Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
jonathan.keeler

Seriously! Wednesday questions in the news section!

No replying to (the first 10) comments! Or do something about the people that just reply to the top comment to get their suggestion seen. Even if you have the third or fourth comment, you will be pushed bellow where people will scroll!
Either that or change the default comment section to be the newest comment at the top so that everyone's comment will be seen!
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
jonathan.keeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #2
jonathan.keeler

bump
You know what would be really sweet? Having a beautiful bird inlaid around the first fret, taking a majestic dump with airborne droppings around the 5th, 7th, 9th frets and so on, with a graceful impact around the 22nd-24th.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
jonathan.keeler

week in bump
Old 05-20-2013, 03:43 AM   #4
jonathan.keeler

bump
Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
jonathan.keeler

This is a disgrace. If this was another forum like sevenstring.org, the mods would have at least acknowledged this.
Serious disrespect!

---edit---

**** this, i'm making this bold

Last edited by jonathan.keeler : 05-21-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:38 AM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan.keeler
**** this, i'm making this bold

oh snap nigga, shit's gettin real
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
PanamaJack666

I agree!
PanamaJack666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Hydra150
not so cowardly

I don't
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #9
Roc8995

I don't see any major utility in making this change. Most news articles don't get enough comments for this to be an issue, and if there's really that much to be discussed on a news article, maybe it should be done on the forums instead, where there's a better infrastructure for dialogue. The whole point of news article comments is to get quick reactions to the news as it's released, so there's not really a lot of value in putting someone's comment at the top just because they typed it out three days after everyone else stopped commenting or reading.

If anything it would make some sense to sort by the thumbs up/down score. But sorting newest at the top doesn't seem like a beneficial change.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!

Maybe they should change these 'Wednesday questions' into a different format entirely to the lame as shit 'highest rated wins'.

There are a ton of different, more reliable ways to do these kinds of lists and the comment liking thing is the worst of them. What is the point in even making a list if the winners are whoever was mentioned in a comment first?

Another thing, if somebody sees a band and song they like in a comment, they are likely to 'like' the comment despite whether or not they think it deserves 'best rock riff' or something just because they saw it. Totally reliable eh?

I know it's supposed to just be a 'fun thing' but I don't see anything fun about inaccurate lists based on horrible voting systems. I may aswell just go to a bar and ask what the drunk punters opinion is because it will be more accurate.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:37 AM   #11
Hydra150
not so cowardly

How about make it so that whoever publishes these articles has a choice between the current mode of commenting and a similar version which has the reply thread functionality disabled entirely, so that any new post appears at the bottom rather than being attached to the comment it is replying to. This mode should only be used on articles like those described in OP, where users obnoxiously reply to a first/second post to give their own unrelated opinion/idea (in other articles/lessons, I think the system works fine).

Put some buttons at the top of the comments section giving options on how to display/sort comments, either newest or oldest first, and highest rated first.

Also, I don't know if you guys have gotten round to implementing [spoiler] tags in the comments at all yet, but when you do if would be cool if you could make it so that embedded YouTube videos automatically have the [spoiler] tags thrown around the [url] tags, for ease of loading/scrolling the page. That isn't really an issue on the forums.
Quote:
Old 05-21-2013, 06:10 PM   #12
bustapr
Marty's loyal follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
I don't see any major utility in making this change. Most news articles don't get enough comments for this to be an issue, and if there's really that much to be discussed on a news article, maybe it should be done on the forums instead, where there's a better infrastructure for dialogue. The whole point of news article comments is to get quick reactions to the news as it's released, so there's not really a lot of value in putting someone's comment at the top just because they typed it out three days after everyone else stopped commenting or reading.

If anything it would make some sense to sort by the thumbs up/down score. But sorting newest at the top doesn't seem like a beneficial change.

regular news articles are about reactions to news, but wednesday questions are about making a suggestion and voting. theres benefits to making the last comment on top because in most articles, the first comments get the most votes. those questions articles DO get massive amounts of comments and not everyone takes the time to scroll through all of them.

one thing Ive noticed about the questions articles and I think should be fixed is that many people are making their own suggestions and downvoting the rest of the suggestions. in an article of this kind, there shouldnt even be the option to downvote. just vote up if you like the suggestion, or not vote for it if you dont. the only real use a downvote button has in that article is to troll other suggestions.

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
bustapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
jonathan.keeler

Good to see some response on here
There are some good points coming up as well and I know its not the most important thing in the grand scheme of things, but it can be quite annoying when three or four of the songs on the list are replies to the first comment and some people are replying to the first comment with songs that have already been posted further down.

---edit---

I think it would be easiest to cut out replies to the first 5-10 comments or stop replies all together on these questions

Last edited by jonathan.keeler : 05-22-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Rate This Thread: