Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 AM   #1
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

No-tempo practice?

So I keep coming across this practice technique, but I can't seem to find where anyone goes into detail about it. Any one wanna explain what it is for me?
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Basically it's practising without a tempo. Sometimes, even when you do things very slowly, you will have certain bad habits occur. During "No-tempo" practice you work on eliminating those bad habits by going as slow as you need to for every note, whether in time or not.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:35 AM   #3
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Hmm... That seems kind of counter-productive. It seems like that would give you bad timing, but I can also understand using it to eliminate bad habits. I might try it here and there and see what comes from it.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Basically it's practising without a tempo. Sometimes, even when you do things very slowly, you will have certain bad habits occur. During "No-tempo" practice you work on eliminating those bad habits by going as slow as you need to for every note, whether in time or not.

Not to be a smart ass, but doesn't that still have a tempo? A really slow one sure.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #5
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

the no-tempo thing seems alot like guitar meditation, and boring as hell lol...watched a video of a guy playing "stairway to heaven" dude took 10 seconds to go to the next note, felt like falling asleep. Think if I practiced the no-tempo method, i'd stop 1/4 the way through and end up taking a nap. Think dropping the tempo down to half the BPM is good enough for me.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #6
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Haha I saw that video. And no joke dude, there's been a couple of times where I practiced really slow like that and took a nap afterwards. hahaha
Old 05-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Dreamdancer11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardlycore
Hmm... That seems kind of counter-productive. It seems like that would give you bad timing, but I can also understand using it to eliminate bad habits. I might try it here and there and see what comes from it.

Counter productive is practising with a metronome when you are not really great technique wise.That basically makes you good at making...mistakes.No tempo helps you concentrate on what really matters...relaxation,finger independence,economy of motion etc etc etc.A metronome does nothing for your technique,only for your timing.

Last edited by Dreamdancer11 : 05-12-2013 at 02:45 AM.
Dreamdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo
Not to be a smart ass, but doesn't that still have a tempo? A really slow one sure.

Well yes and no, I guess you could say it has a tempo in that there is probably an identifiable tempo between any two sounds but the point is that everything takes exactly as long as it needs so it's likely to be hugely inconsistent.

As much as anything else, the "no tempo" moniker is to emphasis that there's no metronome and speed is the furthest thing from what is trying to be achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
the no-tempo thing seems alot like guitar meditation, and boring as hell lol...watched a video of a guy playing "stairway to heaven" dude took 10 seconds to go to the next note, felt like falling asleep. Think if I practiced the no-tempo method, i'd stop 1/4 the way through and end up taking a nap. Think dropping the tempo down to half the BPM is good enough for me.

It's not meant to be watched but if it's boring while you're doing it then you're not thinking nearly enough. The whole point of doing it is so that you can focus with absolute clarity on every aspect of what you're doing without having anything to distract you. I suppose in that fashion it is somewhat like meditation but then that's an internal thing as well; no one is really supposed to see it and if they do it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr : 05-09-2013 at 02:59 PM.
Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamdancer11
Counter productive is practising with a metronome when you are not really great technique wise.That basically makes you good at making...mistakes.No tempo helps you concentrate on what really matters...relaxation,finger independence,economy of motion etc etc etc.A metronome does nothing for your technique,only for your timing.

Yeah, I tried out a little no-tempo practice today and saw instant improvement. My fingers moved more precisely and it just felt much more natural. I'll definitely be doing more of it.

But, how often should a player practice with no-tempo? I was starting off with it, then going to a slow tempo > Medium> Then finally fast tempo. Should I do it last or does it not matter?

And that's probably the first time I've heard someone say a metronome doesn't help your technique. :p
Old 05-09-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
But, how often should a player practice with no-tempo? I was starting off with it, then going to a slow tempo > Medium> Then finally fast tempo. Should I do it last or does it not matter?

For my money it depends on what you're doing. I separate "practice" from "learning". Practice I generally do as a no-tempo thing; work exclusively on things I know I'm not good at, areas of my technique that are weak and so on. Learning follows the standard metronome thing and is something I do to learn songs or licks.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #11
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
For my money it depends on what you're doing. I separate "practice" from "learning". Practice I generally do as a no-tempo thing; work exclusively on things I know I'm not good at, areas of my technique that are weak and so on. Learning follows the standard metronome thing and is something I do to learn songs or licks.

Makes sense. Do you use no-tempo as a standard, everday practice, or is it every now and then when you feel you need to work a certain flaw?
Old 05-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
wiggedy

Quote:
So I keep coming across this practice technique, but I can't seem to find where anyone goes into detail about it. Any one wanna explain what it is for me?

Search "Jamie Andreas guitar principles" on youtube. She wrote a book and made a video when she was he.
wiggedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #13
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Makes sense. Do you use no-tempo as a standard, everday practice, or is it every now and then when you feel you need to work a certain flaw?

I don't have the time like I used to for practice so most of the time these days I try and focus on learning songs for my band, trying to write material and all that.

That said, if I did have the time to practice a lot every day I would definitely make no-tempo a pretty big part of what I do; maybe half an hour to an hour depending on how much time you have to actually practice should be enough to make noticeable improvements in what you do.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #14
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiggedy
Search "Jamie Andreas guitar principles" on youtube. She wrote a book and made a video when she was he.

I have, in fact I think that was the first place I heard about it. But everywhere I read about it, she (hopefully) just mentioned it and didn't explain the technique. I'm sure it's described in full in her book.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:09 PM   #15
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I don't have the time like I used to for practice so most of the time these days I try and focus on learning songs for my band, trying to write material and all that.

That said, if I did have the time to practice a lot every day I would definitely make no-tempo a pretty big part of what I do; maybe half an hour to an hour depending on how much time you have to actually practice should be enough to make noticeable improvements in what you do.

Okay awesome man, I appreciate the helpful input! I'm definitely going to use it regularly, because I like what came from it today.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #16
Freepower
v It's Back! :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowofravenwo

Nope, if you're playing at a tempo, there is a time the next note MUST arrive at. When you play no tempo, you MUST execute the movements correctly, regardless of the timing. The priorities are switched.

Quote:

As often as you need to - no tempo practice is awesome for correcting old bad habits, eliminating tension, improving economy of motion... all the fine optimisation of technique.

On the other hand, it's useless for timekeeping, ear training and learning easy tunes.

In short, it's a practice tool. What you asked is kind of like asking a carpenter how often you should use a saw.
Freepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 AM   #17
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by flissful
I don't find it very helpful. I only ever use it when I'm still learning how a section goes, and therefore can't keep to a steady beat... Personally I think metronomes are much more useful

I'm exactly the same way. I only DON'T use one when I'm just first learning the material.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:39 AM   #18
jamesfarnando
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenoath
I'm exactly the same way. I only DON'T use one when I'm just first learning the material.

i have been playing for the last 2 years, i learned most of the stuff from youtube, its a great source. but i think now i need professional help

------
Rajasthan Tour Package
Rajasthan Tour Packages Canada Immigration

Last edited by jamesfarnando : 05-13-2013 at 07:48 AM.
jamesfarnando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #19
Sickz
Jazz Musician

I'd personally recommend it. I learn most of my stuff by no tempo practice. The only time i really use a metronome is when i am working on sight reading.

But everyone is different, i don't practice with a metronome that much and some of my friends practice exclusively with metronomes. It's what works for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #20
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
I'd personally recommend it. I learn most of my stuff by no tempo practice. The only time i really use a metronome is when i am working on sight reading.

But everyone is different, i don't practice with a metronome that much and some of my friends practice exclusively with metronomes. It's what works for you.

I fully understand. I think I've been brought up being taught to always practice with a metronome, so it seemed a little weird to me at first. But I'm always open for new things.

Since I posted this I've been using a combo of metronome and no tempo practice, and I'm seeing improvements. So I have no complaints. :p

Rate This Thread: