Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 AM   #1
JacobD23

Gibson LPJ Vs PRS SE Custom 24

Hi all,

I'm brand new to the forum and apologise in advance if I have posted in the wrong area, we all have to start somewhere, right? haha.
Im sure you've heard the same old story before but I am in the market for a new guitar, I currently play an Epiphone SG G-310 which I have significantly modified to keep up with my advancing skill set, but now it's time to upgrade.

I play anything and everything from Country/pop rock (Keith Urban/Lady Antebellum) to PopPunk (Blink182/NewFoundGlory) to Alternative Rock (Weezer/Kings of Leon/Band of Horses) and then all the way to Hardcore-ish (A Day to Remember) So the guitar would obviously need to be very versatile and comfortably handy these genres.

I would love to be able to go to a guitar shop and try these axes out, but unfortunately the local guitar shops don't stock higher end guitars like gibson or Prs, and the best shop which is 3 hours away doesnt stock either guitar, so i will have to order online.

my SG G-310 has a Fattish neck but the fretboard isnt overly wide, Satin or Glossy neck doesnt worry me as I play Rythm and dont find myself shredding up and down the neck all that much.

In conclusion, I was after some opinions from people who have played/owned one or both of these guitars in the past, what you love, what you dont and also if you can think of another guitar that might be what im after then I would love suggestions as long is it is around the $1000 mark give or take. Thank you in advance for your time and trouble, it is very much appreciated =)
JacobD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
desperatechris
Banned

Get the PRS.
desperatechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #3
resum

Get the Gibson.
resum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

To be honest, both are very good guitars and will probably do what you want. Personally I would choose the Gibson, but other people will disagree.

Unfortunately, choosing a guitar is a very personal thing and the only true answer is to go to a shop and try them for yourself.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:08 AM   #5
Zoomyrs1

I have a Les Paul SL (think a SG shaped like a LP) and a PRS SE24 Custom.

The Paul has the 60 "fast" neck on it, I prefer the SE in that case. The PRS carries more mid-range tonally, but that would be a bit different with an American PRS, they going to be better wood.

Playing around with a LP Custom shop a CE22 and P22 at a local store I'd say it depends really.

The necks on the PRS are better for my hand, that will vary player to player, I live thin and wide. The Les Paul......well its a Its a Les Paul, there are certain tones that you are ONLY going to get with a Log and that is that. The CE22 is close in the clean department, and once you start adding distortion the CE sounds better for a number of sounds IMO. That is just me, the P22 is MUCH more versatile, with both standard electric pickup and a piezzo it has a much wider tonal variety than most standard electrics.

....as noted above, only you can decide what is best for you. I bought my SE without playing it first, I knew relatively what I was getting though. I wouldn't have bought my Gibson without getting my hands on it first. I actually chose it over a Studio at the time, as a Standard was well out of my price range.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
RedJamaX

Two really great options, with two very different feels and sounds... The quality of construction will be very similar (nice to see Gibson offering some decent guitars at affordable prices, now we just need some classic finishes).

The LPJ is going to have a fat neck, very full feeling. I find that very comfortable, especially for rhythm. The LPJ's at Sweetwater have the 490R/498T combo which is going to give that classic Gibson Sound, very beefy mids and lows with smooth highs.

The PRS SE has a wide thin neck. If you don't know how that feels, I suggest you go find one and play it before you decide on the PRS SE. Also, the SE pickups will have less mids and more highs. Other options for the PRS SE you may want to consider are the Santana or the Akerfeldt (spelling??). Both of these have the Wide-Fat neck profile so they will feel more like your SG than the Custom 24. The Akerfeldt has 24 frets with the same pickups as the Custom 24 (HFS Treble, Vintage Bass). the Santana has 22 frets with Santana SE pickups which produce more lows and mids than HFS/Vintage (although, not as beefy as the LPJ).

Between the LPJ and the SE Custom 24... I would go for the LPJ. Throw in the SE Santana and the SE Akerfeldt and it's a toss up... just depends on what sound you want at that point.

Again, I really recommend that you see what a wide thin neck feels like before you buy one... A Gibson with the 490R/498T combo should not be hard to come by to hear the sound, and almost every PRS SE has the picks found in the custom 24, along with the wide-thin neck.

Good Luck!!

Last edited by RedJamaX : 05-09-2013 at 08:58 AM.
RedJamaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
JacobD23

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm still torn, there are features that are very appealing on each guitar, such as the coil tapping and Trem on the PRS, Ive been looking for a guitar that is capable of producing some twangy sounds for country and jazz, I was a initially drawn to a Fender Tele but my research leads me to believe the stock models are a bit one dimentional, but at the same time I love the thick and rich tone of les pauls (who doesn't though?) and the price point is incredible for an american made guitar, the finishes however do leave a little to be desired on the LPJ, whereas the PRS's Look gorgeous, If the PRS Santana had Coil Tapping I would probably be sold! haha. What are peoples thoughts on the new Gibson Les Paul Studios? am I right in believing they are coil tappable, and could you justify spending the extra money as opposed to the LPJ?

cheers =)
JacobD23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

I know my Les Paul Studio isn't one of the tapped models, but the guitar itself is great. Remember that with a Studio you're essentially getting the same guitar as a Standard that would cost twice as much, just without the decorative elements of the guitar - all the pickups & hardware etc are essentially the same.

As you're considering tapped guitars though, have you looked at the Vox SSC55? It's pickups are designed to work as humbuckers, single coils and p90s, so you'd be getting even more options than you would with just a normal coiltapped guitar. I tried one recently in my local shop and loved it, it jumped straight to the top of my shopping list.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
JacobD23

Wow!, the Vox series 55 double cutaway is Trans red really jumped out at me, Incredible innovation, the neck looks very wide though, it may just be the pictures im looking at, nearest guitar shop that stocks them is a full day trip there and back though! hahah
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #10
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Is it the same shop that also stocks the Gibson & PRS you're considering? I think you need to get a road trip planned
Jet City JCA22H
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
RedJamaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Is it the same shop that also stocks the Gibson & PRS you're considering? I think you need to get a road trip planned

Agreed!!

If it's 3hrs away... so what... Drive 3 hours... stay for 6 hours and play EVERY GUITAR they have on the wall! At least then you'll have a better idea of what you do and don't like when considering feel and sound..

And go ahead and grab those $2500 Gibson models and PRS models off the wall... not for the serious purchase consideration, but just to see what the difference is in feel and sound when compared to the $600 range. Sometimes you will be really impressed, and other times you will not.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #12
JacobD23

Hahaha! Unfortunately it's in the complete opposite direction!, Im starting to think the the PRS SE Custom 24 is my best option, Im not so attatched to the epiphone/gibson style necks, and Im looking for a best of both worlds guitar (Gibson/Fender) and it seems like PRS really hits that market. The Coil Tapping and Trem are big possitives and the stuff that is coming out of Korea these days isnt the worst, and reading reviews its appearent that the PRS QC is of a really high standard. The only thing that this guitar is missing is binding on the fret board, but I guess costs have to be cut and that is perfectly understandable.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #13
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

They're opposite guitars, really. The tone isn't the same, the feel isn't the same, the weight, control layout, look... they share nothing in common. You can't compare these two.

The only thing that can really be said is that the LPJ wil be, objectively speaking, the better-made guitar. However, Gibsons, especially the lowest- and highest-end ones, vary a lot in terms of tone and neck profile. You have to go play them for yourself. Buying blind really isn't much of an option with them.
The PRS SEs, on the other hand, are very consistent. No part of them is as well-made as the Gibson, and they're rather overpriced (Cort offers the same guitar for a third less, among many other Korean brands), but every single one of them will have the exact same neck and sound, so if you have to order one blind you have a better idea of what to expect.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
l3p4rd
ponx

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
They're opposite guitars, really. The tone isn't the same, the feel isn't the same, the weight, control layout, look... they share nothing in common. You can't compare these two.

The only thing that can really be said is that the LPJ wil be, objectively speaking, the better-made guitar. However, Gibsons, especially the lowest- and highest-end ones, vary a lot in terms of tone and neck profile. You have to go play them for yourself. Buying blind really isn't much of an option with them.
The PRS SEs, on the other hand, are very consistent. No part of them is as well-made as the Gibson, and they're rather overpriced (Cort offers the same guitar for a third less, among many other Korean brands), but every single one of them will have the exact same neck and sound, so if you have to order one blind you have a better idea of what to expect.

This is true. But I want to add I played an LPJ 2 days ago expecting garbage because I've known gibson for putting out cheap guitars that I've thought were awful and I absolutely loved it! The reasons I loved it were because of the way it felt though, I would for sure want to invest in some new pickups to drop in it because the stock were a little lacking in my opinion.

That being said, with the pickup upgrade this guitar will do everything you want it to do hands down. The fact that it's got no laquer was something that I really liked about it because it felt smooth and not sticky, but this also makes it less pretty/flashy (which is also kind of cool to have a rugged looking guitar)

I'll also add that I'm really just not a fan of PRS guitars though.
Gretsch G5120
l3p4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
RedJamaX

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p4rd
This is true. But I want to add I played an LPJ 2 days ago expecting garbage because I've known gibson for putting out cheap guitars that I've thought were awful and I absolutely loved it! The reasons I loved it were because of the way it felt though, I would for sure want to invest in some new pickups to drop in it because the stock were a little lacking in my opinion..

according to the specs, the LPJ uses the 490R and 498T... those in used in Les Paul's that cost $3000... how could it be just the pickups that are lacking?? *
Old 05-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #16
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3p4rd

That being said, with the pickup upgrade this guitar will do everything you want it to do hands down. The fact that it's got no laquer was something that I really liked about it because it felt smooth and not sticky, but this also makes it less pretty/flashy (which is also kind of cool to have a rugged looking guitar)
They have lacquer, it's just not a high-gloss one.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #17
Zoomyrs1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobD23
Hahaha! Unfortunately it's in the complete opposite direction!, Im starting to think the the PRS SE Custom 24 is my best option, Im not so attatched to the epiphone/gibson style necks, and Im looking for a best of both worlds guitar (Gibson/Fender) and it seems like PRS really hits that market. The Coil Tapping and Trem are big possitives and the stuff that is coming out of Korea these days isnt the worst, and reading reviews its appearent that the PRS QC is of a really high standard. The only thing that this guitar is missing is binding on the fret board, but I guess costs have to be cut and that is perfectly understandable.

I have a SE 24 Custom, its a really good guitar for the money, there are no visible manufacuring flaws, and it compares well to my American Les Paul SL.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
jkielq91

PRS. Great guitar. The pickups make great humbiuckers and singles, the neck is super comfy, the guitar is a nice weight, nice resonance.

I have never played an LPJ, but I would guess it has a bigger neck than the PRS. For me the neck is incredibly important, so I would judge the verdict largely on that.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #19
gregs1020
Hi mom!

the PRS.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #20
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBillington
Unfortunately, choosing a guitar is a very personal thing and the only true answer is to go to a shop and try them for yourself.

Oh my goodness. Finally someone who gets it. Listen to this man - wise words.

Recently I was approached by a young guitarist who wanted advice on choosing a guitar. He had fallen in love with Telecasters, but his friends from school filled his head with all sorts of rubbish on what to buy. After a very long chat with me I realised what had happened, and told him to follow his heart. He got the Tele and has since graduated, and he sounds fantastic. But I digress ...

I'm a Gibson I must admit, and if it were me the choice may boil down to pickup selection. I would think for country you'd be wanting single coils, and for the heavier stuff a bridge humbucker at least. I'd lean more towards the PRS SE only because I reckon you could pick up something more versatile than just two humbuckers. That said, again personal preference, and I'm doing just fine with two 'buckers
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: