Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
NapalmBreakfast

Bla-bla-bla Whats the difference between guitar and bass playing?

I'm serious this has never been clarified for me, and its quite obvious that the four strings of a typical bass are the same ones of a guitar? Honestly, other than technique (slapping etc.) what's the difference?

I'm a drummer and I need my guitarist! See profile.
NapalmBreakfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
Shor

Listen...to...music.

Seriously..listen to music.. and listen to what the bass does and what the guitar does.

edit: And just as importantly...listen to how the drums interact with the bass or vice versa depending on how you look at it.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #3
anarkee
oh the horror!

The bass player's function, along with the drums, is to be the engine that drives the car... everything else is merely colours.--

Suzi Quatro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #4
maXterbat0r

Bass tends to cover more of the rhythm/lower frequencies, while guitar is more free to add colour in chords and such and take a more melodic role.

Bass strings are the same notes as the 4 lowest strings of a guitar, but these are an octave lower. This makes it so the bass can cover a different sonic space than guitar tends to.
maXterbat0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
5_Years_Dead
Banned

The guitar is a wind instrument, you gotta blow to make it work. The bass is percussion instrument, you gotta beat on it to make it work.

Ask me anything. I got all the answers.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
AndyGray
UG Addict

What a ******ed question. They produce different sounds, have different roles & shut your damn mouth

AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Tumbledryer

Duff McKagan said that a guitar is like a ballet dancer and the bass is a street dancer, the two are different and should be used to blend together all the instrument to create the song just the same as drums and vocals

Another common image is the bas being a bridge being the drummer and the guitar. You can tell a good drummer and guitarist by hearing the record but often the bass only stands out when a really good one is playing, not that a bassist should be showy all the time just that it shouldn't be played because you think it has to be it should just compliment the whole song.

London Calling by the Clash is my favourite bass line, it isn't copying the guitar itís doing its own thing. Adding the low apocalyptic bass line really blend well with the whole feel of the song.

Last edited by Tumbledryer : 05-09-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Tumbledryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
ElliottJeffries

Bass has a lot less notes, is a little more precise and you have to play in the "pocket". This while playing a riff that supports the song, adds harmony or dynamics and enhances the rhythm. While this might sound technical, it's mostly feeling a way to make groove in a song by dancing with the drums and the music. Unless the guitar player and drummer have a specific thing they want the bassist to do, it's a balance between counterpoint and accent.

Pay no attention to people on forums trying to put other people down by saying their questions are dumb. They are just jealous that they were not brave enough to ask themselves. Then they post comments that waste our time and make themselves look pathetic. Sad.

Last edited by ElliottJeffries : 05-09-2013 at 02:55 PM.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
NapalmBreakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGray
What a ******ed question. They produce different sounds, have different roles & shut your damn mouth!

Why is it a bad question? The only bad question is the one you don't ask henceforth you never learn anything. I just needed a informative response and working definition to go by. As some more educated people above and below you did.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #10
glass_satellite
bass player

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJeffries
Bass has a lot less notes but more precise and you have to play in the "pocket". This while playing a riff that supports the song, adds harmony or dynamics and enhances the rhythm.

Not necessarily true at all. Many different examples of bands with busier bass playing than guitar.

It's true that bass is the backbone, but it can be as simple or as complex as the bassist feels is appropriate for the song.

The "pocket" is a totally subjective thing, and is by no means only playing ho-hum bass lines.
glass_satellite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
ElliottJeffries

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_satellite
The "pocket" is a totally subjective thing, and is by no means only playing ho-hum bass lines.

The pocket is only subjective if you can't feel it. When you can feel it, when you're inside it, nobody's questioning it unless they're not into the particular style of music that's being played.

Last edited by ElliottJeffries : 05-09-2013 at 03:07 PM.
ElliottJeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #12
Hail
kill both bass players

the bass sounds good if you solo on it
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:45 PM   #13
NapalmBreakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_satellite
Not necessarily true at all. Many different examples of bands with busier bass playing than guitar.

It's true that bass is the backbone, but it can be as simple or as complex as the bassist feels is appropriate for the song.

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Old 05-09-2013, 03:48 PM   #14
NapalmBreakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElliottJeffries
Bass has a lot less notes, is a little more precise and you have to play in the "pocket". This while playing a riff that supports the song, adds harmony or dynamics and enhances the rhythm. While this might sound technical, it's mostly feeling a way to make groove in a song by dancing with the drums and the music. Unless the guitar player and drummer have a specific thing they want the bassist to do, it's a balance between counterpoint and accent.

Pay no attention to people on forums trying to put other people down by saying their questions are dumb. They are just jealous that they were not brave enough to ask themselves. Then they post comments that waste our time and make themselves look pathetic. Sad.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:43 PM   #15
Zaqq

The bass is tuned the same as the double bass (contrabass), its tuning actually has nothing to do with the guitar. Having checked the TS's profile I doubt it was a serious question at all.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
anarkee
oh the horror!

This thread is going to why "Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket"

Closing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: