Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Reddaz

UK The One Millionth Bass Amp Thread

I know this gets asked all the time on here but I'm looking for Bass Amp advice!

I'm usually more of a guitarist (go figure?), so while I know a little bit about guitar amps I'm still fairly clueless about bass amps. I've had a string of bass amps and never been happy with them!

The 2 things I'm looking for more than anything are:
Lots of clean low end at high volumes
Reliability

I'm currently running a Peavey Tour 700 through either a matching TVX 1X15 8ohm Cab or a TVX 4X10 4ohm Cab (I've not noticed a significant volume boost running both). Despite having 700 watts to play with to be remotely audible above drums and with guitar I have to cut all the bass from the EQ and sound crap. I've also being running this at it's limit for so long that the head packed in the other day, which will require repairing

Before this I owned an old 2nd hand Trace Elliot half stack (no idea of the model, but the head was lit up by a neon inside?). This just did an overdriven bass tone which isn't my bag. Surprisingly the amp I was most pleased with was a Crate 220 1X15 combo I bought 2nd hand dirt cheap years ago, as it had the tone and volume level I was after, but it broke after 6 months
Blah blah blah here's the skinny:

Budget - 1000, 100 or 2 over if its really worth it.

Genres - Modern Rock/Metal, think Alter Bridge, Dream Theater, Black Stone Cherry, newer Alice In Chains.

New or Used - Preferably new due to bad experiences with used bass gear.

Home or Gig - Gigging. 2 guitarists use a Blackstar Series One 200 and an old 100 Watt Randall into 4X12 cabs

Closest City - Preston, Lancs UK (Though Manchester is better for gear)

Current Gear - Ibanez BTB into a Peavey Tour 700 head and Peavey TVX 4X10

Probably leaning towards something with a 1X15 because I'm all about the low end, but open to any suggestions.
MXR EVH Phase 90//Black Label Chorus
Peavey 6505 Head//Crate G412SL 4X12 Cab

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Peavey Tour 700 Head//410 TVX 4X10 Cab
Hear My Band
Reddaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Ippon
Amped

I'm GASing for a MarkBass TTE 500. Worked very well with 2 EVM15Bs and was louder through 4 EVM12Ls.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

How much does Hartke's Kilo bass head cost over there? It would certainly do what you want it to do. It should sound good with your Peavey cabinets, too. It costs about US$1,000.00 in the U.S.A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:55 PM   #4
Ziphoblat
Bass

In your position I'd be looking to buy a Barefaced cabinet. Absolutely awesome bits of kit, has completely cured any cabinet-related GAS for me. A S12T will set you back about 900 new but they hold their value, will take nearly anything you can throw at them, and will sound far better with a cheaper head than running an expensive head into a cheaper cab. You'll never need another cab in your life. Would still leave you a few hundred towards an amp, you could pick up something like a Hartke HA3500 or an Ampeg PF500 and have an absolutely killer rig.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Reddaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ippon
I'm GASing for a MarkBass TTE 500. Worked very well with 2 EVM15Bs and was louder through 4 EVM12Ls.
I like the look of MarkBass heads but not too sure about that particular model, seems more geared for an old school bass sound rather than a modern one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalGear41
How much does Hartke's Kilo bass head cost over there? It would certainly do what you want it to do. It should sound good with your Peavey cabinets, too. It costs about US$1,000.00 in the U.S.A.
Found one for just under 700 new. could be a promising replacement for the Peavey Head if it comes to it down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
In your position I'd be looking to buy a Barefaced cabinet. Absolutely awesome bits of kit, has completely cured any cabinet-related GAS for me. A S12T will set you back about 900 new but they hold their value, will take nearly anything you can throw at them, and will sound far better with a cheaper head than running an expensive head into a cheaper cab. You'll never need another cab in your life. Would still leave you a few hundred towards an amp, you could pick up something like a Hartke HA3500 or an Ampeg PF500 and have an absolutely killer rig.
Had a good nosey at the Barefaced stuff because I'd never heard of them, I have to say they seem to talk a lot of sense on their website! Having previously tested different heads as well as running combos into either of my Peavey cabs I see what you mean about a good quality cab being most important, as I don't think they can really accept the heads power (despite supposedly being the matching cabs according to Peavey).

All in all I think I'm leaning towards the Bearfaced cabs, they seem to be on my wavelength Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Old 05-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #6
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

1000 should get you a fairly high end Ashdown.

"I won't waste my love on a nation" BRMC

My Band, RedEye:

http://redeyeband.weebly.com/
RubberSoul54321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberSoul54321
1000 should get you a fairly high end Ashdown.

If mud's your thing you'll get a fair few tones of it for that amount of money I'd imagine.

Quote:
All in all I think I'm leaning towards the Bearfaced cabs, they seem to be on my wavelength Thanks for the help guys, keep it coming!

If you decide to go that route you won't be disappointed!
Old 05-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Dunno about mud - I love the growl I get from mine.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 05-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Ziphoblat
Bass

Quote:

I'm assuming you don't run it into an Ashdown cab, then?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Yep, I do - a 4 x 10. Head's a MAG 300. Bad Monkey OD in front.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
Ziphoblat
Bass

Always found them terribly undefined myself. The dynamics feel limited and whilst there's a reasonable amount of mids I can never get the slightest bit of top end zing.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Maybe I just got lucky but it suits what I play. I've used a shed load of other rigs live at multi-band gigs and can never get the tone I like from anything else. Worst thing I ever used was a GK but I don't know what model it was - deadest sound I ever heard. My MAG rocks but at the end of the day it's all about your own taste. Horses for courses and all that.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 05-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #13
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

i get so lost in these convos...really need to up my amp knowledge, but best advice you can have is play through each one and pick the one that sounds best.
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Reddaz

Quote:

By growl you mean an overdriven tone I presume? Thanks but not what I'm after dude, miles of clean low end head room is the name of the game!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slap-a-bass
i get so lost in these convos...really need to up my amp knowledge, but best advice you can have is play through each one and pick the one that sounds best.

Not gonna lie, had to look up GAS The thing about trying all these amps out is that there aren't that many decent music shops locally. It's horrendous trying to find any sort of choice for decent guitar amps, let alone decent bass amps! Plus cranking it up to what sounds loud in a music shop is far different than cranking it up at band practice, I've learnt that the expensive way!

Bass:
Ibanez BTB 4-string
Hear My Band
Old 05-14-2013, 10:10 AM   #15
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:

we were all there once...no worries. That's what's the forums for, asking these types of questions.

Youtube is a good place to at least get somewhat of an idea of what an amp will sound like. The other thing is to never buy from anywhere, internet or store that doesn't have a 30 day return policy. That way if it really doesn't work out, you can always return it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
RubberSoul54321
UG's Train Wreck

Finding new bass gear in Belfast is damn near impossible. If you don't want a Fender, line 6 or Roland you have to go used. Every shop I asked for something over 150 watts looked at me like I was mad. Pish is all I can say.

My Band, RedEye:

Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #17
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarkee
we were all there once...no worries. That's what's the forums for, asking these types of questions.

Youtube is a good place to at least get somewhat of an idea of what an amp will sound like. The other thing is to never buy from anywhere, internet or store that doesn't have a 30 day return policy. That way if it really doesn't work out, you can always return it.

I can use this advice as im trying to buy my own bass amp in the near future. Does anyone have a problem with MarkBass? Specifically ones that range from 800 to 1100 US dollars?
Old 05-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #18
sam_ofzo

I've got a 121 mini combo and it's great. Never had any issues being heard in my band, even with 2 4x12 guitar stacks, a drumset, keyboard, trombone, trumpet and alt saxophone. And it's got a great DI, so that's rather useful for live situations.

There's another 1x12 extension cab on the way to make it into a mini-stack, but that's more for cleaner headroom and keeping 1 cab at the rehearsal space and 1 cab at home, so I only have to move the head.

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
sam_ofzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Tostitos
Barely Awake

Quote:
Does anyone have a problem with MarkBass? Specifically ones that range from 800 to 1100 US dollars?

No problems at all. I have a Little Mark II (precursor to the LMIII and the other current LM heads) and I love it to bits. Nice and clean and transparent sounding, and it being so easily portable is wonderful.

They make a really solid product. They have a good range of amps and you shouldn't have to worry about quality being an issue.

Spector and Markbass

DeviantART
Crevado
Tostitos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #20
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos
No problems at all. I have a Little Mark II (precursor to the LMIII and the other current LM heads) and I love it to bits. Nice and clean and transparent sounding, and it being so easily portable is wonderful.

They make a really solid product. They have a good range of amps and you shouldn't have to worry about quality being an issue.

oh thats good because quality is all I care about....not to mention these amps are extremely light. Welp, time to stop eating out and save money >:U

Rate This Thread: