Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #1
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Backing Tracks w/ Logic Pro

Not sure if this is the right forum to start this thread. My band is starting backing tracks. We will be using Logic and a small Focusrite saffire. I'm just trying to figure out how I am suppose to set it up in Logic to have two channels and such and anything I suppose I'd need to know. Thanks guys.

Founder of the Official UG Disturbed Club. PM me to Join.

Ultra Magnus of the Autobot Transformers G1 Club
PM Me To Join!

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...ad.php?t=653801
irishmatt1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, I can probably guide you through the process but what do you mean by 'starting backing tracks'? Do you mean...

1) You want to import backing tracks made by somebody else, and mix them to create a backing track you can use live?

2) Same as above, but you want to use Logic live and play them live, rather than giving the drummer a sampler and click track?

3) You want to create your own backing tracks, from scratch, using synths in Logic and your instruments?

4) Something else?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, I can probably guide you through the process but what do you mean by 'starting backing tracks'? Do you mean...

1) You want to import backing tracks made by somebody else, and mix them to create a backing track you can use live?

2) Same as above, but you want to use Logic live and play them live, rather than giving the drummer a sampler and click track?

3) You want to create your own backing tracks, from scratch, using synths in Logic and your instruments?

4) Something else?

Ah, I should have been more specific. Number 3. I would like to create my own with synths and pre-recorded stuff. I want to feed that to the house on one channel and the second channel to my drummer which would contain the tracks and the click track.

PM Me To Join!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Well, if you want to use it live you're probably better making the tracks in Logic and then getting a hardware sampler/putting them on an iPod and then sending them to a splitter or headphone amp, then you can send one mix to the drummer and the other to the FOH mixer.

I mean, if you wanted to do it with Logic and an interface, live, you'd need an interface with two stereo outputs (or aux sends from channels, that you could send to) or to go from the main output into a splitter or headphone amp of some kind, that could allow you to give the drummer a stereo mix and FOH a stereo mix.

Otherwise, you'd be stuck with a mono mix in each channel or giving the left to one and the right to the other.

As for how to set it up - if you're deadset on using Logic live (and bear in mind I wouldn't wanna take my home setup to a gig, or risk any potential crashes/failures or damage), you'd set up two duplicate stereo tracks and send one to the main L-R output, and one to the 3-4 output of the interface, assuming you didn't just use a splitter to send the same stereo signal off to drummer and FOH mixer.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
Well, if you want to use it live you're probably better making the tracks in Logic and then getting a hardware sampler/putting them on an iPod and then sending them to a splitter or headphone amp, then you can send one mix to the drummer and the other to the FOH mixer.

I mean, if you wanted to do it with Logic and an interface, live, you'd need an interface with two stereo outputs (or aux sends from channels, that you could send to) or to go from the main output into a splitter or headphone amp of some kind, that could allow you to give the drummer a stereo mix and FOH a stereo mix.

Otherwise, you'd be stuck with a mono mix in each channel or giving the left to one and the right to the other.

As for how to set it up - if you're deadset on using Logic live (and bear in mind I wouldn't wanna take my home setup to a gig, or risk any potential crashes/failures or damage), you'd set up two duplicate stereo tracks and send one to the main L-R output, and one to the 3-4 output of the interface, assuming you didn't just use a splitter to send the same stereo signal off to drummer and FOH mixer.

Actually I have an interface with two stereo outputs, I actually bought it specifically for this so I wouldn't ruin my home studio stuff.

PM Me To Join!

Old 05-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Well you should be able to route the session to play out to all four outputs. Then just run one set to the board, and another to the drummer via headphones. You should take the session and bounce it down into one stereo track if possible, then there will be less strain on your computer.

I'm not familiar with Logic, but I'm sure if you check out the manual and search it for routing options, you'll get where you need to be.

Oh, and look into a midi footswitch to control when the session starts/stops. You'll probably want your entire set lined up in one session, then the drummer can tap a switch to pause everything. Put a big of a gap between songs, have the drummer hit play when (s)he's ready, then have a drum count-in on each song so you can all come in together.

PS if you haven't already purchased Logic, you should give Ableton Live some serious consideration. It's literally designed for this sort of application.
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite

Last edited by Sid McCall : 05-10-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Sid McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid McCall
Well you should be able to route the session to play out to all four outputs. Then just run one set to the board, and another to the drummer via headphones. You should take the session and bounce it down into one stereo track if possible, then there will be less strain on your computer.

I'm not familiar with Logic, but I'm sure if you check out the manual and search it for routing options, you'll get where you need to be.

Oh, and look into a midi footswitch to control when the session starts/stops. You'll probably want your entire set lined up in one session, then the drummer can tap a switch to pause everything. Put a big of a gap between songs, have the drummer hit play when (s)he's ready, then have a drum count-in on each song so you can all come in together.

PS if you haven't already purchased Logic, you should give Ableton Live some serious consideration. It's literally designed for this sort of application.

I am just really confused as to how to get my tracks to go out the channel I want them too. Especially the click track. Can I use the metronome Logic provides or do I need to create one specially designed for out entire set? And I have had Logic for awhile and I have been told is isn't a problem using it for backing tracks.

PM Me To Join!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

I would create a midi track to be a self-made metronome, aka a wood block that you tap out (copy and paste probably haha) along with each track in your session.

To learn how to send the tracks to the channel you want, read up on routing. That's the keyword for you, there should be a section in the manual about that. Also known as I/O, which you may see written on the tracks in Logic. I know that Ableton has drop down menus on each track in the 'mixer' view that allow you to pick where to route audio to. The interface will have four outputs, grouped as 1/2 (stereo pair one, intended for monitors) and 3/4 (headphones usually). Then you direct each track to one or both of those. You'll send the music to 1/2 and 3/4, and the click to only 3/4.

I don't want to be rude, but at this point everything you need to know is in the manual. Read up on routing.

Have you looked into Mainstage? It works with Logic (you may already have it? I don't know if they bundle it anymore) to make live performance super easy.
http://www.apple.com/logicpro/mainstage/

Edit: looks like it's $29 in the app store. Go buy it, read the manual for it thoroughly, and you'll be good to go!

Last edited by Sid McCall : 05-10-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Quote:
I would create a midi track to be a self-made metronome, aka a wood block that you tap out (copy and paste probably haha) along with each track in your session.

To learn how to send the tracks to the channel you want, read up on routing. That's the keyword for you, there should be a section in the manual about that. Also known as I/O, which you may see written on the tracks in Logic. I know that Ableton has drop down menus on each track in the 'mixer' view that allow you to pick where to route audio to. The interface will have four outputs, grouped as 1/2 (stereo pair one, intended for monitors) and 3/4 (headphones usually). Then you direct each track to one or both of those. You'll send the music to 1/2 and 3/4, and the click to only 3/4.

I don't want to be rude, but at this point everything you need to know is in the manual. Read up on routing.

Not offended haha. You have provided me with a lot of help which I really appreciate. I think Ableton may be on the list of purchases within the year. Just thought I would use Logic because I heard a lot of bands actually use ProTools for backing tracks.

PM Me To Join!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishmatt1992
Not offended haha. You have provided me with a lot of help which I really appreciate. I think Ableton may be on the list of purchases within the year. Just thought I would use Logic because I heard a lot of bands actually use ProTools for backing tracks.

Glad I could help!

Never mind what I said about Ableton, check out the edits I just made to my post about Mainstage. Go get that now if you have a spare $30, it will solve all of your problems and simplify matters.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #11
irishmatt1992
UG Addict

Quote:
Glad I could help!

Never mind what I said about Ableton, check out the edits I just made to my post about Mainstage. Go get that now if you have a spare $30, it will solve all of your problems and simplify matters.

Damn, you truly have helped me now! Thanks again dude.

PM Me To Join!

Old 05-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Sid McCall
(Actually, I'm Scott)

No Problem!

Rate This Thread: