Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
dannyalcatraz

PREACH ON! The Reverend Owner's Thread

REVEREND- a little Detroit area guitar maker (est. 1997 by Joe Naylor) that is not on most people's radar...and that's a damn shame!

Despite their low profile, Reverends enjoy worldwide sales, numerous industry awards, and an artist roster with some pretty impressive names.

The earliest production guitars were all made in the USA, but economic realities have shifted production to Korea. However, each Reverend still has its finishing touches, inspection, and set up in the Detroit location by the same people who have always done it.

Reverend's design approach melds player-friendly features with classic style without actually looking or sounding like imitations.

Quote:
TYPICAL CURRENT PRODUCTION REVEREND GUITAR FEATURES:

PIN-LOCK TUNERS
A thumbwheel under the tuner pushes a steel pin up through the post, locking the string in place for exceptional tuning stability and super-fast string changes. Also, the posts are custom height, eliminating the need for a second string tree.

CUSTOM PICKUPS, standouts include:

RailHammers
New from Reverend founder Joe Naylor, these feature a rail/pole design that keeps the lows tight and the highs fat. (Available separately at www.railhammer.com)

RevTrons
Based on the FillerTron design, but slightly hotter for extra punch and sustain.

Dual-Pro
Based on a mid 1960′s Supro pickup, with a hot single coil and a second blade polepiece in addition to the screw polepieces.

QUALITY TREMOLOS
Wilkinsons & Bigsbys only

GRAPHITE NUT
Reduces friction, allowing the strings to easily slide through the nut slots, improving tuning stability.

KORINA BODY
medium-light weight wood with highly prized for consistency, resonance and tonal qualities.

BASS CONTOUR
A passive bass roll-off does for the low end what the tone control does for the high end, giving you a broader variety of tonal options.

(More and thorough data can be found at RevFan.com.)

Reverend Guitars: if you had one, got one, or want one, post here!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 03-09-2014 at 12:45 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:56 PM   #2
gregs1020
Hi mom!

danny to make this thread more informative to people searching out reverends take a look at how the G&L thread is formatted in the OP. Jake did a great job on that thread and i think that kind of opening will help those searching them out. we can post pics all after the "informative" part with links and pics of different models/specs etc.

i'll delete this so you have the first so many posts whenever you want.

looking forward to this thread!
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:32 PM   #3
dannyalcatraz

Eh..keep it in place as a reminder! No biggie.

And I'll check out the G&L thread when I get back from guitar circle, picking up my cousin after theater arts practice, eating dinner, walk the dogs...

Old 05-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
SteveHOC
Used Register

I'm in! I'll have to take some new pictures though when I get some light. My NGD was too recent to repost the other pictures.

Oh, and Reverend freakin' rules
Old 05-09-2013, 10:24 PM   #5
dannyalcatraz

To start this off, I'm reposting pix of my one and only Rev: a Reverend Flatroc 15th Anniversary Edition (Gold metal flake #5 of 12). Korina body, 25.5" scale. 2 RevTron mini-Humbuckers (based on FillerTrons) and a Bigsby.

The honeymoon period is over, but the love remains! I've tried out a few others since I got mine, and have added some to my G.A.S. list.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

Danny, I think you and I will be contributing to this the most, but I have a question about the Bass Contour and your Flatroc. I'm noticing some diminished volume on the roll off, assuming that it somewhat mimics a single coil. Now, I know you have the Revtrons, but is this something you've noticed as well?

Also, Fender seems to have done something similar to this with their Enforcer humbuckers in their latest HH Jag... I wonder if they're taking cues (ruh-roh, it's like a weak troll).
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 AM   #7
dannyalcatraz

I think I know what you're talking about, but I don't think it is an actual volume loss. I think its an illusion based on how we perceive volume- more bass = louder.

That's just my theory, I don't have a dB meter to back it up.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

always thought they looked cool but never have been able to try one

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #9
samuraigoomba

I really want a Reverend, but I'm not going to have free money for a year or longer. Sigh.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:40 PM   #10
dannyalcatraz

Keep your eyes open, y'all.

They are a small company and hard to find. I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area- a sprawling metropolis of millions- and I have only found one store that stocks them. And THEY only have a few. I actually had to order mine from Tulsa.

And what I got was I just as ready to play out of the box as the ones from that store near me. For the most part, when I've seen them online, there was a discount of a couple hundred bucks. However, the is one retailer that doesn't discount theirs as much- WildWood Guitars- and they have a HUGE inventory, including some guitars with finishes that are exclusive to them.

Heaven help me if I win the lottery...

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #11
SteveHOC
Used Register

See, I'm moving back up north in about a week, to Cleveland. I'm originally from Detroit and still have family there... I plan on making a few trips up there to scope some used guitar shops. I figure, Reverend is based out of Motor City, and the economy sucks. This is a perfect storm for a couple more Reverend NGD threads
Old 05-10-2013, 08:58 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Take the factory tour if they offer one!

Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #13
SteveHOC
Used Register

Heck yeah! I'd like to meet Naylor, but I've heard he's a bit goofy one-on-one.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
voncameron

Hey Danny, check out my store in Grapevine, called Grapevine Guitar Works, we have a lot of Reverend stuff now.
voncameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 PM   #15
SteveHOC
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncameron
Hey Danny, check out my store in Grapevine, called Grapevine Guitar Works, we have a lot of Reverend stuff now.

I'm in south DFW, perhaps I'll be stopping by soon as well... I'm going to end up divorced, I better not!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #16
JustRooster
Organ Donor

I want a Reverend super hard.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #17
SteveHOC
Used Register

Get one and love it harder
Old 05-10-2013, 10:54 PM   #18
bobafettacheese

Great idea for a thread, figured danny would be the one to get this off the ground. Unfortunately, I just got rid of my Reverend to get my DC Les Paul. However, I do plan on buying another reverend very soon. Great guitars!
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncameron

I actually know your store quite well (for the record, it's a nice store!): I was going to buy that blue metal-flake Flatroc 15th Anniversary edition, but you sold it a few hours before I could return!

(I wound up getting that gold one from a store in Tulsa, but had I known about WildWood, I might have gone for a red.)

Anywho, I might get a Vito or Gabrels sig from y'all down the road...

Edit: just checked your site- you really HAVE boosted your Rev inventory! If I see something on the Rev site, can you special order? I like the Vito best in black, for instance.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-11-2013 at 03:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:51 PM   #20
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ordered up a used white Daredevil HB with case for $350. Reverend #2 is on it's way to me! I wasn't crazy about the shape, but I sold my SG and kind of missed the style. Plus, these are spec'd out better than many of the SG's I was looking at, and the fact that they're discontinued kind of adds to the fun factor. Impending NGD! (I'll probably do another dual NGD since I have an ASAT Special that I got on Friday that needs a writeup).

Rate This Thread: