Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #81
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 AM   #82
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
Danny - remember how I had that Daredevil? I had to part with it; that "neck dive" common with SG's was a huge issue with it. It played great and sounded awesome, but since I'm getting back into gigging soon, I just couldn't deal with it. I'll still do a review though once I have some time.

Steve, you're the closest to a Daredevil expert as we have in here.

As you may have read, I'm considering purchasing a Daredevil for a little mod work- pickups, at the very least- to be done by a pro. I don't gig, and I'm not to concerned about neck dive. What is your 2˘?

Old 08-09-2013, 02:34 AM   #83
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Old 08-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #84
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz

Oh man, that is a thing of beauty. Shame it's an auction, even more of a shame that I'm broke right now.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #85
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I wish the seller had a good picture of the damage...I am sorely tempted.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #86
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I bid on that eBay Rev- mynfirst eBay auction, ever- and won!

But I screwed up: I can't pay the way the seller wants (PayPal takes its sweet time getting your account fully up to speed). I suggested he use eBay's Second Chance policy to offer it to the other bidders, but he's still talking to me. If he isn't too listed off, I may be able to send him a Certified Check or money order to pay for it.

In the meantime...they literally do not make them like this anymore: a goldtop Manta!

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/20...reverendgoldtop

Old 08-18-2013, 11:04 PM   #87
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

A cream & tortoise Flatroc on sale!

http://www.tulsaband.com/Reverend-F...Electric-Guitar

Old 08-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #88
samuraigoomba

http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...500-i3084133.gc

This poor lad has been sitting on the GC used website for a solid 6-9 months. $350 for a Reverend? Sounds pretty good to me.

All these tones can be yours! ... If you buy the amp used in the video.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:38 AM   #89
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Found a nifty, must-see site for any Reverend Guitar fan: http://www.revfan.com/index.html

Old 08-24-2013, 07:55 PM   #90
voncameron

Ugh, I'm torn. I either want to get a Sensei RT or a jetstream 290. Can't decide between the Revtrons or the p90s. I have a guitar with humbuckers (lp) and a denelectro with lipsticks, so I want something different. What do you guys think?
voncameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 08:05 PM   #91
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Well...p90s and RevTrons are both different from the usual fare, so I guess that's a dead heat!

In all honesty, I have my Flatroc with the RevTrons and love it. I've got nothing in my collection with P90s, but that will be changing- I have a custom being built with a bridge HB and a P90 in the neck, and will be changing my Dean EVO to a similar configuration. I'm also looking at a Fret-King Super 60 SP, which is a Strat-style guitar with a P90 in the bridge.

To my ears, a mini-humbucker- especially one voiced like the RevTrons- can sound more like a clean singlecoil than most other HBs...while a P90 can get closer to that ballsy HB sound than other singlecoils.

In your shoes...I'd probably go with the Sensei. And that's ONLY because I like the visual aesthetics of that guitar more than the Jetstream.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:27 PM   #92
voncameron

Thanks Danny for the tips! Yea, I was tihkning the Retrons then, because I already have the balls with my dean Evo (Isn't that a sweet guitar, btw? I have the Special, it's a lefty in the tigers eye- absolutely gorgeous) and I have played the Sensei before, I just like how the Revtrons breakup, and I use a lot of effects too.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #93
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

HA! My EVO is a Select with the tigers-eye quilt, too!

Considering that it is a budget guitar, it has never ceased to amaze me how well made it is. For all the crap Dean takes on these boards- some of it quite deserved- my EVO's only flaw seems to be the muddiness of its pickups. I have guitars that cost 40% more that do not hold tune as well as it does.

Old 08-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #94
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

And- not trying to decide anything FOR you- there's another good reason to go for the RevTrons: Reverend doesn't seem to sell them separately anymore.

Sure, there are other miniHBs out there, but I don't know how they compare to the RevTrons.

...which is one reason I've been looking online at some of the used Reverends of late. One sure way to find RTs is on old Reverend guitars!

Old 08-24-2013, 08:53 PM   #95
voncameron

Really? They've stopped making them?? :/ Yea, I've decided, a a Sensei it is. And I do agree with the Evo's pickups, they are a wee bit muddy. You mentioned your slapping a p90 in it as well as a new humbucker?
Old 08-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #96
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

No, they still MAKE RevTrons, but they used to sell them seperaely and no longer do. Which means that you can't get them to put in other guitars anymore.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #97
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncameron
I do agree with the Evo's pickups, they are a wee bit muddy. You mentioned your slapping a p90 in it as well as a new humbucker?

Yep.

Originally- inspired by the Reverend Double Agent- I was going to go with a Bareknuckle Nailbomb HB for thebridge and a Bareknuckle Stockholm HB-Sized P90 for the neck. Then I thought:

"That's just what they're EXPECTING me to do!"

So I thought about it some more. Based on some more veteran players' suggestions, instead of going for cleaner, better pickups that just beef up the EVO, I decided to take the guitar in a different direction.

I eventually decided on getting a Vintage Vibes HB & HBS-P90- haven't decided precisely which- after hearing some demos featuring a LP-style guitar and some of the cleanest P90 tones I have ever heard. Beefy, yes, but still crystal clean. Jazz clean. So my EVO is going to enter tone zones very atypical for that brand!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #98
bobafettacheese

I hate to go against the trons, but p90s are something wicked (in a good way). I think it really depends on what you are after. The p90s in the manta ray I had were surprisingly hot, not like heavy metal hot, but they sounded great. Of course that is a subjective description, but I did use them often to play some foo fighters. That's just my $.02, and I must admit I haven't played the revtrons enough to be an expert.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:50 PM   #99
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

I like the P90 sound, but I personally just had to go for that Flatroc- and its RevTrons- first. As pointed out, I WILL be getting some P90 tones in my near future.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:23 AM   #100
samuraigoomba

Quote:
Originally Posted by voncameron
Ugh, I'm torn. I either want to get a Sensei RT or a jetstream 290. Can't decide between the Revtrons or the p90s. I have a guitar with humbuckers (lp) and a denelectro with lipsticks, so I want something different. What do you guys think?

Such a tough call.

I had some p90s in a cheap Modern Player, and I ended up trading it for a MIK Epi SG. The SG is a fine guitar, but damn I miss those p90s like hell.

I don't really know much about the tonal qualities of revtrons and mini-humbuckers. Maybe someone could tell me what they're like? Do they have kind of a sharp, tinny sound? I would expect they might be good for funk? I dunno.

P90s are amazing, even cheap p90s on cheap guitars. So my first instinct is to say "P90s forever!"

Rate This Thread: