Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-05-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

Line 6 M9/M13

Hey guys, so just today really I got to thinking that I really want an M9...I've known about them for a while now but I always brushed them off since they were a lot of money. However, just today the brain storm came that if I sold off a good chunk of my board which could be recouped through the utilization of the unit, the cost wouldn't be that bad at all. Obviously it's a little unsettling to think of, but I think overall it would be a great idea, considering I have a list of pedals that I'd like to buy in the future that could all be satisfied with the M9 as well.

So now for some questions...first off, anyone have any experience with these units? Has anyone ever sold off their pedals to use one instead?
For anyone that does have either an M9 or M13, is it your pedalboard, or is it just on your pedalboard with other pedals...if so, what do you find it lacks that you use outside pedals for?

In my preliminary brainstorm, I figured some pedals I think I'd need in addition to the M9:
another delay
a volume pedal (and an EXP for the M9)
a looper (I know it has one, but I think it'd be best to have an individual looper
maybe keep my BD-2 or Muff...the M9 has plenty of dirt selections, but these two are both not on the list of features...the Muff is included in the M9 but I take it it's the American version and I love the Russian.

I think that in the long run, such a decision would be more practical and useful for me.
Another question for users...how is the durability? I'd hate to invest in it and sell off back up pedals only to have it break and me be left with nothing.

Thanks so much for any and all help, I know it's asking a lot!! Any other tips/comments on the units would also be appreciated!

Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet : 05-05-2013 at 07:49 PM.
FoolOnThePlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
souperman08

Ahh, it's like this thread was meant for me. My pedalboard has been based around M units for years, and I've only recently stepped down to an M5 purely because I had money to spend and wanted to try out other pedals. I've gigged with all three. They are super durable, I find them to be lacking most in the area of dirt. If you have an amp with an effects loop, the M13 can do the four cable method which helps out. Personally, I think the looper is fantastic and I wouldn't get a seperate one. A word of advice, DON'T get the Line 6 expression pedal, it's worthless. Mine broke about 10 minutes after I unboxed it. Look into getting a Roland EV-5, or a Boss FV-500.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

Oh great thanks!
I've heard that about the dirt...it would seem I might be leaning more towards the M5. I don't think I need mult effects at once if I keep my dirt section...

How is the pitch/harmony settings?
Old 05-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
souperman08

Pretty good to my ears, tracks better than a Whammy IV in my opinion. However, it is not polyphonic. I've been able to use the pitch glide for key changes with my electric mandolin, so the tracking is more than good enough for me.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
dkunick
Waco

Have the M13 and prefer the MXR Phase 90 and my fuzz (SP) to the models, but it does everything else very well. The Tube Comp is a great boost for my EVH head and the 4CM works fantastic...many, many options in this unit. I've gigged with it alone (w/my amp/cab) and it was easy to transport and setup compared to my PT Pro rig. It's definitely a nice option for gigging or rehearsal. I use the Mission Engineering exp pedal (L6 model) and it's solid. Only thing I dislike is not being able to toe down on the pedal to activate the wah, but it's a minor nuisance. For the money it's hard to beat...hell, my PT Pro and two Voodoo Labs power supplies cost almost twice what the M13 alone does.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #6
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

Quote:
Originally Posted by souperman08
Pretty good to my ears, tracks better than a Whammy IV in my opinion. However, it is not polyphonic. I've been able to use the pitch glide for key changes with my electric mandolin, so the tracking is more than good enough for me.

Ahh, so the 12 string effect can't be polyphonic??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Have the M13 and prefer the MXR Phase 90 and my fuzz (SP) to the models, but it does everything else very well. The Tube Comp is a great boost for my EVH head and the 4CM works fantastic...many, many options in this unit. I've gigged with it alone (w/my amp/cab) and it was easy to transport and setup compared to my PT Pro rig. It's definitely a nice option for gigging or rehearsal. I use the Mission Engineering exp pedal (L6 model) and it's solid. Only thing I dislike is not being able to toe down on the pedal to activate the wah, but it's a minor nuisance. For the money it's hard to beat...hell, my PT Pro and two Voodoo Labs power supplies cost almost twice what the M13 alone does.

That's pretty sensible! So you run other pedals with it then?

Last edited by FoolOnThePlanet : 05-06-2013 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:29 PM   #7
dkunick
Waco

You certainly can. Just need to consider where to connect them (pre or loop) and how you align your M13 FX channels to run your scenes. I have 2 channels pre and 2 set to in the loop for wet fx. Though for a basic practice/rehearsal rig I probably wouldn't bother using additional pedals; the M13 just about has it all covered.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
FoolOnThePlanet
Listen to the pillows

Alright, so as it happens, I just got a delay pedal in a trade, and I have a good deal on a PS-6...so for the same price as the M5, I can get the PS6 and a comp like I wanted, and I'll be good to go with my board. I won't have to deal with buying an EXP pedal for the M5, but I'll be missing out on all the fun/cool sounds it can make.

On the other hand if I pass up the PS6, I get the M5 which can theoretically do the main idea of the PS6, though probably less customizable/ less features, and do a comp, and maybe even knock the chorus and wah off my board if it can handle those up to par as well. In the end there will only be one less pedal though when I get my looper...

there's pros and cons of each, what do guys?

Rate This Thread: