Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
TJHague

Amp Suggestions please

So, to start, I should say that my dream amp is a Carvin V3. I bought one at GC 7 months ago and it was awesome. Pro Coverage flat out refused to do the correct repair (despite it being within the liability) and has screwed me out of a lot of money. I got a refund, but it was in the form of a GC gift card. I have a used V3 again, but it sounds nowhere near as good because it doesn't have the Vintage 30 upgrade and has crap tubes (I'm aware that the V3 should be rebiased, but I'm fairly certain these are just crappy tubes) in it. I have been in a lot of contact with GC and they would give me a deal on the speakers and tubes (not the tubes I want though), but that puts the total price I would have spent at near exactly the cost of a brand new V3 with the speaker upgrade. I brought this up, and they can't give me cash back so that I can buy a new one and Carvin won't sell them one to give to me. And, I have no idea how well the previous owner took care of this one, which worries me because I don't trust Pro Coverage enough to ever buy it again.

So, they said they could possibly give me a "killer deal" on amps they do carry. So, I turn it over to you guys for suggestions hopefully...

Budget: I'm not sure what kind of a deal they will give me, but I'd say probably don't suggest anything above $1500 or so. Unfortunately, it must be at Guitar Center.

Genres: I play a lot of metal and rock. I want something versatile. I don't need something that's totally brutal. For reference, on the V3 I had I kept the gain around 6 on the intense setting. I want tight bass on the gain and good cleans. I'm not much a fan of the 6505, so I think that's off the table.

New or Used: Probably new. It will likely be coming from GuitarCenter.com and frankly, after my experiences, I don't trust their used section anymore. If you see an amazing deal used, I'll consider it, but probably not.

Home or Gig: Home right now. This situation has left me without an amp for the past 6 months so the band I was trying to start fell through. Hopefully gigging in the future. I think I would like a 2x12, definitely not bigger.

Closest City: Not really relevant given the situation, but either Akron, Ohio or Cleveland, Ohio.

Current Gear: Peavey Valveking 112 that I am working on repairing so that I can sell. Used to have Carvin V3 (see sob story above). Ibanez RG with SD Invader in bridge. Will soon have another guitar that I'm building, haven't decided on the pickups yet.

My other option is keeping the V3 and upgrading the speakers and putting in new tubes, but I'm not sure that I'm ok with spending the price of a brand new amp of the same kind on a used version when I have no idea how well it was taken care of.

Suggestions?

Last edited by TJHague : 04-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
TJHague

Forgot that I should probably mention what bands I'm into. What I've been listening to lately:

Protest the Hero
AFI
Paramore (prior to the most recent album)
August Burns Red
Oh, Sleeper
BTBAM
Misery Signals
Rush

That's just a few, but those are some of my favorite bands. I am aware that at least a couple of those use the 6505 (which I said I'm not interested in), but I like them for the music and not the tone. *shrug*

I should also note that I don't want an amp that's overly dark sounding. Head/cab would be my preference, because I'm not a very big guy, but combos are definitely not off the table either.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

What you could do (this is just my scheming ways) is get the most expensive amp possible for the best deal possible, something you know is easy to sell, sell it immediately as new on Ebay or the like, and use that money to get a new V3.

Alternatively, I don't think I would let GC walk all over you with this Pro Coverage thing. If they have screwed you, as you say they have, then report their asses to the BBB, or whoever handles these matters. I can tell you now, nothing sounds like a V3 besides a V3, I had one and it was a very unique tone. I wouldn't stop raising hell until I got it right.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Fender "Foto-flame" Stratocaster
Ovation Balladeer (12-string)
dementiacaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
TJHague

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
What you could do (this is just my scheming ways) is get the most expensive amp possible for the best deal possible, something you know is easy to sell, sell it immediately as new on Ebay or the like, and use that money to get a new V3.

Alternatively, I don't think I would let GC walk all over you with this Pro Coverage thing. If they have screwed you, as you say they have, then report their asses to the BBB, or whoever handles these matters. I can tell you now, nothing sounds like a V3 besides a V3, I had one and it was a very unique tone. I wouldn't stop raising hell until I got it right.

Both of those are options that I am highly considering as well...

I fought with NEW (the company that runs Pro Coverage) for a over a month and I've been dealing with Guitar Center for about 3 weeks now (those times don't overlap either) :/ I want to have an amp

Last edited by TJHague : 04-26-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #5
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

I understand, and if it's not worth it to you, then fair enough. I just know if it were my time and money, I wouldn't stop until the company (GC in this case, they sold the service, any shortcomings in that service is their fault) reimbursed me properly, not only the money it cost me, but also the time and hassle.

I will state once again, you aren't going to get anything that sounds like a V3. I think that at this point you have the amp, you should keep it and do whatever you have to to get proper upgrades that would put in on par with your old amp.

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
dkunick
Waco

EVH 5153 50W head and 212 cab, or the new 50W combo...right at your budget and completely awesome.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
TJHague

I would like to keep fighting to actually get what I believe I'm owed. My morale is just getting kind of low because I basically haven't made any ground. Do you think BBB is the best option as far as getting something done for where I'm at now?

I am aware that nothing sounds like a V3, I'm just trying to weigh my options. I'm also a bit afraid to put that much money into this amp since I don't know how well it was treated in the past and if it will crap out on me. If something did go wrong, that would skyrocket the price well above that of a new one.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #8
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJHague
I would like to keep fighting to actually get what I believe I'm owed. My morale is just getting kind of low because I basically haven't made any ground. Do you think BBB is the best option as far as getting something done for where I'm at now?

I am aware that nothing sounds like a V3, I'm just trying to weigh my options. I'm also a bit afraid to put that much money into this amp since I don't know how well it was treated in the past and if it will crap out on me. If something did go wrong, that would skyrocket the price well above that of a new one.

I'm not sure if the BBB is the proper place to take this, but I imagine even if they aren't a call to them could probably help you find the proper way to handle this. They have clearly not stood by their product. Honestly, if you threaten to take it to the BBB to a district manager, I imagine something will come of it.

As far as the amp, find out what a local tech would charge to look it over. It can't be more than $50-75 max, and you can put your fears at ease. My guy does it for $25 bucks (bench fee)

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 04-26-2013, 08:39 PM   #9
Robbgnarly

Actually the BBB is useless at resolving these type of issues. Think of the BBB as the Yelp of the 20th century and that is all
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
dkunick
Waco

Did you buy the V3 on a credit card? If so, dispute it. I've had success disputing charges where the product failed and the company was slow to respond or failed to respond at all.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
Old 04-26-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
Actually the BBB is useless at resolving these type of issues. Think of the BBB as the Yelp of the 20th century and that is all

Yeah, I admittedly don't know who to go to on this one, they were just the only agency I could think of at the moment. Is there anyone that you could go to in these situations?

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 PM   #12
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Jon pretty much nailed this thread.

I like the 5153 Mini and the Egnator Renegade/Vengeance and the Mesa T/A or R/A

I popped onto the GC site for shits and grins and I see a shit ton of cool amps I would consider. Now I have serious GAS again

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Guitar-...tup=Page-22&o=2

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII
Engl Steve Morse
Matchless Avalon
Mesa Roadster
Metro modded Marshall 1986 MKII
Marshall JVMs (kidding)
Fender SuperSonics
Rivera Clubster
PRS Dallas
Bogner Brixton
Brunetti
65 Amps SOHO
VHT Pitbull
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Mesa Road King

Holy shit.

Granted that doesn't cover your cab but it also not set at 'killer deal' pricing.

I realize you are gun shy on the used amp thing but for the most part there is no trouble. Your issue seems very isolated. I'm not trying to minimize your level of frustration. What was actually wrong with the V3?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:33 AM   #13
TJHague

There was a bad capacitor. Capacitors of the right values could be gotten elsewhere, but only Carvin has ones that will fit on the PCB. I was told this by two service centers. One local and the one that the amp is now stuck at. They can't send it back to me because Pro Coverage now owns it.

I explained this on multiple occasions to Pro Coverage and they wouldn't do anything. The first repair center the sent it to sent it back after changing the power tubes (first thing I checked as soon as problems arose) and doing who-knows-what to make the master control section no longer work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementiacaptain
Yeah, I admittedly don't know who to go to on this one, they were just the only agency I could think of at the moment. Is there anyone that you could go to in these situations?

Well, I could call the local BBB, just to see what they say. I could also speak to a lawyer. My school (I'm a grad student) offers legal services which basically gives you access to a lawyer for advice and representation for $9/semester. I probably wouldn't be able to get in to speak to him until thursday or so. I told the guy at Guitar Center that I was going to think about things over the weekend and call back on Monday.

Maybe I should pull the "do I need to take this up with BBB/a lawyer in order to get this problem fixed?"

Does that sound like a good idea? I've just always had trouble with being assertive. :/

Last edited by TJHague : 04-27-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:24 AM   #14
Robbgnarly

Stand your ground if you want your money back. There are some great used amps on GC used site if you look.

I have never liked the V3, but saying that it can only be fixed by Carvin is complete BS. I have caps on my Marshall board that are not PCB mount, you just have to know what your doing.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 09:54 AM   #15
dementiacaptain
Chiefin' Son

Quote:
There was a bad capacitor. Capacitors of the right values could be gotten elsewhere, but only Carvin has ones that will fit on the PCB. I was told this by two service centers. One local and the one that the amp is now stuck at. They can't send it back to me because Pro Coverage now owns it.

I explained this on multiple occasions to Pro Coverage and they wouldn't do anything. The first repair center the sent it to sent it back after changing the power tubes (first thing I checked as soon as problems arose) and doing who-knows-what to make the master control section no longer work...

Well, I could call the local BBB, just to see what they say. I could also speak to a lawyer. My school (I'm a grad student) offers legal services which basically gives you access to a lawyer for advice and representation for $9/semester. I probably wouldn't be able to get in to speak to him until thursday or so. I told the guy at Guitar Center that I was going to think about things over the weekend and call back on Monday.

Maybe I should pull the "do I need to take this up with BBB/a lawyer in order to get this problem fixed?"

Does that sound like a good idea? I've just always had trouble with being assertive. :/

It can't hurt. I am sure that no manager, district or otherwise, wants to hear that a lawyer is getting involved

Gear:
Krank Nineteen80
POD HD300
Gibson SG Faded
Old 04-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #16
bobafettacheese

I think we all feel your pain. Stand your ground, it is your money and you are the one that they should do right by. A lot of times the BBB is not a substantial threat, it's not like going to the teacher and tattling to get some kid in trouble. On the other hand, regardless of how this ends up I would give them a call.

I am not a strongly assertive/confrontational person either, unless you piss me off. It sounds like they are giving you the run around now that they have your money, which is one thing they don't want to lose. Having you buy used is better for them anyway since they paid fractions of what you are paying for the used item. When you bought new they did not make as much money.

If having legal advice is only $9 a semester, jump all over that shit. Stand your ground, I think in the long run they will do right by you because you are spending a good chunck of change. Thats just my 2 cents.
Misc. Pedals
bobafettacheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #17
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

I agree here too BTW. If you really like the V3 and that is all you care about is another V3 then stand your ground. Get the Better Business Bureau involved and take advantage of the legal services from school. I'd be curious to see the Pro Services Warranty coverage (if there is a way to post that), maybe it is on the GC web site. Seems like complete bullshit to me. If GC knows you are contacting the BBB and a legal representative then maybe they will move faster. If you don't do either of these things (BBB, legal) then only you are to blame. Also, make sure you document document and then document some more (if you have not already).

(molteratx - where are you)

Now, if were not super fussed on the V3 then I would take them up on their 'killer deal' offer and grab one of those other amps. It doesn't have to be from your local store either. They ship stuff back and forth to each other all the time so don't let them tell you it has to be from their store. Like I said, this issues seems to be awfully isolated and I personally would not be gun shy about buying used again. Hell if anything, make them throw in a Pro Services warranty for free as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 04-27-2013 at 11:50 AM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #18
mmolteratx
UG God

Quote:
There was a bad capacitor. Capacitors of the right values could be gotten elsewhere, but only Carvin has ones that will fit on the PCB. I was told this by two service centers. One local and the one that the amp is now stuck at.

Bull shit. Carvin is not a capacitor manufacturer. They bought from someone else, meaning the correct cap is available elsewhere. Furthermore, the sizes are pretty much standardized. And even if they were only available through Carvin, they should be able to purchase one directly from them.

Quote:
They can't send it back to me because Pro Coverage now owns it.

Have you actually accepted anything from Pro Coverage? They can only transfer ownership to themselves if you accept a pay out.

Quote:

I'm not entirely sure how much good it will do, but I guess you could try. If you accepted a pay out, Pro Coverage's obligations are done. The terms of the Pro Coverage replacement service (which I just read) state that you will get either a Guitar Center gift card, or a check. However, the repair service terms and conditions are different, and that's what you would have gotten buying a used amp. There's no mention of a gift card/check payout there, but a statement that they will replace the item with a like one that "performs to manufacturer's specifications." So really, they should have given you another V3 with the same speaker. Really this is all Pro Coverage's responsibility though, so I'm not sure how much the guys at GC can do.
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
mmolteratx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
TJHague

Quote:
Bull shit. Carvin is not a capacitor manufacturer. They bought from someone else, meaning the correct cap is available elsewhere. Furthermore, the sizes are pretty much standardized. And even if they were only available through Carvin, they should be able to purchase one directly from them.

I have no idea where Carvin sources the part, but two different service centers have spent a combined 4 months looking for a part that would fit without breaking anything, including attempting contact with Carvin, and the both came to the conclusion that the only way for it to be fixed would be to send it to Carvin.

Quote:
Have you actually accepted anything from Pro Coverage? They can only transfer ownership to themselves if you accept a pay out.

I wasn't given the option of not accepting it. I received a call that said "We have fulfilled our requirements. We won't pay for the repair. Expect a refund in the mail. Bye."

Quote:
There's no mention of a gift card/check payout there, but a statement that they will replace the item with a like one that "performs to manufacturer's specifications." So really, they should have given you another V3 with the same speaker.

That's what I read at first as well, but buried in the same or a nearby paragraph it says something like "subject to the limit of liability". One that works exceeds the limit of liability as described in the terms and conditions. But, I'm pretty sure that it could be a considered a breach of the terms and conditions that they 1. sent it to a place that returned it more damaged than when it was sent and 2. proceeded to send it to a place where we knew it wouldn't be able to be fixed.

Anyway, thanks for all of the suggestions everyone. I'm going to have to spend some time deciding how I want to approach this because I'm not ok with spending $1000+ on an amp that's not what I want. I'll figure something out eventually :/
Old 04-27-2013, 06:54 PM   #20
dkunick
Waco

http://www.ohiolegalservices.org/pu...ms/qandact_view

Another easy and usually cheap remedy when you're in the right, if you're positively in the right.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro

Rate This Thread: