Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-10-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Ippon
Amped

MarkBass TTE 500 and Little Mark Rocker

I've had massive GAS for a MarkBass TTE 500 since 2 years ago when I played one. I had an older Ampeg SVT CL and loved its growl. I was pretty amazed by the TTE 500. I got to play one again this evening and the GAS kicked hard.

The one thing keeping me from pulling the trigger is my curiosity for the Little Mark Rocker, priced the same, New, and always unavailable when I drop by GC or SamAsh.

Anybody auditioned and/or own/ed both? Share something notable?

That's right, massive pics for massive attacks.

BTW, blast from 07-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
Gladly.

I had my first chance to really give it a beating (not literally) last night. It's got a really nice, crispy clean tone. The difference between this and a regular LM I guess is the lack of XLR input and the addition of the "Tube Drive" which I just run a little bit of to add a bit of the fatness out of the tube. It's not switchable which is a shit idea and makes it really impractical, so I busted out my Wounded Paw Battering Ram and it slayed. The Tube Drive does sound nice when run a bit harder, very cutting and can get really dirty but when you take it to extremities (ie past 2 o'clock) it adds bass and things get overly boomy.
It's 500 watts, as the name implies. It kept up with one of my guitarists running a 410 Bassman combo and Vox AC30 in stereo and the other running a 100 watt Marshall turned up as far as they'll go without any break up. One problem, it JUST kept up. No matter how you slice it the Master Volume doesn't do much after about 1 o'clock. Keep in mind my band plays really loud, really, really loud. If I needed to get louder I would've had nowhere to go. I was running it through an Ampeg 610HLF.
I didn't play with the VLE and VPF knobs much, nor did I really research what they actually do, the VPF seems to add a bit of "snap" and the small amount of time I spent with the VLE yielded very little change to my tone.
If I was playing covers, funk or any music that really lets the bass "breathe" a bit more then this would be my go to amp for sure. It makes my 50th Anniversary Jazz Bass sound phenomenal and it loves my Warwick too. But for my band and what I'm doing it gets the job done for what I wanted it for: a small, high-power, light-weight amp I can keep in my cable bag in case my Mesa craps out, which I've been edgy about since I had to get it repaired a couple of months ago.
I saw The Dark Knight Rises today and thought the story was flawed and a tad cliched in places. Cool enough though.
That's about all I can think of to say, any questions just ask me.

Field Marshall 7 strings/ERG e-peen
Ippon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Ippon
Amped

Update: Went with a Genz Benz.

Old 05-19-2013, 10:43 PM   #3
consecutive e
draws 'til death.

I've gigged the shit out of the Little Mark Rocker since I posted that review. It's a good reliable little head, loud enough so far. Still struggled a bit with the band I mentioned in the review, but I'm not doing much of that anymore.
The TTE500 is an amazing head, I'd take it over the Rocker any day of the week. It's louder than the LMR by... a lot. A lot warmer sounding too. If I had the cash I'd have one right now.

Not that that's really relevant now anyway .

The Genz are fantastic amps, may it serve you well!
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
consecutive e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 AM   #4
Ippon
Amped

Quote:
Originally Posted by consecutive e
I've gigged the shit out of the Little Mark Rocker since I posted that review. It's a good reliable little head, loud enough so far. Still struggled a bit with the band I mentioned in the review, but I'm not doing much of that anymore.
The TTE500 is an amazing head, I'd take it over the Rocker any day of the week. It's louder than the LMR by... a lot. A lot warmer sounding too. If I had the cash I'd have one right now.

Not that that's really relevant now anyway .

The Genz are fantastic amps, may it serve you well!

Yea, I was able to get the Ampeg growl with the TTE500 and Ampeg fridge ... which makes me wonder if that 810's "lower" power-handling and "easier" to distort speakers would be hard to reproduce with the higher wattage 810s.

I hesitated and missed a nicely-priced TTE500 ($500).

I need to audition some cabs with that GBE.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #5
Ippon
Amped

For those still interested, I made 3 offers on 3 amps; so, here are 2 - GBE1200 and ShuttleMax 12.2:

I also auditioned a bunch of cabs earlier. Both sound killer through the Aguilar DB810 fridge and I love the Mid punch of the DB412 and the GS412. Aguilar cabs are so pricey. The 412s come close to the signature growl of the distorted and underpowered Ampeg fridge's speakers so I'm really thinking hard about going 412 + 215.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:44 PM   #6
Ippon
Amped

Another:

Old 06-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #7
Ippon
Amped

Yes!