Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
breau

guitar for a brand new guitarist

Hello everyone,

I have just recently started trying to learn how to play the guitar using my moms Epi DR-100 but want to purchase my own guitar as I have just finished university and am moving out and cant bring the guitar with me. Because I am a student and am still not 100% sure I will stick with playing I do not want to spend too much on my new guitar.

I have been looking at 2 different guitars:
1) a Yamaha 325 for 160$
OR
2) a Fender CD-60 for 200$ which also comes with a free hard case

I have heard some negative things about Fender's acoustic guitars but I am looking for any input about the two guitars, which do you think is better, or if you have any suggestions for other guitars around that price. I know that I need to go and play them to see which feels best for me but I would still like to get
some feedback on these 2 guitars

Thanks!
breau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
xxunder-takerxx
The UT

any opposition to used guitars? chances are you'll get better for the money, and cheap guitars usually don't come out of the factory all that well but second hand, someone may have fixed factory issues.
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
xxunder-takerxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
breau

no opposition as long as the guitar is in good condition and has been well taken care of
Old 05-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
supersac

i can definately say that yamaha gutiars are great guitars for the price

ive found many of them in used yard sales and fleamarkets for about 40-50 bucks or so and i have a couple of them for students to play on or freind to jam with when theyre here

but yeah going used would be your best bet for affordable and quiality

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #5
ghobby

If you buy used make sure to take someone who knows a bit about guitars to have a look with you.

If you want new and are willing to go up to 200, look at the Yamaha FG700, its got a solid top(not laminate) and it sounds decent and stays in tune. You would be hard pressed to find any negative comments/reviews about it.

Good luck and have fun looking.
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

don't buy used if you're new to guitars. bringing a friend can be helpful, but my experience is that most of my guitar-playing buddies (including some who have been playing for decades) don't actually know much about guitars but they think they do. being a player doesn't make you a guitar tech.

the F325 is a good sounding guitar for an all-laminate model.

like ghobby says, for a few more bucks you can get the solid top fg700 - that's what i would do. i'd go for the gloss top
http://www.long-mcquade.com/product..._with_Gloss.htm

but the satin top is a little cheaper
http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...atte_Finish.htm
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #7
breau

what is the difference between a solid top and not? And how does it effect the sound?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:03 PM   #8
StuartBahn

I really wouldn't lose sleep over that choice. Either will be fine. Chances are if you take to guitar playing you'll want to upgrade sooner or later anyway.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:35 PM   #9
stepchildusmc

solid tops are made from a solid piece of wood, usually spruce. laminate tops are just prettily cover plywood. the solid tops have a lot more character and sustain, the plywood...err...excuse me...laminate well...sounds like plywood.... err laminated wood. if you look at companies advertising...you'll see that they usually say either "spruce top" or " solid spruce top" .
do yourself a favor and find the solid first. you'll be much happier in 6 months after you get some string time in.
that Yamaha fg700s is a great guitar to start with. i can't think of a better one for that price.
not a big fan of used usually. some companies are good for used. others...not so much. i've been playing for a few years but as Patti says... i wouldn't have a clue as to what for in a flawed used one other than if it has an garbage truck sticking thru it's neck !
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
breau

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
don't buy used if you're new to guitars. bringing a friend can be helpful, but my experience is that most of my guitar-playing buddies (including some who have been playing for decades) don't actually know much about guitars but they think they do. being a player doesn't make you a guitar tech.

the F325 is a good sounding guitar for an all-laminate model.

like ghobby says, for a few more bucks you can get the solid top fg700 - that's what i would do. i'd go for the gloss top
http://www.long-mcquade.com/product..._with_Gloss.htm

but the satin top is a little cheaper
http://www.long-mcquade.com/product...atte_Finish.htm

might as well spend an extra 20$ if you are already spending 200$
Old 05-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
azrael4h

Both Ibanez and Fender have solid top Mahogany acoustics. I've played the Ibanez, there's a beat up floor model at my local GC, and it's a pretty nice guitar for the price. I've only seen the Fenders on their website, and can't comment on them.

I am sorely tempted on that Ibanez, even though I don't really need another acoustic.
azrael4h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
stepchildusmc

you always need...just one more
Old 05-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by breau
what is the difference between a solid top and not? And how does it effect the sound?
A solid top has what is called "a higher velocity of sound", in simple terms it puts out more sound energy than a comparable laminate top with the same amount of force applied..

Generally the sound is better from top to bottom, and as I said earlier, it will give you more volume for the same amount of energy applied.

Laminate top guitars can be made to sound very good as well, but for the most part, they enjoy being plugged into an amp.

The laminate tops resist feedback a bit better than solid tops, but you trade off a bit of sustain and sparkle for that. If you are going to play very staccato or percussive rhythms, the decreased sustain can actually be helpful.

That said, for an all around guitar, you'd still be better off with a solid top instrument
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:26 PM   #14
breau

I got the Yamaha FG700S today! Thank you for all your help and advice!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
ghobby

Enjoy
ghobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
stepchildusmc

nice job breau !! you gonna start a new thread with a HNGD? we all love a good happy new guitar day.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:47 PM   #17
tuxs

Congrats on your purchase. Those Yammies are the best bang for bucks around. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:47 PM   #18
burly1

I really think Yamaha makes a good guitar for the beginner to well...any player! But I truly believe the most important thing for a new or aspiring guitarist is to get a good set-up with a set of light, or medium light strings. The difference between a good and a poor, or no set-up is night and day. You will suffer less finger discomfort, thereby promoting more frequent and longer practice sessions....more and sooner gratification.
If you're serious about learning to play, check out Zagerguitar.com. They sell entry level acoustics with simply wonderful set-ups for a very reasonable price. I'm not a salesman, but a Zager guitar made all the difference for me, and still rivals my $2500 Martin for ease of play and overall acoustic tone.
burly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:18 PM   #19
stepchildusmc

i'm leavin' that one alone Cranky...water's warm tho, feel free to jump in.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:33 AM   #20
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly1
I really think Yamaha makes a good guitar for the beginner to well...any player! But I truly believe the most important thing for a new or aspiring guitarist is to get a good set-up with a set of light, or medium light strings. The difference between a good and a poor, or no set-up is night and day. You will suffer less finger discomfort, thereby promoting more frequent and longer practice sessions....more and sooner gratification.
Ya think? Cause here's a link for that: http://thbecker.net/guitar_playing/...up_page_01.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by burly1
If you're serious about learning to play, check out Zagerguitar.com. They sell entry level acoustics with simply wonderful set-ups for a very reasonable price. I'm not a salesman, but a Zager guitar made all the difference for me, and still rivals my $2500 Martin for ease of play and overall acoustic tone.
Well, you're working on a week late and a "Zagerization" short on this, since our TS bought the Yamaha on the 14th (of this month).

Some days I wonder why they even bother to build Martins, Taylors, Guilds, or Gibsons any more, since I keep hearing how Bob Zager's import wonders will play circles around them.

You take all the fun out of learning to play and progressing through better and better instruments. Just buy a Zager, you apparently won't ever need a Martin... What fun is that?

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-21-2013 at 05:35 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: