Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #21
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole

Quote:
Is my lack of skill after drinking simply due to the fact that alcohol destroys any and all coordination? Or, should I just play more when I've been drinking? OR, is it just a refection of my skill level, and is something that I will eventually be able to do when I get better at guitar? Perhaps it is a combo?

Its a matter if you can handle it. I can drink about 2 and a half beers and still play. Much more than that and I'm out of the game
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #22
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
maybe you just shouldn't drink and play guitar then

what are you, an alcoholic? how hard is it to wait till after the gig?

i mean it's all fine and good if you're jim morrison, but you're probably no jim morrison.

Jim also didn't play an instrument. He just sang.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
cdgraves

The secret to playing drunk is to practice drunk.

For serious though: in performance, more than 1 beer per hour is about as much as I can do before mistakes start showing up. Of course, the better learned and practiced the music is, the more you can tolerate before you start sounding like a drunk guitarist. Same with being stoned.

Sometimes if I'm jittery a beer gets the juice going again. Being stoned is a lot of fun on stage, but only if you know the music inside and out.

Really, the one thing that keeps my head focused after beer/pot is looking up at the audience. Surefire way to avoid getting stuck in your own little guitar world.

Last edited by cdgraves : 05-13-2013 at 11:51 AM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #24
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

TS, why do you want to play drunk? What's the point? If you can play better sober, why would you play drunk?

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
TS, why do you want to play drunk? What's the point? If you can play better sober, why would you play drunk?

This is kind of what I'm wondering. I mean, can't you get drunk after you play? I assume you're doing like 30-45 minute sets anyway. I think it can wait until after that. People can exert self-control; and if you want to put on a good/decent show, you'd better exert enough self-control to be able to put on that show.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #26
Sti Eci Tehpor

Adderall+Beer+Weed: health-wise it is a very bad idea to use them in conjunction. (I have stopped using all three (except an occasional beer))

But, those three together can lead to some awesome results. only problem: the hangover the next day is not worth it, trust.
Sti Eci Tehpor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #27
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

^
Your liver must hate you.

Bandcamp

Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 PM   #28
Sti Eci Tehpor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
^
Your liver must hate you.

The worst side effect experienced during those days, was feeling like I would have a heart attack at any moment when coming down( from 75mg or above ).

Yes, I know, I was ******ed.

Learn from my mistakes and please don't do adderall(or any variation of amphetamines!)

Fortunately, it was a short lived phase; I now take Milk-Thistle, S-adenosyl methionine, & Omega 3-6-9 in hopes to reverse any damage that was done.
Sti Eci Tehpor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:13 PM   #29
TravisWright

Think it depends on who you're playing for and your goals in the moment.... can't be argued that many famous names caught a healthy or unhealthy buzz while doing this or recording that. But if you're performing, don't be Whitney Houston and forget your own songs. If beers aren't helping you play... i guess you could condition yourself, but why make it harder? Or fall for the illusion that bourbon inspired words and playing will do more for you or anything at all? Good thread. Interesting to see everyone's views.
TravisWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #30
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

I'm an alcoholic, I also have a prescription for Xanax. (Wonderful combo to get wrapped up in, I know.)

Both still allow me to sound like shit..... like always.

So....yeah. I don't know about other people but I'm not good at guitar to begin with.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:55 PM   #31
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Jim also didn't play an instrument. He just sang.

i wouldn't know i never listened to the rolling stones
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #32
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail
i wouldn't know i never listened to the rolling stones

I do hope you're joking.

show

Bandcamp

Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #33
ccannon1
Band Geek

It's extremely unprofessional to play drunk/high/whatever, especially if you're getting paid.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #34
Kylianvb
doesn't like mondays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannon1
It's extremely unprofessional to play drunk/high/whatever, especially if you're getting paid.

It's extremely unprofessional to play badly. I feel like if you're able to perform at a decent standard, the 'state' you're in is not that relevant (although alcohol often is an excuse for people to act like pricks, which is never acceptable). When I have gigs I generally smoke some weed beforehand, just because it makes me feel more comfortable. It doesn't impact my playing much, apart from being a little better simply because I feel more comfortable. I do drink the occasional beer during gigs, but drunk playing is a no-go here, sloppy and horrible.

Last edited by Kylianvb : 05-14-2013 at 11:32 PM.
Kylianvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #35
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylianvb
It's extremely unprofessional to play badly. I feel like if you're able to perform at a decent standard, the 'state' you're in is not that relevant (although alcohol often is an excuse for people to act like pricks, which is never acceptable). When I have gigs I generally smoke some weed beforehand, just because it makes me feel more comfortable. It doesn't impact my playing much, apart from being a little better simply because I feel more comfortable. I do drink the occasional beer during gigs, but drunk playing is a no-go here, sloppy and horrible.

Just because weed calms you, that doesn't make it professional to smoke weed.

Bandcamp

Old 05-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #36
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

When somebody says they can get ****ed up and make music, it's because theyve trained themselves to be forced to do it. But imagine if you can do it sober. It'll turn out better in the long run and thats a fact.
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 AM   #37
Kylianvb
doesn't like mondays.

Quote:
Just because weed calms you, that doesn't make it professional to smoke weed.

Nor unprofessional in my opinion. If one can perform to the same standard and doesn't use it as an excuse to be an asshat, I simply don't see the issue.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #38
Hail
kill both bass players

it's also unprofessional to get high off smugness
Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #39
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylianvb
Nor unprofessional in my opinion. If one can perform to the same standard and doesn't use it as an excuse to be an asshat, I simply don't see the issue.

The thing is, 90% of people think they can perform to the same standard, but they can't. If you're one of those who can, more power to you.

Bandcamp

Old 05-15-2013, 01:24 AM   #40
Captaincranky

Quote:
The thing is, 90% of people think they can perform to the same standard, but they can't. If you're one of those who can, more power to you.
There's probably an axiom in there somewhere. Like, "are any of us as good as we'd like to think we are". Or perhaps, "do any of us have the capacity to realize how much we lose we we're under the influence.

However, I still think there is such as thing as, "better living through chemistry" Plus there is such a thing as, "state induced memory". You act and react in the same way, when your mind is in the same state. So, when you're high on weed, (or whatever), the experience and actions are very similar each time.

Although you have to assume the rock stars that do abuse drugs and trash hotel rooms, are magnets for publicity. But, it's also interesting to note how many top stars were involved. A long, long list indeed.

Anxiety can force errors, perhaps as much being impaired can. So, this topic could be the subject of a fairly involved psychological/pharmacological study, with many, many variables involved.

The question sort of proves my theory that some of have a "music gene", that allows them to excel almost effortlessly, while others can practice, (and "practice perfectly"), yet never attain that level. Jimi Hendrix died of an overdose. That says something right there.

If Dylan was correct when he said, "when you ain't got nothin', you got nothin' to lose"! Then it must follow, "if you've got way too much, (talent), then you've got plenty you can afford to spare"!

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-15-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: