Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2013, 09:33 AM   #1
WhatAStoryMark

A thank you and a plea for help!

First things first I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone who helped me on this forum.
It must be about 1-2 months ago that I asked for some advice RE my amp situation, having taken advice I then bought an amp that I otherwise wouldn't have considered, a Traynor YCV50 that was recommended, if I remember correctly by Dave (?) and others.
It's been absolutely incredible and I can only thank all of you for your help.

Now, the other day disaster struck, I was moving out of Uni for the year, and I managed to drop my guitar down the stairs (properly down the stairs, through the hole in the middle, 4 floors). It's a shattered, splintered mess now and I'm absolutely gutted.

It was a fender telecaster MIM and I'd been using it loyally for a year or so with no problems. But I need to sort out the immediate future, I've recently (very) joined a band and we're playing live in a week or so for the second time. I need a guitar for that gig.

Which is why I've come here, I figured that you guys would be able to point me in the right direction for a well made, cheap and great sounding tele, the brand doesn't particularly bother me though.

Here is the form.

Budget? - No where much beyond £500, I'm a student after all. Although if the consensus is that I'd be better off buying a cheap guitar in the short term and saving for a better one I do have a job and very little outgoing money (my parents are too kind).

Favorite Artists? - Plenty of different inspirations. I play a reasonably spacey lead and rhythm to get around the fact that I'm shit at playing fast. I like most Pink Floyd stuff and Jeff Buckley (some would say too much) as well as indie rock like Alt-J and the like.

Preferences? - Telecaster if possible, wouldn't be entirely against a strat, anything with single coils could work though.

Pickups? - Standard SS would be great, a humbucker wouldn't kill the deal but I would rather not have one stock.

New or Used? Either, shops would be easiest to get to as I'm not wanting to trust postal services entirely.

Location? - Cheltenham or Birmingham would be easiest, however I don't mind travelling big distances if it would help to sort this by saturday.

Current Gear? Traynor YCV50, various shit pedals.

Thanks for your help in the past even if you can't help too much now.
WhatAStoryMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #2
WhatAStoryMark

Just to let everyone know, I will be away for the next couple of hours. I'm not ignoring you all.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Ok. New you're looking at a MiM Strat or Tele. If you saw it as a chance to upgrade you may be disappointed.

Used you might be able to get a MiA Strat or Tele if you're really super lucky but seeing as your timescale is quite short I'd just go and play a few Strats and Teles and pick one. If you can find one used you'll get more of your money back if you do want to sell later on.

You can get a Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded for around £500, and they're great guitars. I know you said that you're interested in single coils but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

You could get a Roadworn Strat for £500 used, but again it depends on what is available in the timeframe and area you're willing to travel to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM   #4
DannyV783

I actually love all the fender road worn series not because of the relic jobs but the necks on all of them are perfect so id say plus 1 on the roadworn especially the rw yellow Tele great feeling guitar worth checking out
DannyV783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
WhatAStoryMark

That does sound good, I've looked at those briefly online in the last day or so and they look to be in about my price range.
Are there any guitars that are not fender/gibson that would be of similar quality?
Thanks for your replies.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
HenryB

You may also want to consider a Gibson Les Paul Junior Faded. You could pick one up 2nd hand for £400 or so. They're great work-horse guitars with a really good tone and have really fast necks. The one's I've played were all set up perfectly. They're sort of the Gibson equivalent of a Tele. May be worth looking at if you've got a decent guitar shop nearby.
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
HenryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAStoryMark
That does sound good, I've looked at those briefly online in the last day or so and they look to be in about my price range.
Are there any guitars that are not fender/gibson that would be of similar quality? Thanks for your replies.

Maybe take a look for a G&L ASAT. A USA model would be preferable, but I'm not really sure what those go for in the UK. The Tribute series is nice too, I've always thought they play/sound better than comparably priced Fenders.
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1288
Maybe take a look for a G&L ASAT. A USA model would be preferable, but I'm not really sure what those go for in the UK. The Tribute series is nice too, I've always thought they play/sound better than comparably priced Fenders.

Brilliant! This is the sort of response I was looking for.
I'll have a look at G&L, are there any other brands that you know/ would recommend in a similar vein?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Also, A Japanese Fender would be a good upgrade. They have unique paint jobs and are arguably better than the Mexican counterpart for general quality.

You do sometimes have to pick a good one out with MiMs rather than have a fantastic quality control overall. This isn't as much the case with the Japanese models.

Look! (Humbuckers I know, but it's gorgeous and it's the price range I'm pointing at. )

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/vintage-a...=item27d29b68a7

Quote:

Old 05-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
SteveHOC
Used Register

That Tele is ridiculous. Buy that now.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:16 PM   #11
WhatAStoryMark

How easy would it be to get that pickguard off it ?
That does look like a cracking deal and it sounds like, if it's possible, Japanese would be a good way to go, both on here and from other places around the internet.
Are there any exclusively made in Japan guitar manufacturers?
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz

Some possible options:

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...ssic_Burst.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/..._Ice_White.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...0_HB_-_OVB.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/..._-_Natural.html

http://www.fretsguitarcentre.co.uk/...Cherry_Red.html

Of those, I can say that Fret-King and Godin both make quality guitars. I personally own a Super 60 HB (imported to Texas from this very store), and have tried out a few used Velocities. Very nice.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-13-2013 at 02:21 PM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
WhatAStoryMark

Old 05-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHOC
That Tele is ridiculous. Buy that now.

I know, right.

I nearly shit my pants when I saw that.

Quote:

That looks pretty sweet. There's a good few days left on that though. I'd expect it to go up quite a bit.

Man... Those Japanese Fenders are so cool. If I had the cash I'd buy a load of them.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-13-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

I looked on Thomann, and it looks like the only G&Ls in the right price range are the Tributes...but they should be just fine in terms of quality.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

glad you like the traynor

that really sucks about the guitar, though

you can get MIJ tokai teles (breezysounds) for around the £500 mark. The fender classic series (MIM) is pretty nice too- I'd say the MIJ stuff has the edge, but it's close and the fender will have better resale value, most likely. or you could get an MIJ fender, but then they're likely to cost more

EDIT: as danny says, the (blue label) fretking stuff is pretty nice too- again, i think the MIJ stuff has the edge, but it tends to be very vintage-spec, so if you want something more modern you're out of luck. i'd try to get the fretking stuff as cheap as you can, though- prices vary widely, and if you're willing to wait and easy on colour choice you can often get deals on (new) ones for around £400. I think the resale on them isn't great, so bear that in mind. But the country squire super s might be nice if you can't decide between a strat or tele.

EDIT #2: yeah the very few godins i've tried have been very nice, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-13-2013 at 03:27 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
zl1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I looked on Thomann, and it looks like the only G&Ls in the right price range are the Tributes...but they should be just fine in terms of quality.

Well I was thinking he may be able to pick up a used USA model, but I'm not sure what they go for used over there

Quote:

That's awesome, although I suspect it's probably going to be way out of your price range when bidding ends
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Well I was thinking he may be able to pick up a used USA model, but I'm not sure what they go for used over there

That's awesome, although I suspect it's probably going to be way out of your price range when bidding ends

Yeah, I just thought it was an unbelievably beautiful guitar .

What I'm thinking at the moment, for everyone who still has some interest, is that I will be heading over to Bristol tomorrow to have a look at some of the music shops.
I'm really interested in the Godin, mostly because the one linked was (in my opinion) a cracking looking guitar.

I'm going to try not to be too fussy about looks, I have a deadline after all, but I also don't want to waste my money on something I don't like on both looks and sounds. I can just borrow a guitar off of someone else if worst comes to worst I guess, although most of the people I know only really like metal guitars and have set them up accordingly.

Also because of Dave's advise on the Traynor I will be looking into the MIJ guitars a bit more, the vintage spec thing is not a turn off at all, I much prefer vintage looks and I can change the rest if necessary.

On an unrelated side note, does anybody know anything about digital delay pedals? I have a really shitty analogue delay that I bought years ago and a broken analogue that I bought 2 months ago so I'm thinking that maybe something is telling me to buy digital.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #19
WhatAStoryMark

Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I mentioned Jap guitars first god dammit. I'll give Dave this one. Only this one though.

Get a Deluxe Memory Man if you have £250 for one or a Deluxe Memory Boy if you have £100 for a used one. If you really want digital look at the DD7 or the TC Flashback.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: