Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
I mentioned Jap guitars first god dammit. I'll give Dave this one. Only this one though.

Get a Deluxe Memory Man if you have £250 for one or a Deluxe Memory Boy if you have £100 for a used one. If you really want digital look at the DD7 or the TC Flashback.

Oh yeah, sorry, I meant specifically the Tokai. But I can't really find anything substantial on them on the internet purchase wise.

Are you saying that you actually have those for sale? If so I may be interested, I'll have a look at some tomorrow and see what I pick up from those but I will definitely let you have "first dibs" on my used purchasing, after all, you did recommend the Japanese guitars first (before Dave).
WhatAStoryMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Lol I'm only kidding. I don't have any guitars for sale.

I have a Flashback x4 that I'm considering selling. If I sell that it would be for £150 boxed including postage. I just got a Deluxe Memory Man so I wonder if I need the Flashback. The X4 is a great delay pedal. You can do so much with it and it's definitely much much better than the normal one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-13-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Lol I'm only kidding. I don't have any guitars for sale.

I have a Flashback x4 that I'm considering selling. If I sell that it would be for £150 boxed including postage. I just got a Deluxe Memory Man so I wonder if I need the Flashback. The X4 is a great delay pedal. You can do so much with it and it's definitely much much better than the normal one.

This is what I meant, I've just read my post and realised it was the opposite of clear. I was talking about the delay pedals. I'm now thoroughly satisfied that I'll be able to find a good strat or tele, although over the next few days I may well post some ebay links here and ask if the deal is as good as it looks.

So the main thing is now a delay pedal, this one doesn't have a time limit though so I can do this over a long time.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #24
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea post away. If you're interested in the pedal send me a PM.

Quote:

Old 05-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

there's not a massive difference between MIJ tokais and MIJ fenders (some of the MIJ fenders were made by tokai- not all, or even most, though). Just the fender-branded ones tend to be dearer. i think rockem music has a tokai in stock, but i've never bought from them before, dunno what they're like.

fwiw it's hard enough to change a vintage radius and 21 frets

Quote:
I mentioned Jap guitars first god dammit. I'll give Dave this one. Only this one though.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #26
dannyalcatraz

MXR Carbon Copy is a really good delay pedal, and the Line6 ToneCore Echo Park is nice as well.

Red Witch offers the bargain-priced Violet delay, and the pricey but powerful Titan.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #27
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
there's not a massive difference between MIJ tokais and MIJ fenders (some of the MIJ fenders were made by tokai- not all, or even most, though). Just the fender-branded ones tend to be dearer. i think rockem music has a tokai in stock, but i've never bought from them before, dunno what they're like.

fwiw it's hard enough to change a vintage radius and 21 frets

I see what you mean, as I say though, I'll probably try to find at least 1 MIJ guitar before I buy it, I don't really feel like spending all my money on something I have no idea about.

What you say about the Tokais is interesting, I assume you were talking about this one?
http://www.rockemmusic.com/product/...apple-red-wcase.
I see they also have a strat on ebay, I think I saw this earlier although I didn't realise it was from a music shop.
What would be everyone's thoughts about the price of that Tokai compared to the Fenders?
Old 05-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Tokais are excellent guitars. Rare in the UK and with a good reputation.

The Tokai Les Pauls were once as good or better than the Gibsons of the same time.

Quote:

Old 05-14-2013, 03:06 PM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah that's the one i was talking about. FWIW i seem to remember someone on the tokai forum having bought one and saying the setup wasn't that great (and i think they have a spiel on their website about setting up the guitars ), but that's only hearsay, obviously.

price... it's hard to say. they're definitely dearer than they were, about 5 years ago a pound bought you 250 yen, now it buys you 150, and not that long ago it only bought you 130. it seems to be weakening, so if you're in no rush prices may well improve (but that could take 5 years, lol, and it could of course strengthen again).

i got mine for just over £400, as an example. the other thing is, rockem sometimes has 10% off sales, which'd bring the price down a bit- if you sign up for their newsletter they often send out the sales that way.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #30
WhatAStoryMark

Just an update for everyone,
I went to a couple of shops in Bristol today and found a couple of nice guitars (I played a MIJ tele and a strat) but I've decided that I'm going to wait a little longer to buy a guitar because my Dad, saint that he is, has offered me the use of his strat in the short term.
I reckon I'd like to buy one still within a couple of weeks but I imagine that by the end of this week or the midde of the next I will have decided finally if I'll be getting a tele or strat.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #31
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
yeah that's the one i was talking about. FWIW i seem to remember someone on the tokai forum having bought one and saying the setup wasn't that great (and i think they have a spiel on their website about setting up the guitars ), but that's only hearsay, obviously.

price... it's hard to say. they're definitely dearer than they were, about 5 years ago a pound bought you 250 yen, now it buys you 150, and not that long ago it only bought you 130. it seems to be weakening, so if you're in no rush prices may well improve (but that could take 5 years, lol, and it could of course strengthen again).

i got mine for just over £400, as an example. the other thing is, rockem sometimes has 10% off sales, which'd bring the price down a bit- if you sign up for their newsletter they often send out the sales that way.

That's interesting. So you own a Tokai tele then? I couldn't find one in any of the shops I visited but in the one with the MIJs the guy who owned the shop told me that he loved Tokais but that he wasn't really 'allowed' to stock them much because of Fender. I imagine that was mostly a joke but I couldn't really tell (the Bris'ul was strong in him) but it reassured me of what you were saying and if they send out a deal I will be looking into it very seriously.
Did you buy your Tokai off of them (rockem)?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

yeah i have a tokai tele. i got mine (new) off ebay, not from rockem.

and that thing about not stocking tokai because of fender probably isn't a joke, unfortunately.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #33
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea you won't find many in any shops.

Quote:

Old 05-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
dannyalcatraz

When you're a top dog in the industry, you can have some interesting clauses in your sales agreements, including some that could void the deal if you stock _______, and so forth.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #35
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

that "no stairway" clause is patently unfair, IMO.

Old 05-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #36
WhatAStoryMark

Wow, that does seem ridiculous and actually makes me not want to buy a Fender, I don't really like the idea of supporting a monopoly.
Are the Tokai strats (assuming, as I am, that they make them) any good?
On strats are there any particularly good brands that I should look out for that are different from teles?
Old 05-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #37
dannyalcatraz

It goes both ways- there are also retailers so dominant in their markets that Fender can't dictate terms and/or won't raise a fuss when the terms get violated.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #38
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I've only really seen them in various magazines, but some Fretking guitars seem pretty swish, and they have some fairly high range strat shaped guitars selling, maybe check their site out?

Sorry for no actual knowledgeable input, but I thought I may as well try help
Yamaha F310 acoustic
Yamaha RBX270

Magnum 44 Poweramp
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #39
WhatAStoryMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambler3
I've only really seen them in various magazines, but some Fretking guitars seem pretty swish, and they have some fairly high range strat shaped guitars selling, maybe check their site out?

Sorry for no actual knowledgeable input, but I thought I may as well try help

That's great, the more the merrier I say, I have pretty much no knowledge of this stuff, that's why I'm on this board.
The last time I asked for help from these boards I was pointed in the direction of a great deal by some very helpful people who know the things I don't, if you've owned more than 3 guitars and 2 amps then you certainly know more than I do.
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #40
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatAStoryMark
Wow, that does seem ridiculous and actually makes me not want to buy a Fender, I don't really like the idea of supporting a monopoly.
Are the Tokai strats (assuming, as I am, that they make them) any good?
On strats are there any particularly good brands that I should look out for that are different from teles?

yeah the tokai strats are good, too (the ones i've tried, anyway). i've got one, too, but it's an older, 80s one, so how much it says about the new ones, I dunno. But the newer ones I've tried (not sure exactly how old they were, as i think the ones I've tried were all second-hand, but they seemed a lot newer than mine) were nice, too.

I don't think the cheaper ones have steel blocks on the trem, if that matters. I'd guess you could add a steel block if you really cared, though.

godin would be the obvious brand that makes strat-style guitars but not really tele-style guitars. I think i've only tried one, but it seemed pretty nice. prices vary quite widely, you can often get deals on them (new) from shops.

fretkings, as mentioned, are nice too- i think the MIJs have the edge, but it's slight, and also the fretkings have a more modern spec while the MIJs tend to be more vintage, so you're not really comparing like with like.

G&L is probably worth a look, too, but the prices for the US-made models here are silly. I haven't tried the tributes. Proguitarshop and Prymaxe in the USA will ship them (i think) and their prices are way less than in the UK (often less in dollars than we get charged in pounds ), but you're liable to be hit for customs/VAT etc. when they land here so you wouldn't be saving as much as you initially thought, and it may be too risky to buy something so expensive from so far away where you have little recourse if something goes wrong.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-14-2013 at 05:17 PM.

Rate This Thread: