you mean my amp? ... doesn't make sense
slp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #22
steven seagull
not really a seagull

I reckon you should try flatwound strings on your current guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #23
JELIFISH19

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp
through?
you mean my amp? ... doesn't make sense

Yea, amp and effects
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #24
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp
thank you, but the question is, have you tried them, would you be able to describe the tone and action of some of those guitars?

I've tried something from each brand I listed except Stevens UK, US Masters, and Visionary.

The ones from the first part of the list are all standard, but high-quality solidbody guitars. With the right effects and amps, you should be able to replicate or create a wide variety of tones.

The second part of the list includes similarly good guitars, but each with something a bit different built in.

The Reverends are made of Korina, a wood with similar properties to Mahogany, but is somewhat lighter in weight. In addition, the Bass Contour control gives you the option of manipulating the lower frequencies just like the Tone Control- present on many guitars, includng all of the Reverends- lets you manipulate the high-end frequencies.

The Fernandes models can come equipped with a Sustainer pickup, which lets you sustain notes infinitely. Depending on operating mode, the Sustainer can also bring in harmonics & overtones.

The Moog incorporates unique pickups & electronics that can generate the kind of tones that most people use keyboards for- one demo I witnessed, the player was using the Moog to do something akin to frippertronics. And that was before any signal manipulation with an amp or pedals.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #25
slp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
I've tried something from each brand I listed except Stevens UK, US Masters, and Visionary.

The ones from the first part of the list are all standard, but high-quality solidbody guitars. With the right effects and amps, you should be able to replicate or create a wide variety of tones.

The second part of the list includes similarly good guitars, but each with something a bit different built in.

The Reverends are made of Korina, a wood with similar properties to Mahogany, but is somewhat lighter in weight. In addition, the Bass Contour control gives you the option of manipulating the lower frequencies just like the Tone Control- present on many guitars, includng all of the Reverends- lets you manipulate the high-end frequencies.

The Fernandes models can come equipped with a Sustainer pickup, which lets you sustain notes infinitely. Depending on operating mode, the Sustainer can also bring in harmonics & overtones.

The Moog incorporates unique pickups & electronics that can generate the kind of tones that most people use keyboards for- one demo I witnessed, the player was using the Moog to do something akin to frippertronics. And that was before any signal manipulation with an amp or pedals.

wow... The Moog guitars seem EXTREMELY interesting to me, even tho is nothing like i had imagined. I don't quite understand why is it not just a guitar with effects built in it, so i gotta read some more about it... and i guess its veryyy expensive. and i wonder if - apart from electronics - they are good quality guitars...

guys i have a question. I noticed that there are telecasters with F-holes in them. What impact does it have on sound? Is it just visual matter? or does it become a little more like semi acoustic?

I think If a telecaster would have a lever to lower the strings with your right hand, like in Strats, then it would be like a dream to me... and i know there are tele's like that, but they lack the sound quality because the bridge is no longer resonating with the body so well...
Today I tried some guitars, Nashguitars and other stuff, and i gotta say that I looove the harmony sound of telecaster. there is a great deepnes to it. you know what i mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELIFISH19
Yea, amp and effects

@Jelifish - ATM i have crap guitar with crap amp, and the amp actually exploded in my hand I nearly died of heart attack. What I used to do is record stuff on my computer and then edit the sound with various programs.... because i didint have money for effects etc. I'd really love to play around with synthesizers etc, but when I buy the guitar I want to love it's clear sound - and I think telecaster is the closest, even tho Strat can be pretty damn nice too, and that lever

But i gotta check out the guitars sugested by Danny because this really can be interesting!
Old 05-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #26
slp

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
I reckon you should try flatwound strings on your current guitar

haha! That's what i wanted to do. I even made the holes in the metal string handles on the neck (i dont know how you call them) bigger so those strings could fit, but when I started tunning those strings, my bridge went dangerously high. I could try to put some wood plates inside the body to hold the bridge still (I had all springs on the back - it wasn't enough) but I thought, oh well, maybe it will just explode, it's an old crap guitar, so i just bought thick normal electric guitar strings

im hoping to use flatwound strings on my new good guitar, i hope the wouldn't damage a decent tele or strat, right?

Last edited by slp : 05-14-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

The Moogs ARE pricey- near the top end of your budget- but they're incredible instruments. They're not just guitars with cutting-edge electronics, they're well-made guitars with cutting-edge electronics.

I tracked down a couple of videos that show more playing than the official ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8chzLaBSWRo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2OwtdlTaM&sns=em

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #28
JELIFISH19

You shouldn't think of just looking for a guitar. Every part of your signal chain is important. Your description of what you're looking off is a bit vague and confusing but it sounds like your amp and effects will deliver that more than the guitar itself. It doesn't seem like you're concerned with the feel of the guitar so I recommend trying as many amps as possible. And try different guitars through the amps too. A tele through the wrong amp might not be good but it could be what you're looking for through the right amp. Try every combination you could think of and mess with the EQ of the amps and the tone and volume knobs of the guitar.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Old 05-14-2013, 06:11 PM   #29
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Every part of your signal chain is important.

Much truth.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:00 PM   #30
slp

Quote:
The Moogs ARE pricey- near the top end of your budget- but they're incredible instruments. They're not just guitars with cutting-edge electronics, they're well-made guitars with cutting-edge electronics.

I tracked down a couple of videos that show more playing than the official ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8chzLaBSWRo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF2OwtdlTaM&sns=em

oh this is really interesting. I wonder if this is one of those things that seems amazing at first but after a week you're bored of it... possibly maybe. but, I am really disappointing to see that they don't sell guitars in any london shop... I wouldn't mind, perhaps, spending, little time with it, sometimes, sometimes....

Would be amazing! but also. this girl in the video, is so cute playing this guitar her face expressions are similar to a girl who spent years with the same boyfriend and then she meets a guy who is so funny, so crazy and handsome that she just doesn't want to care about anything anymore...

... happened to me so many times

.. oh well, but at least I've been on both sides of attention in that case

and i wonder if this guitar is really handsome, funny and clever or just a hipster like me...

Quote:
You shouldn't think of just looking for a guitar. Every part of your signal chain is important. Your description of what you're looking off is a bit vague and confusing but it sounds like your amp and effects will deliver that more than the guitar itself. It doesn't seem like you're concerned with the feel of the guitar so I recommend trying as many amps as possible. And try different guitars through the amps too. A tele through the wrong amp might not be good but it could be what you're looking for through the right amp. Try every combination you could think of and mess with the EQ of the amps and the tone and volume knobs of the guitar.

of course. I plan to buy guitar first, then, save money again for amp and effects. I will be using amps from studio where i practice with friends, they are bad, but chosing an amp will take me a lot of time and money too

Last edited by slp : 05-14-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #31
dannyalcatraz

What you're seeing in those 2 videos is top-notch pros messing around with some of the more unusual sounds you can get out of the guitars. They're perfectly capable of delivering mainstream tones.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #32
JELIFISH19

I recommend using that money on an amp and guitar and not just guitar. The right guitar won't get the right tone without the right amp. If you play through a bad amp, it will sound bad no matter what you plug into it. A Tele through an AC-30 sounds completely different than through a Bassman even though they both do cleans really well. You may hate one of those combinations while loving another. It's not the Tele you'll love, it's the Tele through a certain amp that gives you a sound you want. And by the same token, a Tele and Les Paul through an AC-30 won't sound the same at all. You may love one and hate the other. The guitar and amp aren't exclusive items. They're a unit. And also keep in mind that your individual playstyle will also dictate tone.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Old 05-15-2013, 08:11 AM   #33
slp

Quote:
What you're seeing in those 2 videos is top-notch pros messing around with some of the more unusual sounds you can get out of the guitars. They're perfectly capable of delivering mainstream tones.

so you're saying you havn't played it but you heared someone alse playing it? Where abouts do you live? maybe you could go to that shop again and test it for me. what tones it can deliver as completly clean, what guitar would you compare it too, with clean tones and pickups? Would be very helpful.

Quote:
I recommend using that money on an amp and guitar and not just guitar. The right guitar won't get the right tone without the right amp. If you play through a bad amp, it will sound bad no matter what you plug into it. A Tele through an AC-30 sounds completely different than through a Bassman even though they both do cleans really well. You may hate one of those combinations while loving another. It's not the Tele you'll love, it's the Tele through a certain amp that gives you a sound you want. And by the same token, a Tele and Les Paul through an AC-30 won't sound the same at all. You may love one and hate the other. The guitar and amp aren't exclusive items. They're a unit. And also keep in mind that your individual playstyle will also dictate tone.

I know. the thing is, I want a really good guitar. Maybe I will end up buying a guitar for about 1000 but I don't want to compromise the guitar over the amp. I prefer to safe money again and just practice unplugged even. Also, I don't want to compromise the amp b the guitar, so if I wait I can buy really good amp too! I really think this is the best idea. But before I decide on any guitar, I will definitely try it with different amps!
thanks
Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
Simple Jack
Acoustics = top kindling

Dude I am so sorry. With no offence intended, I have no clue what you are talking about.
Axe-FX Ultra
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Ableton Live 8 with Nexus, Komplete 6, Predator, Sylenth
Numark NS7FX
Simple Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #35
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
so you're saying you havn't played it but you heared someone alse playing it? Where abouts do you live? maybe you could go to that shop again and test it for me. what tones it can deliver as completly clean, what guitar would you compare it too, with clean tones and pickups? Would be very helpful.

No, what I'm saying is that those 2 videos are of elite players who were exploring the guitar's more unusual settings- they already have high-level mainstream guitars, so they are trying to see if the Moog offers them something that they 1) don't have and 2) would enjoy.

I personally tried out the Moog at the Dallas Guitar Show many years ago, and found it to be comfy in my hands, and a sonic chameleon. You should be able to use it- alone or in conjunction with effects- to do just about anything.

I can't recall if I actually tried it clean, but I can say this: I would not compare it to another guitar.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #36
slp

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is that those 2 videos are of elite players who were exploring the guitar's more unusual settings- they already have high-level mainstream guitars, so they are trying to see if the Moog offers them something that they 1) don't have and 2) would enjoy.

no, was talking about your previous post when you said you heard someone playing moog next to you ... anyway. thanks. I wouldn't forgive myself buying anything now without trying that moogs, but I will probably need to travel somewhere.

what i wonder is: how much of those efects you can get with any guitar on the market, with the right effects, maybe slightly modified (so u get the sustain driver to your pickups) ... also, i wonder how those effect sound in a band. if there is good dynamics so u can adapt those sounds nicely with anything u want, not only strict electronic stuff... you know what i mean? like with any guitar, you need some boost in your sound to have nice action with different instruments, so you don't sound flat - but are those effects just as attractive after boosting etc...

also. are all guitars capable of the same effects - or one Moog is for this only, another for something else? On the website you have the standard price, and then u can add thing on top of it. I wonder if this is something u can add anytime, like in lego , or you gotta do some specific operations in the workshop.... not for amators...

greetings

octavia

Last edited by slp : 05-15-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #37
slp

Quote:

I personally tried out the Moog at the Dallas Guitar Show many years ago, and found it to be comfy in my hands, and a sonic chameleon. You should be able to use it- alone or in conjunction with effects- to do just about anything.

I can't recall if I actually tried it clean, but I can say this: I would not compare it to another guitar.

and man.... listen to this~!

Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcQtZeNSyY4
Old 05-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #38
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
no, was talking about your previous post when you said you heard someone playing moog next to you ... anyway. thanks. I wouldn't forgive myself buying anything now without trying that moogs, but I will probably need to travel somewhere.

Ah, yeah, the guy doing the "frippertronics" stuff.

Trying the Moog might be tough. I don't think they show up in many stores. You might have to check Moog's website to see what music/industry show they're doing near you.

The answer to the question of whether you can do everything a Moog guitar can do with effects is probably "Yes." But what does that pedalboard cost, how big is it, and how easy is it to use?

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-15-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #39
slp

Quote:
Ah, yeah, the guy doing the "frippertronics" stuff.

what is it exactly
Old 05-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #40
dspellman

A couple of other options:

You might want to look at Variax guitars. There are (on the new versions) up to 29 different guitars modeled. I've been using two of the older models (an Electric 500 and a Acoustic 700, both of which can currently be had relatively inexpensively because the new JTV versions are better guitars (even though the actual models are identical). I'm picking up the new JTV 89F (a two-octave 24-fret neck with a 16" radius and a pair of humbuckers in addition to all the Variax electronics).

Another option is to simply go with a synth. Usually a special pickup (often piezo saddles on the bridge) will run through a 13-pin connector to a synthesizer.

Not only can each string be isolated to produce different results, but often specific areas on the fretboard can be designated as specific zones that produce different instruments or sounds. This from an Axon 100 controller:

You might also look at some of the onboard electronics that are available. A Chandler Tone-X, for example, can provide an active sweepable mids boost of around 16 dB, and there are a lot of other similar choices available.

Sometimes a different kind of pickup incorporated into the guitar can change things; the Trussart Steelphonic looks like an LP with an extended scale, and has an ordinary pair of magnetic pickups in the usual places. It's also got a resonator "candy box" under the bridge, with a piezo pickup mounted. Combining these two choices can be a lot of fun.

The Sustainers mentioned previously can be a good choice, but most guitars that have them installed don't take the greatest benefit from them. There are three potentiometers on the circuit board of the Fernandes version, for example, that can be tweaked to alter how it operates. But you can also bring leads from those electronics out to potentiometers on the guitar itself so that you can control them in real time (rather than pulling the cover plate and digging around with a screwdriver).

This guitar is one of mine;

The two switches below the Floyd Rose control the basics of the Fernandes sustainer. The controls have been moved, and instead of the usual LP quad of 2 Volume and 2 treble rolloffs (what we call a "tone" pot), there's a single Master Volume, a Master Tone, a Chandler Tone-X (on a push-pull pot) and a Sustainer Intensity pot (a potentiometer that's normally hidden away on the PC board is extended to where I can use it during performance) and a Buckethead-style kill switch. Normally the Sustainer driver takes up all of the neck pickup space, but this one shares the pickup ring with a DiMarzio Fast Track II (this is an 18Kohm stacked humbucker, normally used as a very hot bridge pickup on a stratocaster)). Bridge pickup is a slightly hot (9.2Kohm) '57 Gibson pickup. The neck pickup in this case has far more output (and volume) than the bridge pickup and provides a whole different set of options in that location than what most guitars are capable of.

Last edited by dspellman : 05-16-2013 at 11:30 AM.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: