Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #21
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

I'd say try some Candlemass, songs like Solitude and Bewitched are easy and heavy with a lot of distortion. Then you can have a go at songs like Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson, Violent Revolution by Kreator, Going Under by Evanescence, that sort of thing.

Though, I've got to say it, why not actually get better instead of finding songs that make you sound better than you are? Even still, you can really tell the difference between someone who's been playing for three months playing Metallica and someone who's been playing for three years playing Metallica, in the end, you aren't fooling anyone. I think this site often underestimates non-musicians, they can recognise good and bad players, and they recognise it based on what sounds good. What sounds good will always be a talented musician and unless the people you want to impress are 13, your sloppy rendition of a Metallica song will always be met with an unenthusiastic "Uh, cool.". If you start covering your faults as a player now, you'll carry that attitude for the next few years until you have an eye-opening moment where you think "Wow, I can't play guitar", and have to near enough relearn the instrument. I'd never recommend piling on the distortion to sound 'cool' at any stage of your playing.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #22
bronicadude

Black Sabbath - Sweat leaf, Heavan and Hell, NIB

Gibson 50's tribute LP
Epiphone Dot
Breedlove acoustics
bronicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:21 PM   #23
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
I'd say try some Candlemass, songs like Solitude and Bewitched are easy and heavy with a lot of distortion. Then you can have a go at songs like Chemical Wedding by Bruce Dickinson, Violent Revolution by Kreator, Going Under by Evanescence, that sort of thing.

Though, I've got to say it, why not actually get better instead of finding songs that make you sound better than you are? Even still, you can really tell the difference between someone who's been playing for three months playing Metallica and someone who's been playing for three years playing Metallica, in the end, you aren't fooling anyone. I think this site often underestimates non-musicians, they can recognise good and bad players, and they recognise it based on what sounds good. What sounds good will always be a talented musician and unless the people you want to impress are 13, your sloppy rendition of a Metallica song will always be met with an unenthusiastic "Uh, cool.". If you start covering your faults as a player now, you'll carry that attitude for the next few years until you have an eye-opening moment where you think "Wow, I can't play guitar", and have to near enough relearn the instrument. I'd never recommend piling on the distortion to sound 'cool' at any stage of your playing.

I agree with this but don't we all go through the lots of distortion phase when we first start? I know I did until I read an article interview Kirk hammit saying basically what you pointed out he said lots of distortion will let you get away with murder. When I play metal I like to just get a good palm muted chugg and that's far enough for my taste.

Trying monster by skillet pretty decent amount of distortion and its all drop tuned cords.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 01:30 PM   #24
baytall79

I have to say as far ease goes and distortion, songs by The Misfits are about as simple as you can get... even for punk lol. I mean, someone posted the tab for the whole Static Age album right here on UG and it's pretty much spot on!
baytall79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: