Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-14-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Mr E Meat
Beginurr

Thumbs up Time to quit?

2 years in, still embarassingly bad at everything there is to do with this piece of wood with metal glued onto it. Oh but I can play some power chords. I'm sure someone who picked this shit up 2 months ago could play punk with less mistakes than me.

Are some people just made to love playing this shit but be hopelessly worthless no matter how much they practice?
Old 05-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #2
Shor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr E Meat
punk with less mistakes

GTFO!
What a punk oxymoron! Punk with more mistakes is more punk!

If you don't think it's fun, just take a break. Maybe you'll come back to it later, maybe you wont?
Taking a break never harmed anyone.
Noiseboxes:
ENGL Retro Tube 50
5150 III 50W
Orange Terror Bass
Shor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:33 AM   #3
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

1. 2 years is nothing. It took me over 7 years to get to a point where I no longer considered myself a beginner.

2. How much you practice is irrelevant if you are not practicing properly. 20 minutes of focused, structured practice is much better than 2 hours of just playing for the sake of playing.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
innertom
Registered Sex Offender

Iv been playing for almost 15 years, and I still feel like a useless **** if i slack off and don't practice properly. Then other days i feel like a god and can play through shit perfect.
Its the joy of playing guitar
innertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #5
AndyGray
UG Addict

The joy is the whole point in it. Punk's all about hitting it as hard as you can & energy.

Get in a band, it'll make you feel better.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:48 AM   #6
WantsLesPaul
Nod to my Nod

I've been playing for 4 years now and I just this past year have started to actually not **** up so often. I have been doing a lot more arpeggios and playing scales slowly up and down, so that could have something to do with it
Old 05-14-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
ambler3
yes b0ss?

it all depends on what you practice really, i've been playing for about 3 years (2 1/2 on acoustic and 6 months on electric) and yet I only feel i've recently started to make progress, as i've started to do more practicey things, such as learning chords, scales etc. instead of just learning covers of different songs.
That's not to say it's benefitted, but it's just very limited in what it can teach you.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
Hardlycore
Now it's a party

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
2. How much you practice is irrelevant if you are not practicing properly. 20 minutes of focused, structured practice is much better than 2 hours of just playing for the sake of playing.

This is probably your issue. If you don't push yourself and learn new things (the correct way), then you won't make much progress regardless of your experience.
Hardlycore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Your problem is what he said ^ and your attitude honestly...and by that I mean you can't get worked up like that over something that sometimes takes others longer to be great at.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
The Dimery

Stop the self loathing, The joy comes from the discipline and the learning.
If it isn't fun, then what's the point?
Check out my new Hoist That Rag solo tab!
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/t...lo_ver3_tab.htm
The Dimery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
Monkeyleg
Tataglia is a pimp.

As someone who's even greener than you, I know how you feel. I really get discouraged, too. But I try hard to think back to when I couldn't even do a barre chord without having to duct tape my hand to the neck (okay, exaggerating).

Really, though, think back to where you were months back, and give yourself a pat on the back for the progress you've made. If a person doesn't reward himself from time to time when he's trying to learn something new, he'll more than likely give up.
Monkeyleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #12
Dreamdancer11

So if we say yes would you do it lol ? Then Yes please quit.
Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 PM   #13
sw4l

Quote:
Originally Posted by innertom
Iv been playing for almost 15 years, and I still feel like a useless **** if i slack off and don't practice properly. Then other days i feel like a god and can play through shit perfect.
Its the joy of playing guitar

I second this I have been playing for 10 or 11 months and I'm in reality still a beginner but I can play half way decently but I practice atleast an hour a day because I truly love the instrument. Sometimes I feel like I can play really well and be killing it and other days I play like a sloppy hog laying in the mud.

If you really want to become a guitarist just take a break from playing the instrument find some new exercises and start from square one. You would be amazed how much going back to the basics when you feel stuck will do for your playing.
sw4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #14
Bigbazz

Do you have a guitar teacher? I think you could benefit from one. Often cases if you're not making progress after 2 years then you aren't practicing the right things, at the right time. Nobody is saying you're going to turn into Yngwie Malmsteen and the vast majority of guitarists never will, but after 2 years of proper practice you could be very good.

But 2 years of just playing the guitar, without the proper practice then there is no reason to believe you should be good.

When I started learning I was a slow learner but I was obsessively determined, so I picked things up fast (because I kept at it), I also kept moving on to new things and kept pushing myself further even when I hadn't mastered the easy stuff, I had 1 lesson every 1-2 weeks lasting 30 mins for the first 3 years. Now I was still sometimes making mistakes on easy stuff, but at the same time I was able to do some pretty crazy stuff on the guitar.

If I had not pushed myself hard into more difficult stuff I would still be playing easy stuff and probably still be making those mistakes.

2 years is not a great deal of time but you can manage a lot in that time if you have a bit of determination and good teacher guiding you, but don't expect yourself to be a polished guitarist at that point, some people spent 10 years or more to get to that point, others are gifted and can pick it up quicker. In either case any guitarist that reaches a high level after only a couple of years has done it through sheer determination, and often enough a good teacher to guide them on how to move forward.

If you have spent 2 years trying to perfect your power chord and simple punk playing then it is no surprise why you havent moved forward, when learning you must continuiously challenge yourself with things you can't yet play, learning new things to engage your brain and your muscles is the key.

Don't give up, because you could still have a lifetime of enjoyment out of it, get a teacher.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 05-15-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
RancidRock

justinguitar.com go through the beginner then intermediate course, this guy is a god
RancidRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:09 PM   #16
pia98jf

Probably everyone who's ever become great at playing guitar, or anything else for that matter, has has thoughts like this at some time. The one thing all those players have in common is that they kept on practicing regardless.

It sounds obvious, but the key is not to stop, no matter how frustrated, angry etc you get. Just keep practicing every day. Don't stop, ever. Eventually you will become a great guitar player.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
stranger_23

Don't be frustrated about your guitar skill. Everyone is different and thus different people learn the same thing at different pace. The question is do you enjoy playing this instrument or not? If the answer is yes then I'd recommend to calm down, slowly work on your playing to have improvement. Try to learn different things on your guitar. Perhaps trying to learn a technique you are unfamiliar with, learn interesting licks, learn and play a solo cleanly or perhaps learning a beautiful melodic lead lines. Try to get inspired by your favorite player's work. Sometime catch a short break and then start playing again. And if you can afford an instructor go for a good one otherwise there are plenty of good guitar related stuffs/lessons on the internet, some of them are free and rest of the others are paid; so you can use them. Just keep practicing, you will play just fine.
stranger_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:03 AM   #18
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Also, if your breaking your neck over a certain riff or lick day after day, record it.
-1 Month of playing passes-
Record it again, then compare both recordings - it's a great way to keep up with your progress. It will also make practicing even more alot of fun.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #19
MissingSomethin

What songs and riffs have you learned?
MissingSomethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

I have picked up and put a guitar so many times in the last 5 or 6 years. I used to get really annoyed at how i couldn't play the chords properly, or transition my fingers to the next chord smoothly... So i kept giving up.

Only recently did i actually dedicate myself to playing it properly and actually trying to get better rather than just sucking at one song and deciding it wasn't for me.

To be honest, you're playing 'live', and if you ever watch any band play live, you can hear them making mistakes. You will never be able to sound like it does fresh off the CD, and you will never be able to play flawlessly. But the more your practice, and dedicate yourself to practicing, the better you will be. I stick to a song that i'm stuck on for days until i get it spot on, and then i learn a new one. Fortunately for me i pick things up pretty quickly, some kind of prodigy i am.

I saw somebody up there mention playing scales. That's actually a really good way to get your fingers ready for playing. It can help loosen and limber them up and you should find it easy to play. Trying practicing scales for about 10 minutes, and then go into whatever you're trying to learn/play.

Don't give up. The guitar is the greatest instrument in the world.

Rate This Thread: