Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 07:48 AM   #1
ambler3
yes b0ss?

7 string or 6 string for drop tuning? (C, B, A)

I know i've recently asked about this, but now that I have settled my mind on a 6 string guitar that I would like, I just need to settle my mind on whether I should instead get a 7 string or not.

The 6 string I am looking at getting is an Ibanez RGA32, so compare it with that.

I am looking for play metal, mostly metalcore style music such as Trivium, Parkway Drive, As I Lay Dying, as well as some other metal such as Dark Tranquility, Machine Head etc.

My budget is roughly 300 and location is the UK
I am willing to buy either new or used.

In terms of pickup quality, i'm not too bothered for the moment, those upgrades will be a future buy, I just need a guitar for the moment.

So, I was pretty much just wondering whether a 7 string would be the right thing to buy? It will be my first 7 string, and i'm kind of interested in buying it because of extra potential it has over 6 strings, even though for the moment I won't be utilizing that.
My main concern is
A) if it will suit the play style I am looking for (see afore mentioned bands)
B) If I can get a good enough quality one for my price range.

I was looking at a Schecter SGR C-7, as it's low price could allow me to buy a pickup upgrade pretty much straight away.
Also if any of you are going to suggest "no get a better amp" then that is on my current list of things to buy (see sig) but I am prioritizing a new guitar as I need one for drop tuning.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Read my blog! http://writingwithoutsubstance.blogspot.co.uk/

Listen to my music!https://soundcloud.com/rufus-ambler
ambler3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

If you're willing to buy another guitar just for low tunings, what's stopping you from doing that on your Ibanez?

Even though you've said you want to prioritize on getting a new guitar, I will still highly recommend getting an amp first.

You can buy a used 6505+112 for 300 quite easily used, have enough money to replace the speaker, replace the tubes with JJ's and you've got yourself a good-sounding amp for very little money.

If you get the amp first, you'll have a chance of getting a good metal tone, downtune your Ibanez and then you're pretty much laughing.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 05-15-2013 at 08:21 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
If you're willing to buy another guitar just for low tunings, what's stopping you from doing that on your Ibanez?

Even though you've said you want to prioritize on getting a new guitar, I will still highly recommend getting an amp first. If you get the amp first, you'll have a chance of getting a good metal tone, downtune your Ibanez and then you're laughing.

Yeah i've heard a lot of people say that tbh, and nothing is stopping me; i've been using my ART in drop B for a fair while, but I want an electric for standard tuning as well.

and ofc I know that I can use a 6 string drop tuned, but I was just thinking if I may as well get a 7 now or not.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Bigbazz

You need to stop looking at gear and just buy a 6505/5150 (keep an eye out for a used 5150 combo, better quality than the 112 6505), then start worrying about guitars. You're like a little puppy dog whose attention is easily distracted! Use your 6 string for drop tunings for now.

Edit: Didn't realise you don't have the RGA yet, get the RGA as you originally planned and then get the amp you need. If you really feel the need for a 7 string then you can do it, but I would get a 6 String you're happy with first.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)

Last edited by Bigbazz : 05-15-2013 at 08:44 AM.
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambler3
Yeah i've heard a lot of people say that tbh, and nothing is stopping me; i've been using my ART in drop B for a fair while, but I want an electric for standard tuning as well.

and ofc I know that I can use a 6 string drop tuned, but I was just thinking if I may as well get a 7 now or not.

Then why do you even need another guitar? Just use the RGA in standard and the ART in drop B, buy a 6505 (and mod it) or get a stock 5150 and you're set.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 05-15-2013 at 08:28 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:44 AM   #6
ambler3
yes b0ss?

I haven't brought a new guitar yet, i'm currently stuck with my ART, and with a guitar + the 6505 on my wishlist :P So it's all a matter of which to buy first really.

And yeah, I will admit, i'm getting a fair bit distracted..sorry!
By the sounds of it, it might just get myself a new amp first, then, and go back to only having a drop tuned guitar for the moment.

I should probably mention that I am waiting on a PM from someone here selling one for 255, which I will probably buy if it is still for sale. Otherwise, I have seen other reasonable deals on gumtree for 6505's.
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
ryanbwags

I stuck the bottom 6 strings from a 7 string set on my franken-caster. I had to do a new setup, of course, but it worked brilliantly. Perfect "B" tuning all the way. I believe having 7 strings is overrated unless you plan to shred like Satriani.
Haven't listened to any of those bands, though, so I don't know if that would work for you.
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:43 AM   #8
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Drop tuning is for no-talent scabs.
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
5_Years_Dead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbwags
I stuck the bottom 6 strings from a 7 string set on my franken-caster. I had to do a new setup, of course, but it worked brilliantly. Perfect "B" tuning all the way. I believe having 7 strings is overrated unless you plan to shred like Satriani.
Haven't listened to any of those bands, though, so I don't know if that would work for you.

Satch doesn't even pay a seven string. Hell, his guitars only have 22 frets!
5_Years_Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #10
Bigbazz

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peavey-51...=item2c6edd9bb1

Not sure if this is any use to you, it is a head but at the current bid its a damn bargain. The 5150s usually sell for more than the 6505s, but sometimes you do find amazing deals and I've seen them going for cheap, so keep an eye out for both.
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Fender Stratocaster x3 (2 of them built from bits and pieces!)
Bigbazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #11
ryanbwags

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_Years_Dead

No, but back in the day, he was partly responsible for their development. They weren't originally a Nu-Metal tool. Bands like Korn and such just used the low b to make the droppy sound.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Zoomyrs1

Quote:

Depends on what you are doing, the 7 strings allow you do use the lower tunings on some songs and keep the standard tuning for others, so if you are gigging you aren't changing instruments and tuning nearly as much.

Swapping back and forth between a standard standard range guitar and a baritone can get frigging annoying. Plus a lot of regular 6 strings don't have a long enough scale to get the tension and intonation right once you get below the C range, you can mess around with it until you get something workable, but getting consistent intonation all the way up and down the neck is a challenge,
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
ryanbwags

Quote:
No, but back in the day, he was partly responsible for their development. They weren't originally a Nu-Metal tool. Bands like Korn and such just used the low b to make the droppy sound.

Oops, I meant Steve Vai.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
Random3
Likes Satchurated fat.

Quote:

Satch has used a 7 string on a fair few of his songs, and the 22 frets comment is just flat out incorrect.

But no, having a 7 string is not necessary for shred at all, be it Satch or Vai. Having a 7 gives extended range on the low end, which is very rarely, if ever, used for lead guitar.

On topic, TS I highly recommend getting the 6505 combo. Regardless of whether you mod it, it will be a huge improvement on your current amp.
Random3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #15
jumpaside

I'd get a 7 string to do the songs you want in that genre and then have the other guitar in standard. Even though I'm more of a bass player, I have 3 basses for this reason (one of them a 5 string)
jumpaside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #16
KingOfTheRotten

I would as suggested get that RGA and then go for an amp. Like people say, for your genre the 6505 is perfect! The Combo is cheap as biscuits and easy as hell to upgrade!

Any guitar can pretty much do a drop tuning. Just get some heavy ass strings on it! I play in Drop G with a Dean Z-X with 16-75s
KingOfTheRotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #17
silhouettica
Plays Red Instruments.

I'd say to get a 7-string. You'll become more versatile with your tuning options without continually needing to be re-set up.

My New Progressive Rock/Djent Band:
Wings Denied
For fans of Deftones, Tesseract, Periphery, Karnivool, Cynic.
silhouettica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:13 PM   #18
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

I would definitely second the notion of working towards the amp first. It sounds more like you need a guitar suited for drop-tunings than for the extended range that comes with a 7-string, so I don't see much point in getting one, aside from maybe playing songs off of Shogun.

Quote:

Ten year olds aren't supposed to post on here.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #19
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:

Hey, look at this guy. Someone let him out of his cage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
I would definitely second the notion of working towards the amp first. It sounds more like you need a guitar suited for drop-tunings than for the extended range that comes with a 7-string, so I don't see much point in getting one, aside from maybe playing songs off of Shogun.

Even then, if he tuned to Drop B, he could probably transpose a lot of the songs from that album.

@TS:
I would get a 6 string, in your case. The one warning I would give you is that you shouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose (or even a trem system period), because you WILL need to re-do the setup (including adjusting the truss rod, so make sure you buy the tools to make it easy) every time you re-tune. It becomes a huge pain in the ass to do that, if you have a trem system to also deal with.

If you're into Schetchers and are willing to replace the stock pickups, then I would try something like the Schecter SGR C-1. Then, slap some heavier strings on it for Drop tunings.

I wouldn't really recommend tuning as low as Drop A though. If you're going to consistently be in Drop A, then I'd just get a 7-string like the SGR C-7.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-15-2013 at 01:05 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #20
ambler3
yes b0ss?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
Hey, look at this guy. Someone let him out of his cage...

Even then, if he tuned to Drop B, he could probably transpose a lot of the songs from that album.

@TS:
I would get a 6 string, in your case. The one warning I would give you is that you shouldn't buy a guitar with a Floyd Rose (or even a trem system period), because you WILL need to re-do the setup (including adjusting the truss rod, so make sure you buy the tools to make it easy) every time you re-tune. It becomes a huge pain in the ass to do that, if you have a trem system to also deal with.

If you're into Schetchers and are willing to replace the stock pickups, then I would try something like the Schecter SGR C-1. Then, slap some heavier strings on it for Drop tunings.

I wouldn't really recommend tuning as low as Drop A though. If you're going to consistently be in Drop A, then I'd just get a 7-string like the SGR C-7.

I know, i'm definitely looking for a fixed bridge, due to tuning changing, and also how much I am considering spending (I expect most trems from that price range to not be especially good).
And drop A was more of a future suggestion, the lowest i've been before is drop B.

and i've never played a Schecter, but the C-1 is appealing though, looks nice, and mainly, is cheap, allowing for upgrades. The only real consideration though about that particular guitar though is how well it stays in tune.

However I would it would be possibly better to go used, and look for a higher grade guitar for a still cheapish price?

I found this particular guitar on gumtree, and it looks like a good buy to me.
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/s...ery-item-full-1
Yamaha RBX270

Peavey 6505+ 112
POD HD500x

Last edited by ambler3 : 05-15-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Rate This Thread: