Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #1
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Anyone tried this on a 8-string?

Using a Low B (or A) and high A on either side of a regular tuning of 6 string?- BEADGBEA

I'm sure someone's done this or knows of it being done. You see, I'm tempted to buy an extended range instrument, just for fun really. Not looking to try and replicate anyone or do any stupid chugging.

I've played an 8-string and understand the difference in feel from the neck's wideness. I've also played a 7 string but feel I could utilise the way a 7 string works in an 8 string, and would only want to get 8 afterwards, should I continue with the extended range. I already own a 5-string bass, and started out of a 4-string knowing I'd probably get a 5 in the future. So I'm sorta comfortable to the feeling of getting used to a thicker neck and could do it with a guitar.

The complications with it are mainly getting a string that won't snap reaching the high A. If that does perceive to be the 90% problem, I could always try A-G tuning. A whole step below the tuning said above. I'd have to use an .008 on a short scale to get that high. I already use 9-46 for standard tuning on a 25.5" and go as thick as 10-52 on a 24.75" for standard though I don't like soloing in that.

Are there any 8-strings that feature a short scale? Most I've seen are 26.5" minimum. That would not work for what I want. At all.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I can't recall ever seeing it and I've never heard of anyone doing what I'm suggesting doing.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
supergohan931

I've never done it personally but I've heard of it being done with 26.5" scale guitars though the high A has quite a lot of tension at that scale. ESP makes some 25.5" scale 8 strings that would probably be nice for what you want. Otherwise, you could get maybe one of the shorter scaled fanned fret Agiles and that would be great for it I'm sure.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

Ooh, I didn't know ESP made 25.5 8 strings, I'll look into that! Fanned fret was something I thought about too, but I thought it's gonna way too expensive. Living in the UK, Agile not an option, from what I've heard about their QC, I'm not risking a haul of one oversea.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
Soccerguy
Bloo

Chris Letchford of Scale The Summit has used an 8-string tuned to BEADGbeF# or BEADGbeg
Soccerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #5
AWACS
I want all of the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerguy
Chris Letchford of Scale The Summit has used an 8-string tuned to BEADGbeF# or BEADGbeg

Came here to say this.

Mesa Boogie Mark V PRS SE Cu24 Voltage S212 Pedals!
Dunlop CryBaby WayHuge Swollen Pickle CMATMods Signa Drive Digitech BadMonkey
Boss TU-3 TCE Corona Boss DD-6 HBE Mimic
AWACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 03:13 PM   #6
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

I knew there'd be someone who's done it. I guess he probably tried going to an A with that and found it just would not work. For how light of a touch I like to use, this seems impossible.

Does anyone know of an 8 string in 24.75" scale? I know this is probably just not done at all but I can hope haha.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
JDR3009

To add to Chris Letchford, I think Rusty Cooley (however you spell it?) tuned an 8 string BEADGBea too, I think his fanned-fret signature came stock to that tuning for a while too.
JDR3009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
AWACS
I want all of the things

I wouldn't touch an 8 string at a 24.75" scale, let-alone a 7 string at that scale. If you wanna do BEADGbea or BEADGbeg tuning, I would take a look at the fanned fret Agile guitars if you are in the US, or if they have them in stock still.

Two possibilities: http://www.rondomusic.com/pendpro82728ebcabk.html

and http://www.rondomusic.com/product5478.html

Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWACS
I wouldn't touch an 8 string at a 24.75" scale, let-alone a 7 string at that scale. If you wanna do BEADGbea or BEADGbeg tuning, I would take a look at the fanned fret Agile guitars if you are in the US, or if they have them in stock still.

Two possibilities: http://www.rondomusic.com/pendpro82728ebcabk.html

and http://www.rondomusic.com/product5478.html

Not really a good option for people in the UK, once you pay import duty and take in to account that they don't do any returns from outside the US they're probably not worth the money or risk.

TS, it's possible to tune to BEADGBEG with a 25.5" scale, try getting strings from here: http://octave4plus.com/ I've heard nothing but good things about them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:51 PM   #10
AWACS
I want all of the things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not really a good option for people in the UK, once you pay import duty and take in to account that they don't do any returns from outside the US they're probably not worth the money or risk.

TS, it's possible to tune to BEADGBEG with a 25.5" scale, try getting strings from here: http://octave4plus.com/ I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I apologize. Didn't look at TS' location. Derp.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 PM   #11
Lavatain
5150 III Enthusiast

24.75" would work for me, I don't use ridiculously thick strings and would see myself using a 62 gauge for the Low B. I use a 10-52 for Eb currently on a 24.75" and find that's just a little too thick for the high strings. I've seen that Octave4plus website before. I'd be tempted to try a 7 but can't justify buying an 8-string just to find the 7 is too small to even play.

With regards to the BEADGbeg tuning, I'm not sure how I could utilise that high G. That note is obviously do-able as 12 strings need it. No doubt about that. I'd see it as almost relearning the guitar, as I find with Open tunings haha. Even though I have a lot of fun with them. Acoustic guitar and a slide tuned to Open major tunings like D sound great. Real easy to write songs with that pedal chord going on.

I think with this information my plan is to save up, get the 8-string and experiment with it with regards to string gauges. I'll look towards 25.5" as that's just what I prefer. Thanks so much guys! If in the future I become successful with this crazy idea, I'll be sure to post about it
Old 05-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #12
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavatain
Are there any 8-strings that feature a short scale? Most I've seen are 26.5" minimum. That would not work for what I want. At all.

The problem with a short scale 8-string is that you couldn't really do low tunings...

Even with special strings, it would slag out very easily.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-19-2013 at 10:09 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: