Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Question how would you feel about using sheet music on stage for a gig?

assuming you can site read, whether you really can or not. would you feel odd about it?

flipping through sheet music pages that sit on a music stand as you play, and you would be sitting.

this would be for a cover band playing all night and you use sheet music most of the time. it's a paid gig that pays well, if that helps.

lots of people in the audience would be there.

I'm just curious. thanks.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
assuming you can site read, whether you really can or not. would you feel odd about it?

flipping through sheet music pages that sit on a music stand as you play, and you would be sitting.

this would be for a cover band playing all night and you use sheet music most of the time. it's a paid gig that pays well, if that helps.

lots of people in the audience would be there.

I'm just curious. thanks.

well sight reading and reading music are not the same thing...sight reading is very specific as reading music for the very first time...and in a cover band at a gig i wouldnt dare sight read..can bet someone's gonna f**k it up!

Now if you mean just general reading of music I dont see a problem if its been rehearsed, but looking at the music does take away from stage presence so its a hit there.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
Captaincranky

Unless you're really good at sight reading, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Now if you're considering cheat sheets with the chords and lyrics as a crutch, I think that could be a big help.'
'
Don't use it when you don't need it. Maybe a read through between sets, like that.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-15-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
dog_style
UG Senior Member

it's more of a self conciouncious question. would you feel less than doing this on stage for a cover band gig? and everyone is sitting. not just you.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:46 PM   #5
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

Paid gig? if ya screw up...ya wont be invited back!
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #6
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltTheWerewolf
Paid gig? if ya screw up...ya wont be invited back!

i wonder how common that happens with site readers.

some cover bands might need a emergency sit in player.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Captaincranky

This whole affair sounds like speculation/ getting ahead of yourself/ fantasizing but FWIW, session players have to practice sight reading and be spot on in real time when asked to do it.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
dannyalcatraz

Orchestral players use sheet music every time they play. Of course, they're playing very long and complex pieces, but even so, they've usually practiced enough that the sheet music in question is more of a reminder...a safety net...than an actual requirement.

If you're capable of reading music and you're coordinated enough to flip the pages- or have an extra-big music stand, or have some kind of app on a tablet, etc.- there shouldn't be an issue.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Prescott_Player

I've been playing for many years, and although I play a lot of the same songs every day, I still can't remember any of them well enough to play them without my notes... so I have a music stand in front of me every time I play. The notes consist of lyrics with the appropriate chords written just above them. Also, for what it's worth, I've never played sitting in my life... I just can't do it... the position is super awkward for me, so I always stand.

Now to answer your question, since I have occasionally been invited to play at parties, picnics, etc., my feeling is that since I never see any other guitar players using a music stand I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. On the other hand, I've seen a few people using them at our annual folk festival, and would probably feel OK with doing it there.

I have to mention that playing is only a hobby for me... I'm somewhat inconsistent from day to day, and I tend to stop dead when I make a mistake... and besides that, my vocal range is rather limited... so I'm not really very well-suited to giving performances... and the need for a music stand is just one more obstacle.

Last edited by Prescott_Player : 05-17-2013 at 03:40 AM.
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
Bikewer

Depends.... Classical musicians have the sheet music in front of them... Seen as normal. Jazz guys often have lead sheets and such...

However... Typically guys like me... Single performers doing singer-songwriter-"roots" type music... Don't
Sort of expected that you have the stuff down...

I agreed pretty much with this years ago... Thought that having a bunch of notes and sheet music was "unprofessional". Distracting....
However, now at 66... I have the very devil of a time remembering words. So... An unobtrusive lyric sheet (or iPad....) that you can just glance at when necessary...

I've become more forgiving.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
This whole affair sounds like speculation/ getting ahead of yourself/ fantasizing but FWIW, session players have to practice sight reading and be spot on in real time when asked to do it.

many musicians are often dreamers.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prescott_Player
I've been playing for many years, and although I play a lot of the same songs every day, I still can't remember any of them well enough to play them without my notes... so I have a music stand in front of me every time I play. The notes consist of lyrics with the appropriate chords written just above them. Also, for what it's worth, I've never played sitting in my life... I just can't do it... the position is super awkward for me, so I always stand.

Now to answer your question, since I have occasionally been invited to play at parties, picnics, etc., my feeling is that since I never see any other guitar players using a music stand I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. On the other hand, I've seen a few people using them at our annual folk festival, and would probably feel OK with doing it there.

I have to mention that playing is only a hobby for me... I'm somewhat inconsistent from day to day, and I tend to stop dead when I make a mistake... and besides that, my vocal range is rather limited... so I'm not really very well-suited to giving performances... and the need for a music stand is just one more obstacle.

thanks.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
Depends.... Classical musicians have the sheet music in front of them... Seen as normal. Jazz guys often have lead sheets and such...

However... Typically guys like me... Single performers doing singer-songwriter-"roots" type music... Don't
Sort of expected that you have the stuff down...

I agreed pretty much with this years ago... Thought that having a bunch of notes and sheet music was "unprofessional". Distracting....
However, now at 66... I have the very devil of a time remembering words. So... An unobtrusive lyric sheet (or iPad....) that you can just glance at when necessary...

I've become more forgiving.

maybe if the guy wore a suit it would be more accepted.
Old 05-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i've never seen a cover band or rock band use sheet music, and have very rarely seen a singer use lyric sheets. most of the cover bands i've seen have the singer and at least one guitar player moving around the stage, sometimes both guitarists (if there are 2) and the bass player. having to check sheet music would mean more stuff on stage to get in the way and also probably keeping the players in 1 place, as well as keeping the players from having eye contact with the audience, all of which would mean less of a feel of excitement.

the people using the sheet music would have to be REALLY good at not only sight reading but at finding their place - otherwise there could be breaks in timing or errors.

when i was playing in a cover band, we practiced all the songs together till we knew them, and practiced them alone and learned new songs to practice together on non-rehearsal days. every cover band i tried out for required new band members to know tons of songs people like to hear played in bars.

i have seen people use sheet music / lyrics at open mics and amateur shows, but again, if you have to find your place in a song, scanning paper while playing it isn't going to be good for timing or performance.

Last edited by patticake : 05-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
dog_style
UG Senior Member

i never seen it in a cover band either. but then again i haven't seen many acoustic rock cover bands at the same time.
i would wonder if it's maybe more acceptable if it's unplugged vs. electric.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 PM   #16
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i've seen a bunch of acoustic cover bands - never seen any good ones use sheet music. that doesn't mean one couldn't.

have you ever noticed how orchestras and classical combos work with sheet music? they know the piece they're playing well enough with regard to the music that they all turn their pages simultaneously. they also know their sheet music for each piece well enough that it makes it easier to find a spot if you forget something. that being said, except for specialty numbers, i haven't seen an orchestra that bothers with audience eye contact - it's a different situation.

to me, the same things would apply - whether you're all acoustic or not, sitting in one place staring at sheet music or lyrics isn't going to add excitement or a feeling of connection with the audience, and that connection with the audience tends to make an audience much more enthusiastic about a band.

Last edited by patticake : 05-18-2013 at 09:02 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #17
Captaincranky

Why do what seem to be the most frivolous threads, always seem to gain the most traction?
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #18
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

because we have no investment in the subject?

besides, i've seen much more frivolous threads
Old 05-19-2013, 01:10 AM   #19
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
because we have no investment in the subject?
Perhaps. But, perhaps some threads don't invoke personal investment. Yeah, that's the old "chicken or the egg" argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake
besides, i've seen much more frivolous threads
OK, so maybe this doesn't "peg the needle " on your "frivolometer", but mine is cruising somewhere between 8 and 9......

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-19-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

really?

i ask because to me this doesn't seem that frivolous. it sounds like dog_style is considering joining a band/project and he's concerned about this issue. i can understand it. it sounds to me like the band isn't ready to play live as they don't know their songs, and he's tempted because it's a gig, and because it's a paying gig, but is concerned.

Rate This Thread: