Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
alonbas

fender strat

i want to buy a fender strat this summer and i want help to decide which wiil it be..
my budget is 1600-2000 $
i like vintage sound like hank marvin and also buddy guy \ clapton \ hendriix more bluesy overdriven sound.
i have tried the american deluxe and it is very good but i've been told it has more of modren sound.. what about the ec artist? or ej? or some of the vintaqge sseries? does it stay in tune without the locking tuners? and is it hard to unblock the tremolo? i realy like trem.
alonbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Have a look at the AVRI series. You'd want a 60s one. Look used.

Here's one. This should be perfect.

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-amer...CFUzHtAodPkEAHg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:29 AM   #3
alonbas

i forgot to mention i want maple fretboard
Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Yea, they make Fenders with maple boards...

Google it.

Quote:

Old 05-16-2013, 04:06 AM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

Take another (long and careful) look at the American Deluxe Stratocaster. A truly first-rate instrument; better (in my opinion) that the prohibitively expensive Custom Shop "Reissues." The American Deluxe does not have a "modern sound" at all. It has a number of great sounds. The American Deluxe comes with Fender Noiseless pickups that can do all of the "traditional" Strat single coil sounds, and it has the "Greasebucket" circuitry that provides for even more tonal variation. I firmly believe that the American Deluxe series are the best instruments you can get from Fender these days. I've played the Custom Shop "reissues" (both guitar and bass) and I'll take the American Deluxe instruments any day.

http://www.fender.com/series/americ...board-tungsten/

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I wouldn't say better. It's not Custom Shop anymore its AVRI.

Rolled fretboard, thin nitro finish, accurate 50s replica, down to the pickups, trem, wood etc.

It's not got the Custom Shop stamp on it now so they're cheaper. They cost a similar amount to the Deluxe models.

I chose mine over the deluxe for a reason, because I think it's better. You don't have that level of comfort on a deluxe because it doesn't have that attention to detail.

I would say they're two sides of the same coin and are aimed at different people although lots of people compare good models of the AVRI to the CS guitars because of stuff like the awesome neck and accurate pickups etc.

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-16-2013 at 04:23 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
alonbas

ive tried today the normal american standard and in my opinion it sounds much better then the deluxe but. does it stay in tune even with the trem? and what is the importance of the locking tuners?
this is not my only guitar i have a gibson sg so the s1 swich and humbucker sound is not important to me.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Of course it stays in tune. But the locking tuners are quicker to get a string on and it helps sustain and keep tune if you go all ridiculous like Steve Vai on it.

The S1 switch doesn't make it sound like a humbucker... And even if it does, it would sound a lot different to your SG. It let's you use different combinations of pickups, the 5 way switch let's you do that on all Strats, but not as many as you can with the S1 switch.

If you have the money and you want something that's more vintage accurate then the AVRI series is your best bet. What about this?

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/fender-amer...te-blonde/73428

Quote:

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-16-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Axe Murderer

Welp, I own a 59 AVRI and a 2010 American Deluxe. Both are awesome guitars

I also have a Mexi Roadworn with 60's rosewood neck and the 50's two tone body with single ply scratchplate. This has Tex-Mex pickups and is an INSANE guitar for the money.

For me, I really prefer the 59AVRI due to the nitro finish and vintage spec.

You cant go wrong with either as they are both EXCELLENT instruments. The tonal variety of the Deluxe cannot be ignored either.

Tough choice. Just get both like I did!
Axe Murderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
JELIFISH19

It depends what you want. I think the American Deluxes has things that improve upon vintage strats such as 22 frets, a less intrusive heel, locking tuners, better bridge, flatter neck so notes don't fret out, and noiseless pickups. Some people are ok with the negatives of a strat and like those aspects of them. I personally dislike them so I went with the American Deluxe. But you want a vintage-spec'd strat, the American Vintage are great. And the S-1 switch doesn't make it sound like humbuckers at all. It just gives you access to more tones that are somewhat unique. I've found uses for all of them and I even prefer some of them over some of the standard 5-way positions. I know the earlier American Deluxes sounded darker than a vintage Strat which I loved but they changed the pickups a few years ago so I'm not sure if that applies to the new ones. It's something to keep in mind though.
Boss GT-10

GAS list:
Carvin V3MC (Hot White Bronco)
JELIFISH19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: