Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-17-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
brutalx
Proficient Procrastinator

Theory and Choosing a Classical Guitar

A little back story before I get to the point: I am currently a student in a university in the Midwest, halfway across the country from the east coast where I live. Despite completing two years at that university, I decided to switch my major to music business.

Part of the process of switching to music business is an audition in which I will have to play classical guitar. I have never owned a classical guitar and I have no idea what to look for. I am self-taught, playing (mostly metal, some rock, and the occasional blues song) for seven years now. Although I know my way around the fret board, but I have limited knowledge in terms of theory (amateur mistake, I know), and finger picking.

I have always appreciated the UG community, despite contributing very little to it (besides a few tabs). So I come to you all in my time of need. I am very passionate about playing and practicing guitar (yes, I know the difference and I spend plenty of time on both). Ultimately, I have three questions, but number one is most important.

One: Any suggestions on a brand or specific classical guitar (preferably under $450-500) that you believe are worth the money?

Two: Any suggestions on good theory books or any good reads for classical guitar?

Three: Any suggestions on classical guitar artists/songs to listen to, so I can get a feel for the genre?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a summer and a semester before my audition and I am more than willing to put the effort in. Music is one thing I am very passionate about, and I'm sure the same is true for many of you. Sorry for the long post but this is very important to me.

Thanks again,
Brutalx
brutalx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
stealthpumpkin

1) Cordoba is a nice guitar brand that i have always used, they range from 200-several thousand, there cheaper models still sound fantastic, i recommend you look into those.

2) I recommend the internet, haha. But if you want classical music theory, pick up a collegeboard AP music theory book; make sure you research classical guitar positioning, you will want to place the guitar in between your legs, and arc it at about 45-60 degrees, this gives you better playability, allowing you to shift between bar chords much easier. Your index, middle and ring are used for plucking the trebles and sometimes the d or a, but never the E. Just look up classic etiquette on google.

3) Classical guitar covers a style of playing, there are many different genres under it, for example, you could play traditional classical and play some bach, but you could also have songs that are transposed to be played classicaly (basically taking a song and orchestrating it so that you can play nearly all the parts on the guitar).
here are some examples:

stealthpumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: