Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
MarcFlink

I want to have the opportunity to play many different genres. Which amp should i get?

Hey guys.. The long title might have been able to inform you what this thread is about

I'm gonna go buy an electric guitar and an amp very soon, and i don't really know what to get for the amp part of it

I'm thinking that im gonna go for a Standard Strat (depending on how it feels in my hands ;D )

But for the amp part, im kinda puzzled, because i want to be able to play alot of different sounds.

I wanna be able to play Bruce Springsteen ( everything from Death to my Hometown to Glory Days and Bobby Jean), John Mayer (His blues stuff like Gravity and Slow Dancing in a Burning Room), and stuff like Green Day.

What the hell do i do? At first i was thinking about getting a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue, but will it really be able to play Green Day??

What should i get, so that i'll be able to play many different kinds of genres, without sacrificing the sound you get from tube amps??

Info about me that might be useful:

I don't own an electric guitar or amp. It's going to be my first purchase, but i have played acoustic steel string guitar for a couple of years, and it is my passion.

Have been dreaming about an electric and now i finally have the money to get some proper gear.. I know i will stick with it, cause playing guitar and writing music is all i do all day long :-)

I'm willing to spend around 850-900 dollars on this purchase (i live in europe, so prices are gonna be the same as they are on Thomann, not what they are in the states..)

Donno what else to tell you? Hope you can help me figure it out, by coming with some suggestions!
Thank you in advance
MarcFlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #2
DannyV783

The deluxe reverb would do great for what you want but your gonna want an od pedal for John Mayer blues type stuff and Bruce Springsteen I think, and a distortion pedal for green day and punk stuff. But you'll need that with any amp, imo most amps on board od\dist suck and fender is known for a great clean channel and then your supposed to add pedals to boost that if you want. But anyway its a great amp id look at all the fender amps in your area if I were you they're the best imo
DannyV783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #3
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyV783
The deluxe reverb would do great for what you want but your gonna want an od pedal for John Mayer blues type stuff and Bruce Springsteen I think, and a distortion pedal for green day and punk stuff. But you'll need that with any amp, imo most amps on board od\dist suck and fender is known for a great clean channel and then your supposed to add pedals to boost that if you want. But anyway its a great amp id look at all the fender amps in your area if I were you they're the best imo

Ever played a Marshall, Peavey 5150, Mesa Boogie, or cranked up AC30? All the bands using tube amp distortion want a different opinion.

I recommend an Egnater Renegade. Has the cleans to play the clean stuff VERY well and can be dialed in to sound close to a Fender, and it has the sort of Marshally gain to play punk stuff and Green Day.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals

Last edited by sg4ever : 05-20-2013 at 08:25 AM.
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
AndyGray
UG Addict

Check out the Peavey Classic 30 or Vox AC30. The cleans are both delicious & they can easily handle the heavier side of hard rock/punk.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
TomMon
Sick of Smiths covers

Basically any small tube amp can handle your requirements, with the option of an overdrive for flexibility/added dirt.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
dnamra13
metal fanatic from hell

Secondhand JCM 800 combo with an OD for heavy stuff.
dnamra13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:35 AM   #7
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnamra13
Secondhand JCM 800 combo with an OD for heavy stuff.

They simply aren't available. Can't even find one on ebay :/
Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
Ever played a Marshall, Peavey 5150, Mesa Boogie, or cranked up AC30? All the bands using tube amp distortion want a different opinion.

I recommend an Egnater Renegade. Has the cleans to play the clean stuff VERY well and can be dialed in to sound close to a Fender, and it has the sort of Marshally gain to play punk stuff and Green Day.

Like the JCM 800, i can't even find this on ebay or anywhere else (especially not anywhere local)

Does anyone agree with the first poster, that the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue can do the trick, with the help of some external gear ??
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Linkerman
UG's Tony Stark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFlink
Does anyone agree with the first poster, that the Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue can do the trick, with the help of some external gear ??

I agree.

Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Ampeg GVT52.
All three have great clean channels, nice spring reverb units, and take pedals extremely well.
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Linkerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #10
ExDementia
UG Freak

I would say you'd be better off just getting an amp that can do both well, especially since there are plenty of them. An AC30 should be able to dirty up enough for what you want and can do great cleans. Another few to consider would be a Bogner Alchemist, an Orange Tiny Terror, a Peavey Classic 30, or an Egnater Rebel. Any of those should be able to do both styles quite well.

You seem to be partial to Fender, but I wouldn't limit myself to a one trick pony and have to mess with additional gear -- especially when you're just getting into electrics.

Edit: Also, take a look at a Line 6 DT25. Don't be scared off by the name, it's an excellent amp, and extremely versatile. I want one so bad....

Last edited by ExDementia : 05-20-2013 at 11:30 AM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
MattCox12345

Try a modelling amp like the Fender Mustang or Line 6 Spider. Maybe even a Roland CUbe or something. I used to own a Mustang II and it could be used for everything.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCox12345
Try a modelling amp like the Fender Mustang or Line 6 Spider. Maybe even a Roland CUbe or something. I used to own a Mustang II and it could be used for everything.

Thanks for the reply, but i'm not interested in modelling amps. I want the real deal, because all i hear is that if i buy a modelling amp it will be a waste of money, cause i will end up buying a tube amp anyway.

So i might as well cut off the modelling amp part and jump straight to the quality that i actually want, if you know what i mean.

Im serious about music, and i plan on doing gigs when i get the hang of my guitar skills on electric (i sing as well)
Old 05-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #13
Moose_Guitarist
UG's Only Moose Guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCox12345
helpful

I feel as though these would not be good for what he is looking for. It seems that he wants to buy a better amp than those modeling options, especially around the $800-$900 range. I would support the fender recommendation. The clean from fender are unmatched and you could colour your tone the way you want with pedals. I would say that it gives you a lot more opportunities to create your own unique tone!
Moose_Guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:36 AM   #14
ragingkitty
meow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExDementia
Also, take a look at a Line 6 DT25. Don't be scared off by the name, it's an excellent amp, and extremely versatile. I want one so bad....

+1 on the DT series, but I'd recommend the 50 over the 25. More headroom is very good when you start jamming and gigging.

The DT series has surprisingly nice models for the Cleans, Chime and Crunch sounds, ho I think their Mesa model is too saturated and lacks the definition that is part of Mesa's sound.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
ragingkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
sg4ever
clashof the coconuts

Quote:
Like the JCM 800, i can't even find this on ebay or anywhere else (especially not anywhere local)

Strange, Guitar Centers were infested with head/cab and combo versions of the Renegade for years. I see them on Ebay all the time everyday. Maybe people are catching on??? A Fender Blues Deluxe with an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Tubescreamer will do everything you want, but I'm biased towards for amp distortion 90% of the time.

Maybe try a Peavey Classic 30. They can do the cleans wonderfully, and the overdrive should suit most rock and punk stuff.
Vox AC15C1
various pedals
sg4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
They simply aren't available. Can't even find one on ebay :/

What country? I see some.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...cat=0&_from=R40

That said, for a first electric guitar purchase, something with only one channel may not be a good idea.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gh50l.htm
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gs212ie.htm
Would be cool.

But should you really be aiming for a tube amp this early in the game? I always question that for people getting into it. You're not even really sure what tone you want, at this point in the game.

I would be looking at a modeling amp of some kinda, that will give you all sorts of tones so that way you can learn what you like.
Peavey Vypyrs are pretty popular these days.

That DT50, I've never played one, but it seems pretty neat.

Last edited by forsaknazrael : 05-20-2013 at 11:55 AM.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkerman
I agree.

Check out the Fender Blues Deluxe, the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and the Ampeg GVT52.
All three have great clean channels, nice spring reverb units, and take pedals extremely well.

Thanks for replying!

i took a look at a review of the Ampeg GVT52. Never heard of the brand before (im not a big nut in these circles YET!) but the review makes it sound amazing!

Looked it up on youtube and it really sounds fantastic!

The pricetag is actually also a lot lower than the Blues Deluxe Reissue!

it is actually only half of the Fender

Can anyone confirm this?

Or are there any opinions on the Ampeg GVT52 112 ??

Man, if i got this, i could get an American Standard instead of a regular standard xD Something to think about :p
Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #18
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, but i'm not interested in modelling amps. I want the real deal, because all i hear is that if i buy a modelling amp it will be a waste of money, cause i will end up buying a tube amp anyway.

So i might as well cut off the modelling amp part and jump straight to the quality that i actually want, if you know what i mean.

Im serious about music, and i plan on doing gigs when i get the hang of my guitar skills on electric (i sing as well)

It sounds like you haven't tried either option out for yourself?

Wouldn't it be wiser to make a better informed decision on your own?
Old 05-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #19
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaknazrael
That said, for a first electric guitar purchase, something with only one channel may not be a good idea.

But should you really be aiming for a tube amp this early in the game? I always question that for people getting into it. You're not even really sure what tone you want, at this point in the game.

I would be looking at a modeling amp of some kinda, that will give you all sorts of tones so that way you can learn what you like.
Peavey Vypyrs are pretty popular these days.

That DT50, I've never played one, but it seems pretty neat.

+1

Though there's a pretty huge price disparity between a Vypyr and a DT.

But for your first amp, get something versatile and cheap like the Fender Mustang III or the Peavey Vypyr 30. Modeling amps are excellent choices for beginners because they will let you explore a wide variety of tones out there, and let you figure out what you want for yourself.

Most people do end up with all tube amps that specialize in a certain field, but that's AFTER a period of time of figuring out what it is they want. I don't think you should try to skip that period. I think it's important as a guitarist to go through that phase of discovery. Not that that phase ever really ends.

EDIT: And don't fall into the trap of thinking that "modeling" means "low quality". There are some excellent modeling amps out there. From the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60/120 on the cheap end, all the way up to the Kemper Profiling Amp. Neither of which nor any of the good modelers in between are anything to turn your nose up at.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 05-20-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:10 PM   #20
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Haha I've never seen the DT50, much less heard of it, so I had no idea about the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
Most people do end up with all tube amps that specialize in a certain field, but that's AFTER a period of time of figuring out what it is they want. I don't think you should try to skip that period. I think it's important as a guitarist to go through that phase of discovery. Not that that phase ever really ends.

EDIT: And don't fall into the trap of thinking that "modeling" means "low quality". There are some excellent modeling amps out there. From the Peavey Vypyr Tube 60/120 on the cheap end, all the way up to the Kemper Profiling Amp. Neither of which nor any of the good modelers in between are anything to turn your nose up at.

+1

Rate This Thread: