Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2013, 12:12 PM   #21
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsaknazrael
It sounds like you haven't tried either option out for yourself?

Wouldn't it be wiser to make a better informed decision on your own?

Well im going to a store in the near future to look at my options Im going to try out the Fender one (i know he has those in store all the time) and im going to call the store and see if they have the Ampeg one so i can see what it's like firsthand :

I'd never invest such a large sum of money on something i hadn't even tried out

So dont worry xD Im going to try it out, but i still want to hear what you guys have to say. You are the experts, after all!

EDIT:
And they'll have all sorts of modelling amps as well, so ill make sure that i'll try them all, instead of blindly making a decision

Last edited by MarcFlink : 05-20-2013 at 12:23 PM.
MarcFlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #22
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg4ever
Strange, Guitar Centers were infested with head/cab and combo versions of the Renegade for years. I see them on Ebay all the time everyday. Maybe people are catching on??? A Fender Blues Deluxe with an MI Audio Crunch Box and a Tubescreamer will do everything you want, but I'm biased towards for amp distortion 90% of the time.

Maybe try a Peavey Classic 30. They can do the cleans wonderfully, and the overdrive should suit most rock and punk stuff.

I live in Denmark, so there are no Guitar Center ;( It hurts to live in the middle of nowhere... Also, i cant buy stuff from american Ebay, we have a special page thingy..

I don't have alot of options, and those i have dont offer any kinds of Egnater gear.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:15 PM   #23
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcFlink
I'd never invest such a large sum of money on something i hadn't even tried out

Well, I do it all the time, tbh.
forsaknazrael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:19 PM   #24
MarcFlink

Quote:
What country? I see some.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...cat=0&_from=R40

That said, for a first electric guitar purchase, something with only one channel may not be a good idea.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gh50l.htm
+
http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_gs212ie.htm
Would be cool.

But should you really be aiming for a tube amp this early in the game? I always question that for people getting into it. You're not even really sure what tone you want, at this point in the game.

I would be looking at a modeling amp of some kinda, that will give you all sorts of tones so that way you can learn what you like.
Peavey Vypyrs are pretty popular these days.

That DT50, I've never played one, but it seems pretty neat.

Im from Denmark, so those items on the Ebay link that you sent; i cant buy those

I get what you are saying, but a guy replied with the suggestion of a Ampeg amp that seems to be able to play all kinds of different stuff, and with a couple of pedals on top, then i think i got what i need.

But i'd rather get something really good, than getting something that doesn't quite cut it, because i'll end up buying the real deal. It's just a matter of time, and since money is scarse (i got all the money from a birthday ) i'd rather not let anything "go to waste". I hope you get what im saying

Last edited by MarcFlink : 05-20-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #25
MarcFlink

Quote:
Well, I do it all the time, tbh.

Sadly, i dont have a steady income as of now, so i cant splash all my money on fun

Someday, though!!!! Someday
Old 05-20-2013, 02:55 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

thomann has a pretty good price on the traynor ycv50b. might be worth considering. cheaper than the fender, and with a far better overdrive channel.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #27
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

A modelling amp might just able to "cut it" since it's designed to be able to play several genres.
A tube amp is specialized, usually. If you're unsure of what you want in your electric guitar tone, it may not do what you want, especially as your tastes evolve.

Consider it, really.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ true, but at the same time i'm not sure he needs that wide a variety of tones there, he only really needs a fendery clean tone and a more marshally drive tone.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #29
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

That's pretty fair.

I retubed my YCV40 the other day, that thing sounds awesome! If he gets the YCV50 Blue, I agree, he'd probably be pretty happy.
Old 05-21-2013, 07:21 AM   #30
MarcFlink

One of my friends has a YCV50 and tbh i don't think it sounds as good as the pricetag.. I haven't heard the Ampeg GVT52-112 firsthand, but what i heard on youtube was miles better than the YCV, and also cheaper..

But i guess it's just preference
Old 05-21-2013, 10:15 AM   #31
Perverockstar69

Bogner Alchemist
Laney LC50
Line 6 DT

A good Fender with pedals, like some already said, looks like a nice option.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Laney LC15R
Orange PPC212OB
Gibson SG Standard
LTD Viper-500
Catalinbread Ottava Magus
Jim Dunlop CFH
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzzhugger Algal Bloom
Ibanez TS9DX (mods)
Perverockstar69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #32
innovine

I have a dt 25 and can recommend it. I do a lot of covers and change genre a lot, so flexibility is a big plus for me. The sound quality is really good, quite a bit better than other modelling amps I've tried. I've also had the opportunity to play it beside an ac30 and a fender deluxe reverb, and yeah sure its not as good, but it DOES come close. Closr than the price difference would suggest. At its price point its really very good, and offers a lot of bang for the buck! Features and flexibility won out over sound purity for me. It sounds fantastic by itsedf its just the a/b comparison where you start to hear the differences. Its also got real tubes in its power stage. Unfortunately I haven't pushed them hard all that often due to neighbours etc. Its Loud!

Last edited by innovine : 05-21-2013 at 10:32 AM.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #33
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
One of my friends has a YCV50 and tbh i don't think it sounds as good as the pricetag.. I haven't heard the Ampeg GVT52-112 firsthand, but what i heard on youtube was miles better than the YCV, and also cheaper..

But i guess it's just preference

YCV50 or YCV40? They're different.
Old 05-21-2013, 02:33 PM   #34
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ also, have you tried it yourself or just listened to him playing it?

fwiw i liked the 40 i tried, but as you say, personal preference does play a pretty big part. Objectively, though, i'd say it's a pretty killer amp for the money thomann sells it for- assuming you like its tone, lol.

Quote:
That's pretty fair.

I retubed my YCV40 the other day, that thing sounds awesome! If he gets the YCV50 Blue, I agree, he'd probably be pretty happy.

i've only tried the 40, but the schematics for each appear to be almost identical, apart from the power tubes (and speaker), so I'm guessing it'd work for what he wants

Old 05-21-2013, 04:55 PM   #35
Weeping_Demon7
Feminist

Haven't played one in a while, but check out the Vox AC30. Classic cleans, classic crunch; beautiful amp.

Anything it can't do, you can get a peddle to do it for you.

Proud Member of:
The SG Owners Unite
Marshall Amplification
EHX Users Guild

The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society

Weeping_Demon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
MarcFlink

Quote:
YCV50 or YCV40? They're different.

Well. I did write YCV50 ;D.. so that might just be the one...
Old 05-22-2013, 12:24 PM   #37
MarcFlink

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
I have a dt 25 and can recommend it. I do a lot of covers and change genre a lot, so flexibility is a big plus for me. The sound quality is really good, quite a bit better than other modelling amps I've tried. I've also had the opportunity to play it beside an ac30 and a fender deluxe reverb, and yeah sure its not as good, but it DOES come close. Closr than the price difference would suggest. At its price point its really very good, and offers a lot of bang for the buck! Features and flexibility won out over sound purity for me. It sounds fantastic by itsedf its just the a/b comparison where you start to hear the differences. Its also got real tubes in its power stage. Unfortunately I haven't pushed them hard all that often due to neighbours etc. Its Loud!

Sounds real good, but actually, the Fender is cheaper... :/

And, if it doesn't sound as well, then what's the point?
Old 05-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #38
forsaknazrael
..kupo?

Quote:
Well. I did write YCV50 ;D.. so that might just be the one...

Well, could have been a misunderstanding or typo.

I thought the YCV50 was pretty good, especially for the price tag. Could be your friend doesn't know how to dial in a good Marshall tone.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:00 PM   #39
D_M_I
Omniscient

D_M_I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #40
Mybleedinglung8
UG's bad 80's music fan

The Bad Cougar has a lot of sound options - http://www.thomann.de/gb/bad_cat_cougar_50.htm

and this one might be worth a look too - http://www.thomann.de/gb/ampeg_gvt52_112.htm

and this - http://www.thomann.de/gb/laney_lc30112n.htm

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
Mybleedinglung8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: