Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Classic Rock
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
StefanWylde

I have horrible sense of rhythm

Okay this may seem like I'm a compliment *****, but actually I just want to ask for your advice. So I've been playing the guitar for like 7 months (6 on acoustic, last month I bought myself cheap crappy electric guitar which I plug into my computer and use it as an amplifier). Anyways, I'm mostly focused on speed and technique, I only know 3-4 songs to play by chords.. (actual chords, not power ones, maybe there are some bar but it doesn't matter).
Let's get back to soloing... I learned the Stairway to Heaven solo, but meh I'm so out of place and it seems to me like I can't get better than that.
Stairway to Heaven Solo Cover

Check it out, each note is either 2 or 3 milliseconds faster or slower than it should be. At least that's how it seems to be. And I cannot match Jimmy Page's original studio version no matter what..
What am I supposed to do? How do I train myself to stay in place?
StefanWylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

7 months?

What sorcery is this?
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
EvilAlienSquid

I'm a bassist so I will not tell you anything about your cover, but I can give you some advices to practice your rhythm skills. Use a metronome (an online one, you don't have to buy it), and for start do some simple exercises like playing a note on every click, than playing one on each click and one in between (if you think of each click as a beat, that would be quarter and eight notes). Start with some slow tempo and then increase the tempo slowly. And try to play a steady beat perfectly before you increase it. Later try playing some scales, simple melodies etc. until your rhythm skills are improved. In the end try to play all those exercises without metronome. And don't focus on speed until your rhythm is good, because no one wants to play with a musician that can't keep a rhythm.
EvilAlienSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #4
Koekoeksklok

Your rhythm is fine, that difference of 2 or 3 milliseconds from where you think it should be is actually what adds the human element to a solo.

On the other hand, your bends are really bad, you don't reach the notes you're aiming for and/or you release the bend just before you stop playing the note when you're supposed to end the note bended. The dissonance that creates is what makes it sound bad, not any rhythm issue (which I don't think is there anyway).
Koekoeksklok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
fanapathy
B-Tuned

Well if you're playing along to the track if recording and not syncing the 2 tracks separately, there's some delay when you use GR so they won't be perfectly in sync. However I guess that is not the case.

I sometimes tab solos from studio recordings and listen to it slowed way down, can tell you that it's normal to not have perfect durations nor to be on perfect time. There's plenty of solos that are a mess compared to what they theoretically "should" sound like, that are still very amazing.

And of course what you're really looking for here "WTF you've only played for 7 months?!?!? OMG" etc.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanapathy
Well if you're playing along to the track if recording and not syncing the 2 tracks separately, there's some delay when you use GR so they won't be perfectly in sync. However I guess that is not the case.

I sometimes tab solos from studio recordings and listen to it slowed way down, can tell you that it's normal to not have perfect durations nor to be on perfect time. There's plenty of solos that are a mess compared to what they theoretically "should" sound like, that are still very amazing.

And of course what you're really looking for here "WTF you've only played for 7 months?!?!? OMG" etc.

I've recorded with this program Reaper, I recorded while listening to the backing track. But you know what, it could be Guitar Rig... I just cannot afford an amplifier so yea, the delay has to be there. Do you think that there can be some consequences caused by this delay from Guitar Rig?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
7 months?

What sorcery is this?

I suppose that you're "trolling" me?

Mr Crowley (with 2 solos) - after 6 months of practice

Then again, check this guy out, he does Mr Crowley, and I asked him how long he have played, he answered, 6 months...

Last edited by StefanWylde : 05-20-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
Nero Galon

I was actually giving you a nice compliment :P

Makes me wonder what the hell I have been doing with myself these past years when I can barely do anything.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM   #8
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nero Galon
I was actually giving you a nice compliment :P

Makes me wonder what the hell I have been doing with myself these past years when I can barely do anything.

Well I'm sorry then, there are so many trolls around the internet, you can barely recognize them.
And just so I don't look like a fool, I am aware that you could still be trolling me.

Anyways, seeing guys like this one (with the Mr Crowley cover) makes me wanna quit the guitar...
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #9
Zaqq

Very nice for 7 months. Do not underestimate your skills. Many people play for like year or more and still suck compared to you. But still it's nice that you look for improvements and you're not like "oh I can play Smoke on the Water, I'm a pro guitarist now". Practice and improve the skills you already have.
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaqq
Very nice for 7 months. Do not underestimate your skills. Many people play for like year or more and still suck compared to you. But still it's nice that you look for improvements and you're not like "oh I can play Smoke on the Water, I'm a pro guitarist now". Practice and improve the skills you already have.

The thing is (I know far from possible but) I wanna become one of the greatest guitarists you know, to build a name, since I'm dedicating most of my time on playing on the guitar.
Crazy Train solo Cover
Check out my Crazy Train solo cover, I can spot the mistakes, but while recording, even though nobody watches me, nor I have audience in front of me, I get nervous and cannot do one perfect cover even if you threaten me to death.
Old 05-20-2013, 03:47 PM   #11
Nero Galon

I'm really not trolling you...

I've been playing in between 2 and 3 years and i'm very limited to what I can play. I know I have much to improve and struggle at this stage.

You and that other guy must be incredibly fast learners to play like that already, its good you have high ambitions too. That could be where I am going wrong, I know i'm not capable of doing much in anytime soon so it puts me off a little.

Don't think people are patronizing you with your playing because you genuinely are over performing, in fact it might be a good idea to let my dad see your skills. He might finally shut up about me :P
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM   #12
Led Zep fan

OMG!!!!! dude !!!!!! your way to good! I try and I try, but I just can't do solos! I'm more of the rhythm guitarist, maybe I have been playing bass to much lately. Man as soon as you hit that first note of that solo i was like, dude 7 months, you must practice 24/7. literally.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
StefanWylde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zep fan
OMG!!!!! dude !!!!!! your way to good! I try and I try, but I just can't do solos! I'm more of the rhythm guitarist, maybe I have been playing bass to much lately. Man as soon as you hit that first note of that solo i was like, dude 7 months, you must practice 24/7. literally.

Now that's trolling. The first note(bend) is WAY out of place.
(I assume you're talking about the Stairway to Heaven)?

Last edited by StefanWylde : 05-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:20 AM   #14
Led Zep fan

Its better than anything I can do.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #15
MattHessing

StefanWylde is clearly the one trolling...
MattHessing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
sovaso
All-American Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHessing
StefanWylde is clearly the one trolling...

Yeah Bro, You're Good. Be Proud of that and when someone gives you a compliment, Take it and don't slap it back in their faces.
You are a very good guitarist, this STH cover solo is great.

Last edited by sovaso : 06-20-2013 at 11:30 AM.
sovaso is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: