Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2013, 02:59 PM   #1
AngryIndianDude

Bla-bla-bla Building Budget Metal Pedalboard

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting 6 pedals to fill a PB600 by Behringer for a proper budget board. So far I got these in mind. These would be for someone who plays metal, small gigs and is an aspiring gigger. Current rig is 81+85 PU's going into a spider 3 75w combo (and no, assume I am I not getting a new amp as frankly there is no room, and I'd rather get a board now and a better amp later when I'm actually worthy / not some blinded 16 year old kid who can actually make decisions about amps when im older)

Looking at getting budget pedals for a well and truly budget board. Here's what I'm thinking of getting. Feel free to pull your eyes out and tell me what I'm doing wrong or tell me if this is any good. ASSUME I HAVE NO ALTERNATIVE BECAUSE PARENTS AND SPACE ;DDDDDD

Ive listed them not in their order on the board but the ones ill get first.

PEDAL 1 I have some of these in mind for a rhythm distortion tone. What do we reckon? I would choose one of these for a distortion, turning it off for the cleans or perhaps throwing in a clean pedal if it sounds crappy.

- Boss Power Stack (Rhythm tone, sounds like gold, > DS1 / ML2 / Metal core from what i've heard)
- Maxon OD808 - as it's overdrive not distortion I could use it as a boost
- Boss SD-1 ^ same reasoning as prior
- Boss DS-1
Tempted to go for the OD808 or SD1. I prefer the idea of a boost

PEDAL 2 This would be FX 1, reverb. Got these in mind for a super budget reverb
- Harley Benton Reverb
- Behringer DR600 Digital Reverb << yes I'm well and truly poor but it's just reverb, I don't mind a bit of skimping here I hardly use it

PEDAL 3 This would be a compressor, need one to tighten sound.
- Behringer CL2

PEDAL 4 Noise gate, again I don't wish to spend anything more than £30 on this as it really isn't worth it IMO, with this limited money it could be better spent.
- Behringer Noise Gate NR 300
- Boss Noise suppresor (£70 vs £23, I think I will take the behringer as £70 isnt justified on a non-effect pedal IMO!)

5 and 6 will be a looper + something undecided.

Remember my amp is a modelling amp so I can use pedals to boost or replace entirely the effect on the amp, or choose to skimp out on pedals and just go with the on-board stuffs.

Thanks everyone, you have my thanks, put a kid on track in guitar life and ensure I don't waste money!!
AngryIndianDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

OK, here's a warning: someone else will tell you in greater detail that putting good/great pedals in front of a modeling amp isn't a good idea.

That said, you might want to consider these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JekyllHyde

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Famulus/

Pricey? Sort of, but remember, they both deliver distortion AND overdrive, so they're essentially 2 pedals in one. That saves space, cabling, power supply, and maybe some money. The J&H is the same price as the Maxon, for instance.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-20-2013 at 03:17 PM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
OK, here's a warning: someone else will tell you in greater detail that putting good/great pedals in front of a modeling amp isn't a good idea.

That said, you might want to consider these:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JekyllHyde

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Famulus/

Pricey? Sort of, but remember, they both deliver distortion AND overdrive, so they're essentially 2 pedals in one. That saves space, cabling, power supply, and maybe some money.

Heyo, I know its so bad to do modelling + pedals but I have no other way of making a decent sound without getting pedals to modify what i already have Thanks for the links!
Old 05-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Personally, I wouldn't buy a cheap pedal to put in front of a modeling amp. Here's why:

While a pricey pedal may or may not improve your modeling amp's sound much, a cheap one definitely won't. You're just as well off using your modeling amp's tech as a cheap pedal, and saving your money for a better amp or investing in a few decent pedals and building your board over time.

Old 05-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #5
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Personally, I wouldn't buy a cheap pedal to put in front of a modeling amp. Here's why:

While a pricey pedal may or may not improve your modeling amp's sound much, a cheap one definitely won't. You're just as well off using your modeling amp's tech as a cheap pedal, and saving your money for a better amp or investing in a few decent pedals and building your board over time.

Would you consider the more high-end ones I listed (Maxon OD808/Stack Amp ST2 from boss) worth buying, but chuck out the crappy low-end ones eg the behringers? Cheers
Old 05-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryIndianDude
Would you consider the more high-end ones I listed (Maxon OD808/Stack Amp ST2 from boss) worth buying, but chuck out the crappy low-end ones eg the behringers? Cheers

Not for that amp. They would be great if you had a decent tube amp, but you don't. You have a poor quality amp and no matter what pedals you put in front of it, you still won't be satisfied with the sound you get.

Seriously, if you can afford pedals, you can afford a better amp than what you have.

Sell the amp and put that together with the budget you have for pedals, you'll be able to afford an amp that will be a huge improvement on your Spider AND it will have all the effects you'll need. Check out the Peavey Vypyr & the Vox Valvetronix series.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Basically, yes.* Buy good pedals and ignore the cheapies. Those DO serve a purpose: if you had a TUBE amp, they'd probably be perfect for your budget pedalboard.

Building your board this way will require patience and money, but it will pay dividends over time. They will be better built, won't crap out on you quickly, should deliver a lot of flexibility and/or a narrow range of killer tones, and- unless your tastes or needs change radically as you grow as a player- they may last you a lifetime.

* Though I obviously prefer the ones I suggested. Of course, preferences are personal- the Maxon may be exactly the right pedal for the sound you seek.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

I think you don't need at least half of those pedals you mentioned. Why would you buy some cheap reverb pedal if you already have reverb on your amp? Are you really sure you need a compressor or a noise gate? Or a looper?
Since you can't get a better amp (althought it would be the best solution), you could get a good distortion pedal to get a sound for metal which will be better than the one from the amp. Leave the rest of the money for something else.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:53 PM   #9
crazysam23_Atax
Feuergesicht

The thing is, you need a new amp. No matter what quality pedals you get, if your amp is bad, it doesn't matter. To use a food example, you can mix excellent spices into cheap, shitty-tasting food; but no matter how many spices you use, it won't taste all that great. You need good quality food to begin with. The same is true of an amp; you need a good quality amp to begin with. Then, you can add in pedals (fine spices) to make your sound good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackovSlayer
Since you can't get a better amp (althought it would be the best solution), you could get a good distortion pedal to get a sound for metal which will be better than the one from the amp. Leave the rest of the money for something else.

For right now, this is the only thing I would do. Save up the rest of your cash for a good tube amp or an excellent solid state that can handle high levels of distortion. I've heard good things about the Blackstar HT amp heads.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 05-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:08 PM   #10
negativefx

Never had good results with overdrives in front of modelling amps (Spider III, Valve mk1). I'd recommend getting a better head before dumping money on pedals. Find the guitar, find the amp, then the pedals. A spider won't do much with an OD and why spend money on a verb when the spider already does a decent job with verbs? I find that the pedal behavior is heavily dependent on the amp. I switched from a Bogner to an Orange and had to replace my boost and two overdrives because they just didn't behave the same.

If you really want the flexibility of modelling at a reasonable price, try out the Alchemist. You can get them for under $500 on CL. Verbs and Delays onboard until you get more cash.

If you want almost all that stuff on one unit, M9 is pretty nice. It's got a built in gate that doesn't take up an FX block. Used for $200.

Lastly, spending an extra $50 on a nice overdrive is going to do a lot more for you than a bunch of Behringer pedals.

Last edited by negativefx : 05-20-2013 at 05:09 PM.
negativefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #11
ryanbwags

(Grabs a big stick, and walks over to the already dead horse. Proceeds to continue beating it.)
If you are not happy with what you're getting from the Spider, pedals won't do much. I know, I used to have the same one. I have a friend with too much gear for his own good, tried many of his pedals.
Get a nice, low wattage tube amp. There are plenty between 300 and 500 dollars US. One like the aforementioned Blackstar. I personally picked up an Egnator Tweaker, I thought it got closest to the sounds I wanted. Put a good pedal in front of it. I got myself an EHX Metal Muff, great distortion with an awesome gain boost. Sell the Spider for some extra cash. You will never use it again.
ryanbwags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Like I said:

Quote:

GaryBillinton basically has the best plan.

But, old as I am, I remember what it was like to be 16 (albeit foggily): if you are dead set on buying pedals NOW, buy good ones and ignore the cheap ones- the cheapies won't do you any good at all with your current amp.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
La Qotsa
BOOM

I'm with everybody else here ... buy/save for a new amp with your money instead.

Although I feel that I NEED to say that the Maxon OD808 is probably the best thing you could put in front of an amp.
Behringer FCB1010
La Qotsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by La Qotsa
Although I feel that I NEED to say that the Maxon OD808 is probably the best thing you could put in front of an amp.

Yeah, but not his amp. It would be a shame if maxon ends up in front of line 6 spider.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #15
thebestjoe

I would NOT recommend the Behringer noise gate. I got one in a trade, and it doesn't feel like it can hold at a gig. It added a hissing noise through the amp I used it with too.

If you do think that a non-effect pedal can't be justified, I dropped $180 USD (~€140) on my noise gate (ISP Decimater G String) in December and I have no extra noise or feed back, and quite frankly, it sounds like my amp is off when I'm not playing.

I know the spider series has a built-in noise gate, read the manual to figure out how to turn it on.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
jthm_guitarist
"funny" but "unmemorable"

You're just throwing money away if you plan on buying a bunch of Behringer pedals to use on your Spider 3 amp. Quality over quantity my friend, trust us when we say what you need is a new amp.

show
jthm_guitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:23 AM   #17
randywolf244
resident arrogant

Let someone who owned some Behringer pedals speak. They sound pretty good... Their built from paper.... Seriously they don't sound completely terrible but I'm not very hard on my gear and they were falling apart within a week
randywolf244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 AM   #18
deadsmileyface
Banned

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Man this horse is dead.

"What you need is a new amp."

the dead horse tells no lies.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 06:49 AM   #19
innovine

Do not buy behringer pedals. They appeal to that little voice saying "but its cheap! and I can get a better thing later" etc. Don't give in to that. You will be paying money for something BAD. They are not good. They sound bad. Even when they are turned OFF they add hiss into your signal. Do not pay for that.

Save up and buy a real amp ffs. Start there. A decent amp will take you far. How are you supposed to know if your pedals are any good if you just play them into a piece of garbage? Get the amp FIRST, then try the pedal out with it. If you are known at your local guitar shop (and you should be), they'll often let you buy a pedal to bring home and test with your gear, and if you don't like it, accept a refund if the packaging isn't damaged. I borrow stuff like this all the time. This way you'll get to hear what the pedals are and make your own decision on if you like the sound or not. Right now you are trusting reviews, and going to plug them into something that'll never let you hear what they can do. Don't be stupid, save up and get a real amp first.
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:34 AM   #20
deadsmileyface
Banned

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovine
Do not buy behringer pedals. They appeal to that little voice saying "but its cheap! and I can get a better thing later" etc. Don't give in to that. You will be paying money for something BAD. They are not good. They sound bad. Even when they are turned OFF they add hiss into your signal. Do not pay for that.

Save up and buy a real amp ffs. Start there. A decent amp will take you far. How are you supposed to know if your pedals are any good if you just play them into a piece of garbage? Get the amp FIRST, then try the pedal out with it. If you are known at your local guitar shop (and you should be), they'll often let you buy a pedal to bring home and test with your gear, and if you don't like it, accept a refund if the packaging isn't damaged. I borrow stuff like this all the time. This way you'll get to hear what the pedals are and make your own decision on if you like the sound or not. Right now you are trusting reviews, and going to plug them into something that'll never let you hear what they can do. Don't be stupid, save up and get a real amp first.

+1
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: