Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-20-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Question why do roadies/techs go on stage so often these days while the band is playing?

i don't see or hear anything going wrong. yet you see some eyesore of a person going on stage acting like they are fixing a problem.
but are they really?
or are they just trying to get some attention?
happens more and more often these days, especially with metal cover bands. right when the band is in the middle of playing a song.

I've been wanting to vent this for a while now. seems like the right place to do so.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
CoreysMonster
Banned

Why do you even go to concerts if you apparently hate them so much? You hate singers that talk too much, roadies that dare to let themselves be seen too often, what's next? Saying how people using projected animation clips are ruining concert experiences for everyone?
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
i don't see or hear anything going wrong. yet you see some eyesore of a person going on stage acting like they are fixing a problem.
but are they really?

Yes.

You cynical asswipe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreysMonster
Why do you even go to concerts if you apparently hate them so much? You hate singers that talk too much, roadies that dare to let themselves be seen too often, what's next? Saying how people using projected animation clips are ruining concert experiences for everyone?

dang, you really must hate projected animation clips. now you've gone too far, sir or ma'am.

to answer your first question. i go to help make concerts better. being overly passive never did any good.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #5
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Yes.

You cynical asswipe you.

you agree yet you don't believe in venting or complaining? which is it?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
dog_style
UG Senior Member

maybe two roadies/tech people replied to this so far.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I have never seen this personally, but you seem to make a sweeping generalization about roadies and techs in general. They're the ones making sure you get the music you came to see, and they're making it sound good.

They are far too misrepresented by people like you looking to give them a bad name, as they do the grunt work, I'm not one for complaining about arbitrary moments when they pop on stage for two seconds, most of them are fairly close with the bands they are working for anyways. If this is your problem with shows, it doesn't sound like you're listening to the music.

I'm not a tech or a roadie, but I can empathize considering their job is integral to the show.
Your gratitude shown in my death

She's dead...wrapped in plastic

Last edited by severed-metal : 05-21-2013 at 10:09 PM.
severed-metal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 AM   #8
Braykah
Registered Badass

Quote:
i don't see or hear anything going wrong

Now there's your problem. Just because you can't see it from the floor, doesn't mean that there are no equipment- and stage-related issues that need to be fixed by roadies and technicians. It's their job, they put all their effort into making the show enjoyable for you and don't exactly have time for showing up on stage to "get attention", and I've never met any attendant of a gig who's complained about this. Try paying attention to the band and the music next time rather than getting so easily annoyed by things as small as this.
Braykah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #9
Ultraussie
I have a user title now!

I suppose you get annoyed when people jump up to stage dive as well.
If I was a roadie I would like to watch the show side of stage, why not
And sorry
Metal cover bands?
Never seen or heard of one before (maybye more hard-rock orientaed?)

Last edited by Ultraussie : 05-22-2013 at 05:47 AM.
Ultraussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Quote:
maybe two roadies/tech people replied to this so far.

a) what are you talking about? by that I mean everything you said so far (and probably further on)

b) appreciate the people who put in the work to make the show sound good and to maintain the equipment in proper working order.

or shut up and go watch some Justin Bieber shows. They don't have techs on stage often; or any music of value, either.
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
you agree yet you don't believe in venting or complaining? which is it?

Yes, they are really fixing things and you're being overtly cynical and whiny if you think they're there to get attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #12
destroy_techno
Doesn't like breakadowns

You don't hear something wrong doesn't mean there isn't anything wrong. Generally, fixing things before they become a big issue is better than letting everyone hear the problem first.
I've played many gigs where the tech would generally keep off stage and do nothing, and I would personally much rather have them waltz on and off the stage constantly if it means they do their jobs.
Above all
And nail me
To forever
destroy_techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #13
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands

Do a couple of gigs teching and see if you ever feel like complaining about sound staff again. It's a shite, thankless job where the majority of the time your presence and input will only be acknowledged if it's by someone complaining.
eazy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:21 PM   #14
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
I have never seen this personally, but you seem to make a sweeping generalization about roadies and techs in general. They're the ones making sure you get the music you came to see, and they're making it sound good.

They are far too misrepresented by people like you looking to give them a bad name, as they do the grunt work, I'm not one for complaining about arbitrary moments when they pop on stage for two seconds, most of them are fairly close with the bands they are working for anyways. If this is your problem with shows, it doesn't sound like you're listening to the music.

I'm not a tech or a roadie, but I can empathize considering their job is integral to the show.

but i never said most, so i disagree about the generalization part.

i know why they are there, and they are needed. but i don't see why they have to go on stage after the show starts, what they are doing should have been taken care of before hand. maybe a mishap might happen but with a pro band with pro gear it can't be that often.
often you see them off to the side on stage and more visible than they need to be. it's the bands moment, then shouldn't distract from that to me, and stay where they chose to be. behind the scene.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braykah
Now there's your problem. Just because you can't see it from the floor, doesn't mean that there are no equipment- and stage-related issues that need to be fixed by roadies and technicians. It's their job, they put all their effort into making the show enjoyable for you and don't exactly have time for showing up on stage to "get attention", and I've never met any attendant of a gig who's complained about this. Try paying attention to the band and the music next time rather than getting so easily annoyed by things as small as this.

maybe something is happening i don't see, but i think it's more important on what i hear.
i find it hard to believe that big time bands with pro gear would have that many problems though, even if it does happen on occasion. seems more often these days. i especially notice it with metal bands. i can see it maybe with punk bands because they seem to be more aggressive with their equipment.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:30 PM   #16
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultraussie
I suppose you get annoyed when people jump up to stage dive as well.
If I was a roadie I would like to watch the show side of stage, why not
And sorry
Metal cover bands?
Never seen or heard of one before (maybye more hard-rock orientaed?)

you never seen or heard of a metal cover band? not even on the internet? interesting.
there's tons of them worldwide.
if they want to watch the show from the side then cool. but they don't have to stick them self out there for the sake of being seen.
stage diving is okay because the show is about the band and audience. if the band wants the audience to participate then cool.
you don't see the tour manager going on stage to have the band sign contracts.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #17
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emenius Sleepus
a) what are you talking about? by that I mean everything you said so far (and probably further on)

b) appreciate the people who put in the work to make the show sound good and to maintain the equipment in proper working order.

or shut up and go watch some Justin Bieber shows. They don't have techs on stage often; or any music of value, either.

another metal fan promoting Justin. i never knew who he was until people like you kept talking about him.
i appreciate only what they are there to do. not getting on stage to be seen. i don't know how a Justin concert goes, please don't tell me about it though. thanks
Old 05-24-2013, 01:35 PM   #18
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChemicalFire
Yes, they are really fixing things and you're being overtly cynical and whiny if you think they're there to get attention.

because people never want to get attention these days . i can understand them wanting attention, but there is a time and place.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Helloween4Ever
Keeper of the Seven Keys

I'm totally sure they go up there just so people can look at them, they probably even do a little dance up there too. They can't be working hard to get the sound right, can they? No, why would they do their job.

The nerve of some people.

Also, I'm not sure what shows you go to, because ALL of the shows I have seen the techs are in and out in a matter of seconds if they even go on the stage to tweak anything. Quit looking for something to complain about and enjoy the show.
Old 05-25-2013, 04:00 PM   #20
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helloween4Ever
I'm totally sure they go up there just so people can look at them, they probably even do a little dance up there too. They can't be working hard to get the sound right, can they? No, why would they do their job.

The nerve of some people.

Also, I'm not sure what shows you go to, because ALL of the shows I have seen the techs are in and out in a matter of seconds if they even go on the stage to tweak anything. Quit looking for something to complain about and enjoy the show.

a musician telling another musician stop looking for things to complain about. hmmm
that's odd to me, half the songwriters out there complain in their songs (part of their inspiration?), and how many musicians do you see who complain on stage about things? maybe you never complain or never speak up for yourself or others? just smile and go along? i don't know if people should silence them self, it's like self censorship.
plus i only have two complaint threads.

only going on the stage for a moment is enough to interrupt the song, and they don't just do it once.
lets not act like people these days don't have ego things going on and need attention, even if they ignore etiquette.

Rate This Thread: