Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #1
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Choice of two LP's

My annual new guitar purchase is about to happen and Ive narrowed it down to two Les Pauls, the Epiphone Les Paul Ultra 3 or the Gibson Les Paul Studio. Both are roughly the same price where I live, the Gibson is about $300 more but still within budget. The dilemma that I have is that the Gibson is, well, a Gibson and Ive wanted one for quite some time, however the Epiphone has more features than I would know what to do with, and sounds really good in the demo videos that Ive seen on youtube.
So, which one do you guys think I should go for? The Gibson because its a Gibson, or the Epi because its got more fruit on it?

(please don't suggest other options, unless theyre other Les Pauls that Ive possibly overlooked. Not interested in 'LP' shaped guitars either so no ESP's or Ltd's etc. The guitar I choose will be brand new and bought in Australia for under $1300. )
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
dazza027 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz

In my family, we have what we call The Lesson of the Bose Speakers.

Back in the mid 1970s, my dad was putting together his dream stereo system. He got everything he wanted, but couldn't decide between the pricey Bose 901s he loved and the less expensive Marantz. He ultimately bought the Marantz.

...and 3 years later, bought some 901s.

Lesson: Buy what you love IF you can afford it. It will probably keep you from spending more because you bought something cheaper and remained unsatisfied.

Besides, though I respect Epiphones and might even buy one, odds are good that the comparably priced Gibson will be the objectively better guitar, just based on actual woods, hardware & pickups used. Its not a guarantee- Gibson has taken some hits to their reputation due to some lingering questions about their quality control, and there are pros who get good milage out of their Epis- but the odds are still in Gibson's favor.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-21-2013 at 05:14 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:13 AM   #3
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Can I just ask? Why do you want a 3rd LP?

You should get the one that sounds and feels better to you, forget brand names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz

Quote:

Why not? I know guys who have 7 Strats, or 4 Gibson Vs, etc. (Not me.) People like what they like.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Get the Gibson Studio. It will make you forget you ever owned the Epiphones you already have.

Look at it this way, you said you've wanted a Gibson for some time. Buying another Epiphone will not stop you wanting a Gibson. Buying a 3rd Epiphone will simply mean you will still want a Gibson and one day you'll buy one. Sometime after that day, you'll realise you have 3 Epiphones sat around gathering dust because you never play them anymore. Get the Gibson now, and you'll only have 2 Epiphones sitting around doing nothing.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:56 AM   #6
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt

I like the upper fret access...

Nah to be honest its the guitar I like, Ive gone through most shapes and the LP's just fit me best I guess. Neither of the ones I have now sound even similar, ones modded (bone nut, Ibanez super 70 pickups etc) a bit and the other is bog stock.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 05-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #7
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Sounds like you know what you want in a guitar, which isn't a frequent occurance with these threads.

I agree with Danny.

Go for the Bose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 05-21-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Bose it is, Cheers Gentlemen.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 05-21-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
Washu-chan

Was faced with a very similar dilemma just yesterday. Went in to GC looking for a Gibson LPJ, after doing an AB comparison of the LPJ and a silver burst Studio with coil tapping I went with the Studio. The LPJ was about half the cost of the studio but I knew in three months I'd be back for the studio. So it was Bose for me! The LPJ was a fine guitar for what it was but it wasn't what I really wanted.
Washu-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
TheGuitarGuyBr

One thing that I've learned is that everything's subjective when talking about guitars. You have to find what's good for you, and that may not be the same for others. Som play them both, don't mind brand names, just see wich one's more comfortable, see wich one sounds more like what you're expecting. Check the wood, the overall finish, and buy what pleases you more. And of course, tell us what you've bought after you've done it
TheGuitarGuyBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:58 AM   #11
gregs1020
Hi mom!

why only new?

aussies have access to as good a used market as most of us in the US and they don't even know it.

consider a nice used LP from japan. edwards, tokai, greco, burny, fgn, bacchus, orville by gibson, etc.

all of them make/made great LP guitars with the correct open book headstock.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Have already pondered that question gregs and will really only go down that path again if I can find a traditional or a standard that's in budget and in good condition.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #13
dspellman

Buy the Gibson. That way you'll be able to say you've got one and you'll get that out of your system. Then you can go back to finding guitars that offer more bang for the buck.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:15 PM   #14
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Buy the Gibson. Buying the Epi won't stop you from wanting the Gibson but buying the Gibson will stop you from wanting the Epi.
Old 05-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

So as far as the Gibson goes, Im thinking maybe the gold top 60's tribute or if I can find one the 70's tribute with the humbuckers... I like the neck on my Classic but don't know what profile it is. I've had a go at a 70's tribute and felt comfortable with that neck too. My Custom has a fatter neck, not by very much and takes a little bit more effort to move around on but having said that is possibly easier to play. Any thoughts?
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
Old 05-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
David Stein
Banned

I hate to burst everyone's party bubble, but Bose speakers are crap. Pure, unadulterated crap. The Kilpsch Heritage line is what you want in a set of speakers. I used to think Bose 901s were the be all, end all until I heard a pair of Klipsch LaScalas back in college in the late 1970s.

I now own the very same pair of LaScalas I heard back in my college days that were hanging above a local bar for 25 years. Took me four days to strip the nicotine from them and get back down to the fine wood finish they're known for.

Also own a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and a set of Acoustic Research AR3a. No Bose speaker anywhere can match any one of those sets of speakers. Oh, and I drive them all with McIntosh amplifiers. No better combination anywhere.

I say go for the Klipsch! Get the Gibson Les Paul Studio, but don't buy it unless you can play it first.

Last edited by David Stein : 05-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.
David Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #17
dannyalcatraz

What + Ever = my ears differ from yours.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
David Stein
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
What + Ever = my ears differ from yours.
If you heard my pair of 1968 Acoustic Research AR3a speakers you'd like them. Back in the day they were used in studios as monitors as they reproduce sound like no other speaker. You hear it exactly like it was recorded. There's a pair of them in the Smithsonian Institute .

Quote:
The AR-3 was subsequently replaced by the AR-3a, with a new dome midrange and tweeter reduced in dimensions, for even better mid and high frequency dispersion. On September 13, 1993 an AR-3 was placed on permanent display in the Information Age Exhibit of National Museum of American History at The Smithsonian Institution in Washington, DC.
Bose = marketing hype.

Last edited by David Stein : 05-25-2013 at 02:02 AM.
David Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #19
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
There's a pair of them in the Smithsonian Institute .

Yay, them!

Other than the fact that they were donated by the writer Tom Tyson, I cannot find any actual information as to why they are on exhibit. And "why" matters.

Movado has a watch on permanent display at the Museum of Modern art. The only thing on its face besides 2 hands is a gold dot at the 12 o' clock position. Its great art- and I wish I had one- but for telling time with any precision? Useless. It is a triumph of design over function.

And it is for its design aesthetics that it is ensconced in the museum's permanent collection, not its equally demonstrable quality engineering.
Quote:
Bose = marketing hype.

Having actually heard the difference between the Bose and other speakers- including hearing things on my father's system that were not audible when those same pieces were played on the systems of others*- I'll disagree with that.

Even Assuming, arguendo, that they are superior speakers, that is insufficient to say that Bose suck or their successes are the result of marketing hype. Just because a Honda isn't a Ferrarri (picking 2 at random) does not mean that the Honda isn't a quality vehicle.

* even did some A/B comparison with music I know quite intimately

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-25-2013 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #20
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Stein
I hate to burst everyone's party bubble, but Bose speakers are crap. Pure, unadulterated crap. The Kilpsch Heritage line is what you want in a set of speakers. I used to think Bose 901s were the be all, end all until I heard a pair of Klipsch LaScalas back in college in the late 1970s.

I now own the very same pair of LaScalas I heard back in my college days that were hanging above a local bar for 25 years. Took me four days to strip the nicotine from them and get back down to the fine wood finish they're known for.

Also own a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls and a set of Acoustic Research AR3a. No Bose speaker anywhere can match any one of those sets of speakers. Oh, and I drive them all with McIntosh amplifiers. No better combination anywhere.

I say go for the Klipsch! Get the Gibson Les Paul Studio, but don't buy it unless you can play it first.

Someone missed the point, hmm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: