Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-25-2013, 03:22 AM   #21
dannyalcatraz

Oh, I think he got it, he just wants to crap around by interjecting his preferred speaker brand. Like it was a "Whose tallywhacker is bigger?" contest as opposed to just a RW anecdote and the lesson learned therefrom.

Taking it further, one could assert that, even if Klipsch is demonstrably better than Bose on certain perameters, we could just as easily find a brand of guitar that is demonstrably better on several perameters than Gibson. Like QC. Or playing by the same rules as other guitar makers vis a vis the importation and use of rare materials. Etc.

So even if he wishes to toot his favorite tweeters & woofers, his alteration of analogy may be undermined by Gibson possibly not being the pinnacle of guitar production.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 05-25-2013 at 03:24 AM.
dannyalcatraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:11 AM   #22
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

The quality of the speaker is irrelevant.

It's just a metaphor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #23
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

****en thread Hijackers... Ok, so, plain studio, 60's tribute or 70's tribute... Ive had a go at the 70's and like it. Ive also had play of the BFG for what that matters and considered it to be a heap of shit. Don't care about your speakers, mine are shitty old Sony's....
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Squire 20th Anniversary Strat
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
dazza027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #24
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Keep trying them until you find the one you fall in love with - you'll know it when you find it.

I tried loads, Standards, Customs, etc. before eventually finding my Worn Brown Studio and bonding with it the instant I played it in the shop. To think I almost didn't even bother trying it because it was a 1/4 of the cost of some of the others....
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 09:46 AM   #25
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

In that case, I have my one true love in my epi classic birds eye trans amber...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 05-25-2013, 10:45 AM   #26
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If that's what you conclude after shopping around & playing loads of Gibsons (and as many other makes as you can find), then at least you'll know the answer.

And if you truly feel that way about it, don't waste your money buying another guitar that will be left on the shelf whilst you stick with what you already had.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:29 AM   #27
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazza027
In that case, I have my one true love in my epi classic birds eye trans amber...

but it doesn't say gibson on the headstock. in all seriousness, will that bother you over time?

people are very brand conscience, and they have every right to be. i am as well with some things.

if you are happy with the epi then great, but it seems like you really want a gibson.

good luck either way.
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #28
David Stein
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
but it doesn't say gibson on the headstock. in all seriousness, will that bother you over time?

people are very brand conscience, and they have every right to be. i am as well with some things.

if you are happy with the epi then great, but it seems like you really want a gibson.

good luck either way.
I own high end Gibsons, an American Strat, and one Epiphone 339 Pro. The Epi 339 Pro is probably my favorite of all of them. Would be tied with my new 2013 Firebird V if the Firebird didn't have QA issues. The Epi fit, finish, and playability are absolutely perfect and that in consideration of the fact that I will never buy another Chinese instrument of any kind.

Just can't believe that the Chinese can produce an instrument that is as fine as the 339 Pro I have for U.S. MSRP of $399. I only paid $349 for mine with holiday discounts between Thanksgiving and Christmas of last year.

As I've aged, brands do mean less to me, but they are important as concerns new instruments and their future resale value. Doubtful my Chinese Epi will fetch vintage prices of today's vintage instruments forty years from now.

Get the guitar that you like best, looks best to you, and plays the best of them all regardless of brand if future resale value isn't a consideration.
David Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 PM   #29
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Get the Bose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #30
Ippon
Amped

If you encounter the discontinued Gibson Studio Premium Plus, make sure to check them out. I've seen Used ones in minty (like new) condition that are very nicely-priced. Very beautiful and very nice feel.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:33 AM   #31
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Ok, so Ive been looking on the Musicians friend website and have seen a Gibson studio deluxe 2 for between 895 and 1100 before shipping which would add $200 I guess. They have the 490R in the neck and a burstbucker in the bridge position, are coil splitable and have a 10db boost function when you really need the brootz. Anyone got one or played one and what did you think?
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 05-30-2013, 09:57 AM   #32
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Don't buy from GC buy from a real Vendor like Sweetwater, HOG, etc.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 AM   #33
gregs1020
Hi mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenG
Don't buy from GC buy from a real Vendor like Sweetwater, HOG, etc.

i think the matter is that he wants it shipped to australia.

but i didn't think they (GC/MF/SA) could do that on new gear, i thought they could only ship used out of north america.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:04 AM   #34
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

It is used...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 06-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #35
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

Ok, so unbelieveably, a local store has dropped their Gibson pricing to sane levels in an effort to fight off the internet. So now that they offer internet based prices and are starting to shift some stock, Ive been in a few times to have a look. Ive kind of got my eye on a LP 60's tribute goldtop with the P90's. Anyone got one? What are the P90's like? Hopefully making the purchase later this week...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 06-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #36
gregs1020
Hi mom!

i had one of the 60's tributes, a goldtop p-90 guitar.

when i bought it i compared it to a few others. one had a 4 piece back, another a 3, and the last one was a 2 piece back. i grabbed the two piece back.

the stock pick ups were a lot better than i expected, quite good actually. generally i'm not a big fan of most gibson pick ups but those would be nice enough not to bother changing imo.

check it over good, mine had paint on the sides, which shouldn't have been there. didn't bother me at the time, but someone else would have seen it as a flaw, qc issue, etc.

here they go for $650 new now that they've price dropped. not sure if that matters since you aren't here.

bang for the buck, a great guitar at the price imo. but get a hardshell les paul case for it, not a generic "fits everything" type case. (those usually don't fit an angled headstock or the lp body correctly) on the cheap the epi LP case is decent.
Old 06-30-2013, 09:45 PM   #37
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

That's a good price... they actually make a big deal of selling a USA made Melody Maker for less than a grand over here... Its ALMOST worth getting one shipped from the states and still saving 300 bucks to fix any problems with it locally, even taking shipping into consideration...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 07-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #38
KenG
"Experienced" not "Old"

Our local Guitar works was selling Melody Makers last Xmas for $599. After seeing them I wouldn't pay more than $200-250 if you could even convince me to buy one. The juniors however were much more guitar IMO.
When I bought my 1st Epiphone it was the Elitist 57 Gold Top made in 2004. I asked to have one shipped in based on a review in Guitar Player. The other EPI they reviewed in the same article was the original Ultra. It did not score well compared to the Elitist and I was very happy with my 57 for 6 years till I stepped up to a genuine Gibson LP.
I'm sure they've made improvements over the years but the Ultra is gimmicky to me & over-priced. Epiphone has some other models that spec-wise appear better for much less. The tribute for one with real Gibson 57s in it, hardshell case and switchcraft toggle with good pots/caps and good tuners and is something along $599 new.

Last edited by KenG : 07-01-2013 at 12:16 AM.
KenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:38 AM   #39
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

It looks like I may have done a deal to swap my Epi Custom and $500AU for a 1 year old Gibson LP Studio 60's tribute in honeyburst with the P90's.
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon
Old 07-19-2013, 09:39 PM   #40
dazza027
Serial Pain in the Arse

For anyone who gives two toots, Ive ordered a Gibson LP Studio 60's Tribute with the gold top and dark back and Burstbuckers. The company (and the importer for that matter) is waiting on a shipment from the US and it should be here in 3 to 5 weeks depending on customs etc. Its costing me $66 a month for 36 months which is a bit steep but its 'leased' until the end of the contract and is 100% covered against damage, workmanship etc as well as the Gibson warranty so if it does anything I can just swap it for a new one and rock on. The one I mentioned above kind of fell through, the money didn't materialise but the guy said he's not going anywhere soon and is happy to do the deal at a latter date so I'm happy with that. Could well end up with two LP studios, both 60's tributes but one with hot humbuckers and the other with P90's. Lucky I love LP's hey...
Ibanez Artcore AS73 TBS
Fender Princeton Chorus
Digitech RP255 multi fx
DSL100H coming soon

Rate This Thread: