Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
Caaarrl94

Why do I still have fret buzz?

Okay so I got my first decent guitar late last year, and changed the st rings for the first time earlier today to some D'addario 10-46, the problem is, i had so much fretbuzz it was unbearable, then I realised fenders are sold with 9's.

So I was thinking, thicker strings + guitar not set up for them = fretbuzz

So I went straight back out, and bought some 9-42's since thats what i'm used to, any it appears thats what my guitar is set up for

So I restrung the guitar with the 9's, tuned up, stretched/worn the strings in abit, and it's still buzzing slightly more than it was with the standard set of 9's.

It buzzes around the first few frets on most strings, however the buzz continues right upto the 8/9th fret on the E and A strings

Why could this be?

What should I do?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

If this is the first time you changed strings on an electric guitar, maybe it seems to you there is fretbuzz because you're not familiar with the sound of new strings. They have to sound brighter than the old ones which probabaly sounded dull.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Caaarrl94

They do sound alot brighter, but i'm almost sure theres alot more buzz too
Old 05-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
JackovSlayer
Registered Abuser

Play the guitar for a few days and see if it's going to sound better. I know I had the same problem after restringing my guitar for the first time. Luckily, my older brother was there to tell me everything was alright.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

You can raise the saddles on the bridge but that won't help much on frets near the nut. If I have buzz on the frets closer to the nut I will give the neck some relief by loosening the truss rod. If you already have a lot of relief then about the only thing left is raising the slots in the nut or replacing the nut. The other possibility is that the frets need leveling.

Ive never tried it but I've heard you can mix baby power and super glue as a nut slot filler and then file it down with a nut file to the desired height.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Caaarrl94

Thanks for the reply fly135, Does that mean I have to take the strings off the guitar again and put a new set on?
How exactly does the truss rod work? Would turning it clockwise tighten it? and would that raise the action or lower it?
Old 05-22-2013, 07:09 PM   #7
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caaarrl94
Thanks for the reply fly135, Does that mean I have to take the strings off the guitar again and put a new set on?
How exactly does the truss rod work? Would turning it clockwise tighten it? and would that raise the action or lower it?

There are lots of videos showing how to do these things on youtube.
You might want to take it to a tech if you are unsure of what to do.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
ibanez_guru
UG Fanatic

never make large adjustments with the truss rod. Do a 1/4 to a 1/2 turn at a time and check the neck. You dont want to damage the neck beyond repair

Thats not a dig either, its a serious question!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
well i did sit 5th row for the who in '82.

ears are still ringing a bit.
ibanez_guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #9
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Turning it clockwise will tighten the neck and add relief. You do not need to take off the strings. Adding relief will raise the string height. You can lower the saddles to bring it down.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #10
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Wouldn't raising the action first be more prudent? He shouldn't have to make that kind of adjustment with different brands of strings or even going up a gauge.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Vox Original Wah-Wah Pedal V847-A
MXR '78 Custom Badass Distortion
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #11
The Neighbor of the Beast

The truss rod purpose isn't to adjust the string height - it's to counter the string pull.

If you are buzzing because of height, adjust the bridge/saddle and/or if you have a high fret, take it in and get your frets dressed.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
darkwolf291
Hookers and Blow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667
The truss rod purpose isn't to adjust the string height - it's to counter the string pull.

If you are buzzing because of height, adjust the bridge/saddle and/or if you have a high fret, take it in and get your frets dressed.

No, but too much relief can cause fretbuzz, because the neck bends too much and the string runs against the frets.

Usually around the 7-12thfrets

Pedalboard Thread Native: The Thrashaholic

Buy my Thrash Album for whatever price you want!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSimonR
It's modelling valve power amp output valves wearing out.

GG&A WTLT List
darkwolf291 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667

Exactly which is why i am questioning why the truss rod is mentioned gfirst.
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 05-23-2013, 05:50 PM   #14
Caaarrl94

I've been playing all today, pretty hard aswell and i've still got quite alot of buzz.

So what should I do first guys?

ps. Id really prefer not to have to take the strings back off
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Reincaster
Call me Rein.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
You can raise the saddles on the bridge but that won't help much on frets near the nut. If I have buzz on the frets closer to the nut I will give the neck some relief by loosening the truss rod. If you already have a lot of relief then about the only thing left is raising the slots in the nut or replacing the nut. The other possibility is that the frets need leveling.

Ive never tried it but I've heard you can mix baby power and super glue as a nut slot filler and then file it down with a nut file to the desired height.

Baking powder, not baby powder. Baking powder is an accelerant for the glue, very cool reaction indeed. I mix pigments to make color matched fillers.

I always adjust the saddles first, if the relief is within spec, using a feeler gauge. Check your relief first, before you mess with the truss rod.
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra

Last edited by Reincaster : 05-23-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Reincaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #16
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
I've been playing all today, pretty hard aswell and i've still got quite alot of buzz.

Have you tried raising the action?
Vox Valvetronix VT40
Vox AC4tv 1x10
Old 05-24-2013, 01:46 PM   #17
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincaster
Baking powder, not baby powder. Baking powder is an accelerant for the glue, very cool reaction indeed. I mix pigments to make color matched fillers.
Reincaster, Thanks for that. It was from memory, and now that you wrote that I remember it was baking powder. Or was it baking soda? LOL.

edit:

Last edited by fly135 : 05-24-2013 at 01:47 PM.
fly135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #18
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 667

Truss rod adjustments affect the string height. Technically you are correct that the truss rod is not to adjust string height. However incorrect relief (as well as unlevel frets) will affect how low you can get the string height without buzz. And that is what this thread is about.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
The Neighbor of the Beast

Quote:

If the buzz is only on the E and A, and up to the 8th fret, and your action is good everywhere else...

The nut could off (not cut or seated correctly)
The neck could be twisted
Your frets could be high
Your truss need tweeking.

Get this book and learn how to setup your guitar....
http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0679742751

Never trust factory or retail big box shop setups. I would take it to a shop with a good tech and have it professionally set up. Have them install a new graphite/Teflon nut and saddles. The setup should cost $50 - $75 and the nut and saddles prolly another $40. This will take care of all your setup problems including intonation.

Check for a twisted neck by resting the body on your foot and look down the fretboard - angling it so the frets seem really close together. All frets should be parallel. If you see some bunched up on a side somewhere, there is a twist. Flip it and check the other way.

High frets are dealt with by pros as it involves filing.

Google setting the truss. If you are confident the height is set correctly and you absolutely must make a truss adjustment, be aware of the specific string clearances along the fretboard that is needed to correctly set it. These clearances are observed by fretting specific locations along the fretboard. Never turn the truss rod more than 1/4 turn at a time (1/8 really) AND NEVER A FULL 360! If you end up doing a 360, you will most likely destroy the neck.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #20
BobDetroit
►Motor City ♪

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135
Turning it clockwise will tighten the neck and add relief. You do not need to take off the strings. Adding relief will raise the string height. You can lower the saddles to bring it down.
You have that wrong.. Turning the truss rod clockwise will indeed tightening the truss rod which results in a flatter neck so it removes relief..
BobDetroit is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: