Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #1
azledon

what if/ Opinion of a guitar

I am an old/new player. If I buy a better guitar will I be a better player.

This happened many years ago but i HAVE recently restarted and dont know anymore.

What is the general opinion of gibson songwriter deluxe?
azledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
tuxs

The only thing that will make you a better player is, Time and Practise. However, given that a better guitar well "setup" will make practise more enjoyable and easier on the pinky's. You are going to spend a long time with this guitar in your arms, so chose like you would a wife.

And as for the Songwriter, I have had one for a few years now. I use Elixir light 10s strings on it.
It came with 12s from the factory but was to boomy for me. It is mostly played through an amp.
If it got stolen would I replace it? No. I'm a sworn Taki man now. Cheers
tuxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #3
stepchildusmc

i bought some really expensive ones when i first started back up again almost 2 years ago. i think they tend to make me work harder to live up to them. if i grab a sub -$500 one, i bang away at it without much direction. if i grab a Taylor, i work on more serious things that require more concentration.
but that's just me.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #4
Steve BP
Sonic Abuser

On a nice guitar, it is easier to produce pleasing tones than on an inferior guitar. You'll sound better, even if you are not more technically proficient. When I purchased a nicer acoustic after playing a beater, I was also pleased to find that some techniques were easier to play on the better-quality acoustic.

If you are going to put in the time practicing, you might as well get an instrument that sounds good to listen to.
Steve BP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by azledon
I am an old/new player. If I buy a better guitar will I be a better player.
A good work ethic will make you a better player, and sometimes not even then.

This question makes me doubt your sincerity. It could be read as, "will a better guitar do the work for me"? And that answer is an emphatic no. A better guitar will make bad playing more tonally pleasing, that's about it.

Quote:
What is the general opinion of gibson songwriter deluxe?
You should be able to buy a guitar that will make you quite happy for about a quarter of that. And at four times the price the Gibson won't sound four times better.

That said, it's your money, your life, your ears, and your decision, do what you must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve BP
...[ ].... When I purchased a nicer acoustic after playing a beater, I was also pleased to find that some techniques were easier to play on the better-quality acoustic.
A "beater", may have issues such as uneven fretwork , improper neck angle, high action, and more.

But a properly set up mid line instrument will easily give a high end piece a good run for its money with respect to playability.

It will also give a high end instrument a run for its money sonically as well, certainly on a "bang for the buck" comparison.

While I'm aware there are players that sit around working on descriptions and superlatives to heap on the most expensive and heavily ornamented examples, playing environment, a touch of reverb, and a fresh set of strings can make quite a difference.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 05-31-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 AM   #6
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

i find i play better on a guitar with a voice that sounds great to me, a comfortable neck and body size/shape, and a comfy scale length. the songwriter deluxe is a nice guitar, and i played a custom version (koa b&s) that almost came home with me.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 PM   #7
azledon

Thanks everyone for the insight.

DW
Old 05-31-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
azledon

I do have a good work ethic and practice daily, at least 1 hr. I am discouraged at times but then something pops and all is well. I do know that knowledge is gain through experience not inately.

DW
Old 06-01-2013, 01:22 AM   #9
ccannon1
Band Geek

Quote:
If I buy a better guitar will I be a better player.

Sorry, that statement is absurd. The guitar will just sound and feel better. But I know that feeling haha. The songwriter is definitely a great guitar, my first teacher had one and it sounded fantastic.

Rate This Thread: