Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
ashestodanno

Epiphone Les Paul Special playable?

A few months ago, I lost my job, and to help out, I made the hard but responsible choice of selling my one and only guitar so that we couuld live.

Now we're okay, and we've earned some extra money that we'll be getting this weekend.

Guitar center has this guitar on sale. Its a cheap epiphone and its on sale for only $89.

Its the only guitar i can afford right now, but its been so long, I gotta have something.

So my question is, is this guitar even playable enough to be worth it? Or is our money better used elsewhere?

EDIT: To clarify, this is the non gloss Epiphone Les Paul with two P-90s. Comes in black or red and I THINK TV yellow.

Last edited by ashestodanno : 05-23-2013 at 03:08 AM.
ashestodanno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Depends how you want to look at it. It's cheap, not great, but still better than nothing.

However, if you think waiting a couple of months will allow you to save up and get something decent, that may be the better answer in the long run.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:28 AM   #3
samuraigoomba

I'm pretty sure it's not the only guitar you can afford. Even in that price range, a Schecter Omen 6 might be put together a bit better.

Playable? Maybe, depending on if it was set up and if you got a good one. Nobody wants to buy crappy guitars, so if you buy one, you'll have a devil of a time selling it later.
samuraigoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 AM   #4
Bassface7

I had a Special II for years which was a great guitar all things considered.
Bassface7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
ashestodanno

I know its gotta be better than nothing. I just wanna be sure that its not going to be a purchase I'll regret because the thing falls apart or goes out of tune like crazy or something.
Old 05-23-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashestodanno
Now we're okay, and we've earned some extra money that we'll be getting this weekend.

Guitar center has this guitar on sale. Its a cheap epiphone and its on sale for only $89.

So my question is, is this guitar even playable enough to be worth it? Or is our money better used elsewhere?

These things are ALWAYS sale items at Guitar Denter. There will probably be at least ten holiday "sales" that will have those guitars at that price (or lower) over the next 8-10 months. It's not a great guitar and it's not a great guitar for the money.

IMHO, pack that money away, bite the bullet and wait.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuraigoomba
I'm pretty sure it's not the only guitar you can afford. Even in that price range, a Schecter Omen 6 might be put together a bit better.

Last time I looked, a Schecter Omen 6 was selling for nearly four times his budget.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #8
ashestodanno

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspellman
Last time I looked, a Schecter Omen 6 was selling for nearly four times his budget.

Yeah I checked too. Way more than what I can afford right now
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
Razbo
Custom User Title

I had a humbucker version Special II. I kind of regret selling it. I say go for it. It will tide you over well.
Razbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
MarshallH

If you want a really cheap guitar get an ltd EC-50 it will last longer and sound better than the low end epis.
MarshallH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 AM   #11
ashestodanno

Its pretty nice but my max budget its gonna be like 100 dollars. I'd love to hold on to it and save for something better but things are about to buckle down, and the wife and I agreed that its now or never. My hope is there will be something slightly better on sale for not much more but I know that's not likely. Guess I'll have to wait and see once I go down there
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #12
T00DEEPBLUE
Ronald Weasley...

Get a Yamaha Pacifica used.

100 bucks is just not enough money to really buy a guitar.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #13
Darkdevil725
UG Freak

With that budget stay away from new. Buy used, go look at pawnshops. I got a GSZ120 for $40, thing is killer and is better than that epi by a lot. If you must have new look at rondomusic.com

My site for helping those with a low budget find good gear.
Best Budget Guitarist
Also my bad youtube channel.
Guess That Riff
Darkdevil725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #14
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Amps haven't been mentioned yet - Do you have one?

If not, and you only have $100 it could be worth getting an acoustic instead.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #15
ashestodanno

Yeah I still have all my gear, including amps, pedals, etc. All I don't have is an actual guitar. I'm gonna keep an eye out for something used in my budget for sure though
Old 05-24-2013, 12:43 PM   #16
J_W

It's definitely playable. I had one for years and it worked just fine. It's obviously not a great guitar by any means but it certainly works.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:56 PM   #17
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

I don't think people are paying attention to the important part.

This isn't a Special II we're talking about. That's a cheap plywood hunk of wank. This is a Special. Set neck, better hardware better electronics, much better wood, generally seem to be made a little tighter and better.

OP: that Special is a decent enough guitar, of course assuming you're okay with using P-90s and you don't care about carved tops, glossy finishes, etc. It likely won't be set up terribly well, but that goes for almost all guitars you buy off the shelf. The core build quality of the Special is fine. It's basically an LP Studio minus the carved top.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
J_W

The Special and Special II both say they are mahogany bodies. I can't see it being anything other than plywood for 80 dollars.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
oneblackened
Future Breed Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
I don't think people are paying attention to the important part.

This isn't a Special II we're talking about. That's a cheap plywood hunk of wank. This is a Special. Set neck, better hardware better electronics, much better wood, generally seem to be made a little tighter and better.

OP: that Special is a decent enough guitar, of course assuming you're okay with using P-90s and you don't care about carved tops, glossy finishes, etc. It likely won't be set up terribly well, but that goes for almost all guitars you buy off the shelf. The core build quality of the Special is fine. It's basically an LP Studio minus the carved top.

This.
LTD AW-7 (Dimarzio D-Activator 7s, Hipshot Bridge)
oneblackened is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #20
ashestodanno

Thanks for all the input guys. I was actually about to grab the Epiphone but my wife found a beautiful pearl white Greg Bennett mb-1. Its used but looks to be in almost new condition and it sounds great so I went with that and I love it.

Rate This Thread: