Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 AM   #1
mattmakaha

proper use of Jazz minor over my song--Matt Makaha

On this piece I wrote, I use jazz minor (which is the ascending form of melodic minor) over a non-resolving dominant 7th chord (which is a V7 chord that doesn't resolve to the I chord). More specifically, I use minor-major 7th arpeggios starting from the fifth of the dominant 7th chord. Listen for it at the instrument break/silence at the 2:06 mark. Here's the link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D1EPzW41Ic

It's an improvised solo, in fact it's a first take, so it's got some string noise and stuff, but I always like first takes because it's got the most energy.
Jazz minor is a very versatile scale that you can use in many ways, for example, you can also use it a 1/2 step above a resolving dominant 7th chord (which gives rise to the super locrian mode), and other ways too.

What you guyz thinkz?
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
mattmakaha

I also have a version/mix with a lead guitar solo at the end of the song instead of the soprano sax solo. I almost forgot I had it, but it sounds pretty good, like a beefed up fusion Satriani....
Here's an excerpt- it's just the guitar solo at the end:
http://www.broadjam.com/player/play...ile=5366_618283

Last edited by mattmakaha : 08-08-2013 at 05:56 AM.
mattmakaha is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: