Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 09:19 AM   #1
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Composition Challenge: ABA'

As per the thread title, compose a piece of music with an A section, a contrasting B section, and then a section which consists of a variation of the opening material. Post results in thread, preferably by the 23rd of June or thereabouts. Post in thread to sign up so I can order your names alphabetically.

Participants

Duaneclapdrix
jazz_rock_feel
Life Is Brutal
macashmack
Mathedes
Nietsche

Completed Entries

Life Is Brutal
Mathedes
Nietsche

Last edited by Nietsche : 06-23-2013 at 06:09 PM.
Nietsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

I will definitely, actually do this one.

I swear.

Seeing as it was my idea and it wouldbe pretty shitty of me not to participate

Soundcloud. Look at it. Or don't.
jazz_rock_feel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
Duaneclapdrix
Needs to wash his hair...

I'm in.

I don't know if I'll finish my rondo and use that, or write a new piece. ABA' is almost a rondo anyway. Just need a B or a C and an A" at the end.

Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/duaneclapdrix
Duaneclapdrix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #4
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

I'm in.

EDIT: Just an idea, would it be acceptable to reuse a section from Minuet/Trio compositions to rework if we wanted?

We're all alright!

Last edited by Mathedes : 05-23-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Mathedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:21 AM   #5
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Seeing as I already have the A and B sections done already, I'm definitely in this.
Old 05-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

With regards to redoing your Minuet and Trio piece you can do it if you want. It negates the benefit of having a completed new piece at the end of the challenge though. Personally I'm going to attempt a completely new piece for classical guitar.
Old 06-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Done writing, just need to record. Do we need to submit in alphabetical order?

We're all alright!
Old 06-04-2013, 02:17 PM   #8
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

No, just post in the thread and I'll link to your submission in the OP.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
macashmack
Maskcashmack

I'm in. I warn you, my computer is in the shop, I don't know when It'sgetting fixe, so I might not be able to start until the end of the week.
macashmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:46 PM   #10
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Since this thread is getting traction now I'll try to finish the piece in the next few days.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #11
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Got my piece all done.

Yay.

I wish I had kept in all my markers and stuff, but they kept getting ruined in the exports. Its in C minor with a B section in G Major. It uses a lot of progressions in the vein of;

i - II - V - VI - bII - V - i

Which is just a large extension of V, but I thought it was cool.

The B section uses some similar stuff and also uses augmented 6ths moving to V. Some slight voice leading errors with parallel fifths are in the bass, but those could easily be corrected by inverting a chord to first position.

Anyway, any criticism is appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mid Ternary Thingamajigger.mid (5.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: pdf Ternary Thingamajigger.pdf (29.4 KB, 45 views)

Last edited by Life Is Brutal : 06-13-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Life Is Brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:16 PM   #12
amonamarthmetal

Shouldn't this been in the T&C section?

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM   #13
Phazon
Human

What do I get if I win?
Phazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #14
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal

I don't know what that is, but I doubt it.

Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
Life Is Brutal
Master of Modulation

Quote:

Nah

Quote:
What do I get if I win?

Its a challenge, not a competition.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM   #16
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Quote:

We've had tons of these type of things in the past. Freepower even started a couple and he's a mod.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #17
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

I'm recording a pseudo-guitar quartet for my piece this weekend. Soprano/Alto on El. Guitar, Tenor/Bass on Bass Guitar. I'll see how it sounds compared to just a piano midi.

We're all alright!
Old 06-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #18
Mathedes
Dissonant Unison

Settled for midi.
Attached Files
File Type: mid bittersweetfarewellaba.mscz.mid (3.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: pdf bittersweetfarewellabapdf.pdf (39.8 KB, 31 views)

We're all alright!
Old 06-22-2013, 07:24 PM   #19
Nietsche
Registered Hoover

Just t comment on Mathedes submission, which I looked over a few days ago but forgot to post on, so forgive me if my memories a little foggy, but it seemed to me that the actual form was ABA'A. At first I was confused because I didn't see the varied A section but then I saw the part which has the same harmony from the A section but with a different melody. The problem to me was that overall it sounded like a regular ABA, the A' section didn't have much in terms of motivic similarity to the original A section so it sounded like an extension of the B section before the reprisal of the A section again, which is perhaps why you put the reprisal in in the first place, in order to restore some sense of balance. I think what would be good is if you could take the original melody you had for the A section and then have that same melodic countour as an outline for the second A section but embellish it.
Old 06-22-2013, 08:54 PM   #20
jazz_rock_feel
Micropolyphoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Life Is Brutal
Got my piece all done.

Yay.

I wish I had kept in all my markers and stuff, but they kept getting ruined in the exports. Its in C minor with a B section in G Major. It uses a lot of progressions in the vein of;

i - II - V - VI - bII - V - i

Which is just a large extension of V, but I thought it was cool.

The B section uses some similar stuff and also uses augmented 6ths moving to V. Some slight voice leading errors with parallel fifths are in the bass, but those could easily be corrected by inverting a chord to first position.

Anyway, any criticism is appreciated.

PRE-EDIT: Reading back, this is pretty critical. Don't get offended I wasn't trying to be mean, I swear.
Few things:
1) The melodies to me were very unconvincing. I wasn't really sure of the direction of them for the most part and the phrasing especially seemed a little off. I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to be hearing the phrases as they went by and I think the reason is...

2) Rhythm. The rhythmic profile of this piece is frankly pretty boring (I should know I struggled and continue to struggle with creating rhythmic interest in my music). It's exhausting to listen to what seems like straight eighth notes constantly, even for only a minute. The only time the eighth notes are really broken up is when you use a trochaic (long-short) rhythm that you accomplish with eighth-rest-eighth. The only problem is that rhythmic pattern just comes over and over again and it adds to my frustration of not going anywhere rhythmically.

I felt the B section would have been a great opportunity to switch up the rhythm, but really the only strong contrast I felt was in the key change, which to me wasn't enough to really grab my interest. I get what you were trying to do with a little rhythmic motive, but in a piece this short and condensed, hammering a small idea like that so hard is a tough sell for me. I like the concept of using a small rhythmic cell, but just not in this concentration.

3) I listened to it again and while what I've already typed is definitely valid and part of the problem (hence why I'm not erasing it) another issue with phrasing is that it feels very chunky. Each bar almost seems like it's own entity and the melody doesn't flow naturally in and out of each bar. I would say one of the only times this ISN'T the case would be measures 4-6 which flows really nicely.

4) Formally speaking, not bad. You technically have an ABA' here, but like I said earlier, I would love to hear a bit more variation and a bit more exploration away from the main idea in the B section. Also, the A' is pretty tame as far as A's go. So much so that if I were analyzing this I would probably just call it a straight ABA, even though I realize you changed up a couple of the elements, specifically early on in the melody. Although I was critical of it, you've built something very stable in the first A with a melody of limited range and melodic fragments mostly contained within one bar. It would be cool to hear you start ranging a bit more with larger runs and maybe faster rhythms, while still recalling some of that trochaic feeling from the first A.

5) Harmonically speaking it seemed fine to me. I didn't look with a microscope at your voiceleading or anything because a) I can't think of anything more dreadful than critiquing tonal voice leading and b) that's not really what the challenge is about to me. There were some dissonances that were perhaps a bit jarring, but overall I think the harmonies made sense. The one thing I'll say is that I wasn't particularly convinced by your modulation into the major key. It could have definitely used more preparation before just dropping us into the new key area.

That's probably a bit hyper-critical for the purposes of this challenge, but whatever you can deal with it. Don't think I hated it, because I didn't, I actually thought the harmonic framework you had had a lot of interest and the accompanying figures were pretty strong. I just think there could be more there melodically and rhythmically that would take the piece to a different level.

Hug it out

I'll talk about Mathedas' later, haven't listened to it yet.

As for mine, I've got a good start on it and I'll definitely get it done at some point, just not sure when.

Last edited by jazz_rock_feel : 06-22-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Rate This Thread: