Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #1
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Short grind song I wrote while relatively stoned (GP5/GP4/MIDI)

Pretty much what the title says, C4C. Pointless, but still.
EDIT: Check out the updated version.
EDIT2: New updated version v.3 available!
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 twinkleballs2.gp4 (15.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: mid twinkleballs2.mid (17.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: gp5 twinkleballs.v2.gp5 (50.3 KB, 90 views)
File Type: gp4 twinkleballs.v2.gp4 (30.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: zip twinkleballs.v3.zip (8.8 KB, 56 views)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.

Last edited by Ometh : 05-28-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #2
amonamarthmetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
I think the blast beat would sound better with the snare on the down beat. To me they sound off time when the snare is on the up beat.
__________________
My name is Joe. call me Joe.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 AM   #3
EqualOfHeaven
The Great Sage
 
EqualOfHeaven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gypsy Witchester
Grind is as grind does, done all you needed to do. I'm not going to lie to you and say it blew my balls off because it didn't, but I wouldn't expect to do that any time soon, I'm a fussy bastard. Keep playing, jam with other dudes, keep releasing shit like this, eventually pure experience will inform you and maybe one day, you will indeed be able to blow my balls off.
EqualOfHeaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #4
Phazon
Human
 
Phazon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Little blue planet
LOLOLOLOLOLOL

First riff is catchy funny as shit. Then it's all ASLKFJASLKdjasklfjuiaejfk lol.

Ilike it.
Phazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EqualOfHeaven
Grind is as grind does, done all you needed to do. I'm not going to lie to you and say it blew my balls off because it didn't, but I wouldn't expect to do that any time soon, I'm a fussy bastard. Keep playing, jam with other dudes, keep releasing shit like this, eventually pure experience will inform you and maybe one day, you will indeed be able to blow my balls off.

I've been writing deathgrind for quite a bit now, so let me know if any of these do the trick
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...archid=11658629
EDIT: Updated version in the first post and this one. This one is longer and I made the break kewler with some guitar effects and such.
EDIT2: Updated version (v.3) available on the first post.
Attached Files
File Type: zip twinkleballsober.zip (8.8 KB, 23 views)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.

Last edited by Ometh : 06-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Check out the first or last post plz.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #7
nikolazjalic
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
It was alright, nothing too special although there were some really cool parts in there. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who listens to no grindcore whatsoever. First thing I noticed was the drums sounded very static, they played blast beats for 95% of the song but as far as I know that's standard for grind. Nothing really caught my attention until bar 25 where you go into the variation of the triplet riff. It served as a nice transition into the next part which was basically the first two riffs with some chords thrown over top. The chords keep it interesting enough until bar 57 where they become the main focus. Man, I loved this part. A short 2 bar break from all instruments before playing that heavy as **** slam part. Out of the whole song, that definitely stuck out to me the most.
nikolazjalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
Simon Blackwing
Registered User
 
Simon Blackwing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bergamo, Italy
Sounds cool, It reminds me of a finnish death/grind band called Vacant Coffin

I love those final parts with the dissonant chords, overall the song is solid, but, you know, you have to hear it with vocals, vocals and sound in grind are very important
__________________
R.I.P.
Chuck Schuldiner 1967-2001
Ronnie James Padavona 1942-2010
Darrell Lance Abbott 1966-2004
Jon Nödtveidt 1975-2006
Per Yngve Ohlin 1969-1991
Øystein Aarseth 1968-1993
Joe Ptaceck 1973-2010
Ace Börje Thomas Forsberg 1966-2004
Simon Blackwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Blackwing
Sounds cool, It reminds me of a finnish death/grind band called Vacant Coffin

I love those final parts with the dissonant chords, overall the song is solid, but, you know, you have to hear it with vocals, vocals and sound in grind are very important

Holy shit Vacan Coffin sounds great! Thanks for the rec.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #10
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
No offense, but the whole beginning of the song sounds pretty... bad.

It gets really cool and interesting starting with bar 57, but quickly gets old by bar 66. If you stopped it at bar 65 and then kept the part from the last four bars in there it would be more effective and a bit less annoying.

Overall not terrible, but definitely decent. I can see where the early part of the song goes, and why it's like that, but the note choice has too much range. The riff needs tied together.
__________________
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
Overall not terrible, but definitely decent. I can see where the early part of the song goes, and why it's like that, but the note choice has too much range. The riff needs tied together.

I can't make much sense of this, care to expand?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
The notes vary too widely for their own good. Lower the highs and keep the lows and you'll tie the riff together.
__________________
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I still don't quite get what you mean, check the example plz. If that's the case I don't really like that edit tbh, I prefer the way it was: I spend way too much time chugging the low strings on my other songs anyway lol.

You didn't really explain how the beginning was terrible besides the whole range aspect which, as I already mentioned, I don't quite get.
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 lolwut.gp5 (3.5 KB, 20 views)
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:44 PM   #14
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Well, I'd tell you that you don't understand but you already admitted that you do understand, as you recreated riff is only a digital husk of a properly toned riff. You see, when you play the actual riff itself, it is sounding just right to you. However, between the weight of your strings, the height of your frets, and the gauge of your strings in such a tuning / not only the pressure of your fingers on the fretboard, but the distortion of your amp; the riff that you are mentioning is simply completely irrelevantly scaled as such.

If you take the riff that you wrote on your guitar (assuming you're not an upright tool that only utilizes the guitar pro program for digitally creating a song he cannot replicate, as I've studied with incredible results over the past couple years of posting a wide range of songs either written on guitar or written completely in guitar pro) you shall find that your riff is too overly tonal in terms of how it is portrayed through the program, and portrayed on a guitar with many factors that aren't included in guitar pro.

The gist of this is, your tuning cannot create the atmosphere you're either playing on the guitar / is a mortifying recreation of your brains own recording pattern gone terribly wrong in its portrayal of recreating your thoughts desires through a program utilizing simple binary code for writing a song that simply does not work because it cannot replicate itself on a tonal scale without the varying factors.

Point is - if you wrote this riff on guitar; it's not bad. If you wrote this riff in guitar pro, you need serious help in understanding the variables that exist between writing and recording on an actual guitar with actual factors.

TL;DR - Riff is absolutely terrible if you wrote it in Guitar Pro. If you wrote it on your guitar; the riff needs serious help, and shouldn't be so completely atonally dissonant because you're trying to be different. Turn 543/432 into a 553, 552, 442, or a 422 chord (maybe add scaled notes either / both above or below the scale) instead of the terribly musically incorrect and just utterly wretched 543/432 chord that quite honestly sounds worse than someones grandmother having an orgasm. Just because it's different, and you writing it feels NOT generic, doesn't mean you should disregard all musical principals to make a "new" chord that doesn't do anything but make me want to blow my brains out (in a bad way, not a Gorguts / Negativa way).

Hopefully I don't have to baby my way through explaining this; write a new riff. This one just doesn't work like you hope. You can do better, so do it.
__________________
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God

Last edited by DragTheWaters11 : 06-05-2013 at 10:47 PM.
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM   #15
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Jesus christ, please tell me I'm not the only one not completely getting this shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
Well, I'd tell you that you don't understand but you already admitted that you do understand, as you recreated riff is only a digital husk of a properly toned riff. You see, when you play the actual riff itself, it is sounding just right to you. However, between the weight of your strings, the height of your frets, and the gauge of your strings in such a tuning / not only the pressure of your fingers on the fretboard, but the distortion of your amp; the riff that you are mentioning is simply completely irrelevantly scaled as such.

What does irrevently scaled even mean? How the hell can a scale be irrelevant? And what does string height/finger pressure and what I'm guessing you're refering to, proper intonation, have anything to do with the song itself? I posted a GP5 file, not a recording, so I don't get how anything of what you said is relevant to what I presented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
If you take the riff that you wrote on your guitar (assuming you're not an upright tool that only utilizes the guitar pro program for digitally creating a song he cannot replicate, as I've studied with incredible results over the past couple years of posting a wide range of songs either written on guitar or written completely in guitar pro) you shall find that your riff is too overly tonal in terms of how it is portrayed through the program, and portrayed on a guitar with many factors that aren't included in guitar pro.

This part of the post made me boil in anger lol. |_JR_|: do you remember him, or even know him? He was one of the best composers I've ever seen here with no doubt: he could work with midi at RedDeath9 levels (super mega sayan). He could barely play bass, yet he wrote great songs. Should he be disregarded just because he's not technically proficient at an instrument?
And what factors are you talking about? It's not like the riff is amazingly techical, it's Ometh we're talking about here: a bunch of powerchords with 2 tritones in the middle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
The gist of this is, your tuning cannot create the atmosphere you're either playing on the guitar / is a mortifying recreation of your brains own recording pattern gone terribly wrong in its portrayal of recreating your thoughts desires through a program utilizing simple binary code for writing a song that simply does not work because it cannot replicate itself on a tonal scale without the varying factors.

I honestly can't even understand what you're saying here, just sounds like pretentious bullshit no offense. And what "atmosphere" do you know I have in mind from the GP file I presented? It's MIDI for ****s sake, how the hell can it portray how I would record or mix it?
And the tuning "can't create the atmosphere"? What does that even mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
TL;DR - Riff is absolutely terrible if you wrote it in Guitar Pro. If you wrote it on your guitar; the riff needs serious help, and shouldn't be so completely atonally dissonant because you're trying to be different. Turn 543/432 into a 553, 552, 442, or a 422 chord (maybe add scaled notes either / both above or below the scale) instead of the terribly musically incorrect and just utterly wretched 543/432 chord that quite honestly sounds worse than someones grandmother having an orgasm. Just because it's different, and you writing it feels NOT generic, doesn't mean you should disregard all musical principals to make a "new" chord that doesn't do anything but make me want to blow my brains out (in a bad way, not a Gorguts / Negativa way).

I don't get how the riff is that atonally dissonant, it's following a diminished scale.
I don't understand how this riff can be worse if written on Guitar Pro alone.
Guitar Pro is meant to be a portrayal of what the recording will be, not the actual recording as you know it. Again this doesn't represent what I want the recording to be tone wise, obviously.
The part about the tritone hate: just a matter of personal taste. I had power chords before but they clashed on the second repetition of the riff and I noticed I liked the tritones better.

And here's the kicker: you'd think I'd change the riff after what you just said. I mean, a ****ing essay about how the universe hates my riff and wants me dead. But then I don't fully get the grasp of what the hell are you even talking about at the moment but I know I don't agree: I like the riff how it is. I didn't see anyone else have a problem with it, it's a bunch of chords ffs.

Other than the riff do you have any more criticism? And be clear this time, do not hide behind "big" words again because this just scream "ignore me".

EDIT: I also don't get how you couldn't have tabbed out an example as of now. You're obviously engaged in this argument, so am I, I'd figure you'd give me some hints since I'm not getting it.
Feel free to do some changes to the song and post the file here.

EDIT2: Is this all because of the bad crit to your song? That wasn't a diss at all, I wasn't trolling, that's how I felt about it. If that's the case I think I'll have to apologize everytime I do a bad crit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.

Last edited by Ometh : 06-06-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #16
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Man I'm just ****ing with you. lol

EDIT: The song was okay.
__________________
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #17
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
Man I'm just ****ing with you. lol

EDIT: The song was okay.

god darnet
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
DragTheWaters11
☺♣♠&#96
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
What I said about the variables on guitar was true though, do you write on an actual guitar or just in the program? I'm actually just genuinely interested about how people on here write their music.
__________________
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
DragTheWaters11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 AM   #19
xbitmetal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
I actually liked this song. Very solid grindcore. Do more this stuff while stoned, works just fine. And extra guitar fits well. Keep this on!
xbitmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
Ometh
nobody
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragTheWaters11
What I said about the variables on guitar was true though, do you write on an actual guitar or just in the program? I'm actually just genuinely interested about how people on here write their music.

I wrote all of these songs on GP: I just smoked 2 joints and sat on a couch with the laptop on my lap. I dunno about you guys but when I get high I just suck at guitar lol. I only very rarely come up with a guitar riff on my own and use it on my songs, don't really know why. Weirdly enough one of my favourite grind songs was written that way, just jamming random riffs.
IMO GP5 is good and all but MIDI just sucks out the life of any good riff, and that's why it's a bit harder to write on it. I have GP6 just for the superior RSE because while it's not great it still sounds more "alive" and less plastic than MIDI. I love MIDI for some things, like old videogame music and Drumkit 25 (dat cowbell).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.