Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-30-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
MaaZeus

Quote:
1w is too little, I forgot to add i play small shows, I'd need in the region of 20-50w I suppose hence a bedroom cab is not really what im after.

I saw the pricetag of the RD45, out of my game if 400 needs to cover head and cab (((((((((

Is 475 with head+cab pushing it too far?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...dm_bundle_2.htm

Same amp as jca50 except more watts and depth mod (low end resonance control basically) built in stock.

I think i recommended this to you some time ago.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #22
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaaZeus
Is 475 with head+cab pushing it too far?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_a...dm_bundle_2.htm

Same amp as jca50 except more watts and depth mod (low end resonance control basically) built in stock.

I think i recommended this to you some time ago.

you might have done, ive been debating getting these jet cities for a good month hhhahaha, might be pushing it, hard to tell, but is it worth that extra cash is what im wondering
AngryIndianDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:44 PM   #23
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ if you're able/willing to wait for the 50 to come back into stock, probably not (unless you need 100 watts and/or the depth control). It's a fair bit more for (as far as i'm aware) more or less the same thing.

I say that having not tried the 100hdm, so probably take that with a pinch of salt

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
J_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryIndianDude
Channels:Normal and Overdrive, foot-switchable with included footswitch

Normal will do for me

It's more like Gain and more gain. Normal is not clean. I have a JCA20H and the "cleans" you get out of it are not clean by any stretch.
J_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #25
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_W
It's more like Gain and more gain. Normal is not clean. I have a JCA20H and the "cleans" you get out of it are not clean by any stretch.

That should be okay as I rarely use clean, but for when I do use it am I totally out of options or are there pedals that could help me there?
Old 05-31-2013, 07:41 AM   #26
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ if you're able/willing to wait for the 50 to come back into stock, probably not (unless you need 100 watts and/or the depth control). It's a fair bit more for (as far as i'm aware) more or less the same thing.

I say that having not tried the 100hdm, so probably take that with a pinch of salt

In which case i'll just wait, I shouldnt need 100 watts and the depth control is okay to go without but thanks for the help!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #27
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by clegtr
Concerning the Jet City, it was recommended to me aswell. I asked the customer service at Thomann when it will be available. They said beginning of august.

Yeah I just heard back, august dang!
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM   #28
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Does it need to be tube amp? If not then check Randalls. The better "back to the roots" one is out of stock at the moment but stock should arrive at early july. The second, unless i am mistaken, is similar to rg75 g3 i owned and it wasnt half bad at all.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rg_1503_head.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/randall_rh150g3.htm

Jet city could be better and more versatile choice overall, but if you are in a hurry.

*edit* scratch the second RH Randall, not worth it.

I just had a look at the randall rg 1503, and its only a bit more than the jet city which amazes me, its a hybrid ss/tube and has two channels, one with two gain settings, better than the jet city i wonder??
Old 05-31-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ i haven't tried it, but i doubt it. I tried the older V2 (pretty expensive) randall hybrid a good while back, and while it was really good for a hybrid, it was still a hybrid. Personally I'd rather have had a full-tube amp like the jet city.

Quote:
In which case i'll just wait, I shouldnt need 100 watts and the depth control is okay to go without but thanks for the help!

no problem

Quote:
That should be okay as I rarely use clean, but for when I do use it am I totally out of options or are there pedals that could help me there?

fwiw i can dial in a reasonable-sounding clean, i think. how loud you can get that clean tone at is another thing, but at low/bedroom volumes you can get a cleanish tone.

rolling back your guitar's volume (a treble bleed cap on the volume will help it to stay sparkly) would help it to stay clean.

A chorus and/or reverb and/or delay pedal normally makes cleans sound a bit more colourful- but they won't make a dirty tone sound clean, lol.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 05-31-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:43 AM   #30
AngryIndianDude

Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
^ i haven't tried it, but i doubt it. I tried the older V2 (pretty expensive) randall hybrid a good while back, and while it was really good for a hybrid, it was still a hybrid. Personally I'd rather have had a full-tube amp like the jet city.

no problem

fwiw i can dial in a reasonable-sounding clean, i think. how loud you can get that clean tone at is another thing, but at low/bedroom volumes you can get a cleanish tone.

rolling back your guitar's volume (a treble bleed cap on the volume will help it to stay sparkly) would help it to stay clean.

A chorus and/or reverb and/or delay pedal normally makes cleans sound a bit more colourful- but they won't make a dirty tone sound clean, lol.

Ah right thanks for the help there. I came across a laney amp which is exactly the same price as the city 50, Laney LV300, any thoughts? im aware that it is not full tube, but i dont really know if its any good for me. thanks!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:09 AM   #31
MaaZeus

Quote:
Ah right thanks for the help there. I came across a laney amp which is exactly the same price as the city 50, Laney LV300, any thoughts? im aware that it is not full tube, but i dont really know if its any good for me. thanks!

LV doesnt get much love. Judging from what ive heard and youtube clips ive listened, the Randall RG1503 I linked would be better choice. Its based on Rg100es, quite famous SS amp in metal circles.

About the depth mod, jet citys get quite bassy as you turn the gain up. The depth knob helps to keep things tight. Or more boomy if you desire. There is a clip in youtube demonstrating it but im not at home so i cant link it yet. Basically its close to resonance knobs of Peaveys if i understood it right.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 05-31-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
LV doesnt get much love. Judging from what ive heard and youtube clips ive listened, the Randall RG1503 I linked would be better choice. Its based on Rg100es, quite famous SS amp in metal circles.

About the depth mod, jet citys get quite bassy as you turn the gain up. The depth knob helps to keep things tight. Or more boomy if you desire. There is a clip in youtube demonstrating it but im not at home so i cant link it yet. Basically its close to resonance knobs of Peaveys if i understood it right.

JCA50H it is. Also gives me a reason to get a pedalboard too! Thanks!!!
Old 05-31-2013, 09:40 AM   #33
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

There are some awesome Laneys that would do what you want but you would need to go 2nd hand.

1977 Burny FLG70
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #34
AlongcameFred
Smells fish

I second Tom 1.0 you can get some awesome second hand deals on Laneys over here. Look for GH and TT heads, or if you can find one a VHR. Here's an example:

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/l...only/1017593676

Use gumtree and ebay to look for the amps.

Also you can consider getting the new small Ironheart series head which retails for just over 300.
AlongcameFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #35
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/thre...35/#post-496402

+

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Be...=item3a818e30f8

=

Laney VH100 and a 212 HB cab with V30s and enough left over for some new tubes for the Laney.

And it can do 8 string stuff well....

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 05-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #36
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
http://www.robchapman.tv/forum/thre...35/#post-496402

+

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harley-Be...=item3a818e30f8

=

Laney VH100 and a 212 HB cab with V30s and enough left over for some new tubes for the Laney.

And it can do 8 string stuff well....

sounds pretty chunky but I would prefer the raw tube power from the jet city to be honest. ill keep that as a backup though
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #37
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

I dont think you know how tube amps work when you use them for metal... The JCA is good stuff though.

Happy hunting

1977 Burny FLG70
Old 05-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #38
lemurflames
Ronnie

Quote:
sounds pretty chunky but I would prefer the raw tube power from the jet city to be honest. ill keep that as a backup though

Do not turn down the VH100R. :P

Get get get.
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #39
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
There are some awesome Laneys that would do what you want but you would need to go 2nd hand.

Yeah! Have you looked at whats on used market Indian dude? You could snatch a good amp for surprisingly little money if you keep your eyes peeled and browse the internet.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Old 05-31-2013, 02:34 PM   #40
AngryIndianDude

Quote:
Yeah! Have you looked at whats on used market Indian dude? You could snatch a good amp for surprisingly little money if you keep your eyes peeled and browse the internet.

I dont want to risk 2nd hand, I know i dont have much choice but id rather something from thomann for instance with a 3 year warantee as I know that tube amps can be a b####

Rate This Thread: