Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #1
nikolazjalic

Jumpy Melodic Metalcore (GP5) C4C!

Hey guys, first post here! Here's a song idea I've been working on recently, I've been kinda stuck on what to do after bar 44. I feel like maybe it loses a bit of flow from the tempo change. Tell me what you guys think.

I'll C4C, the more in detail you go, the same ill do for your song
Attached Files
File Type: gp5 may 12.gp5 (45.4 KB, 324 views)
nikolazjalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
Craziork

I liked the 45th but then it just goes anywhere in my opinion. It's a bit overdue without any leading voice because the guitars don't fit with each other. Like at 46th bar, the chord don't follow the flow of the lead guitar. I'll try to mod what I think needs to be and maybe post it if I feel it's worth listening.

In general your song is cool and liked the riffs and that deathcor-ish intro too.
Craziork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #3
Ometh
nobody

Overall the song was very generic and boring. Metalcore died a few years ago and this song represents that very well. We've got a bunch of "groovy" single note riffs that sound like bad groovy metal, 3 absolutely terrible breakdowns, a melodic section that sounds pulled off a pseudo prog modern metalcore band. I'd scrap this but if you like it keep it I guess
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Craziork

And here's a demo song of what not to do: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1129451
Old 06-03-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziork
And here's a demo song of what not to do: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/...sic/play1129451

Ololo, so mature
Old 06-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Craziork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Ololo, so mature

Your bad attitude against that guy who just wanted to share his tabs with the rest of us is not a proof of maturity. And I've been spotted you, you give other people a lot of shitty critics and interact with 'em in a pure lack of respect for absolute no reason.

Be something you love and understand, be a simple kind of man
Old 06-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #7
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Your bad attitude against that guy who just wanted to share his tabs with the rest of us is not a proof of maturity. And I've been spotted you, you give other people a lot of shitty critics and interact with 'em in a pure lack of respect for absolute no reason.

Be something you love and understand, be a simple kind of man

It's my opinion: I might come off as a dick but I honestly don't care. That's how I feel and I'm 100% right I'm not the only one. Normally I give out tips but I'm just SICK of metalcore in this forum. I swear every other new member goes on a metalcore spree, with all the cliches that make the genre horrible, like 8-5-0 progressions, boring pedal riffs, breakdowns, etc. I don't want to give tips on a genre I just don't respect anymore really. If TS really wants tips he should ask, and we'll gradly help (well not me probably, depends).
It's also stupid for you to go around defending TS: unless TS is a toddler that feel from a 5 floor building head first onto a metal spike: then you can totally talk (or write, since this is a forum) for him, since the only two things he knows how to do properly is shit is pants and slobber all over his t-shirt.

Also this is spam and since I was banned twice already I think we should bring our discussion elsewhere (a place where discussions go to die, so desolate and lonely ;_; )

Last edited by Ometh : 06-03-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:27 AM   #8
Craziork

Quote:
It's my opinion: I might come off as a dick but I honestly don't care. That's how I feel and I'm 100% right I'm not the only one. Normally I give out tips but I'm just SICK of metalcore in this forum. I swear every other new member goes on a metalcore spree, with all the cliches that make the genre horrible, like 8-5-0 progressions, boring pedal riffs, breakdowns, etc. I don't want to give tips on a genre I just don't respect anymore really. If TS really wants tips he should ask, and we'll gradly help (well not me probably, depends).
It's also stupid for you to go around defending TS: unless TS is a toddler that feel from a 5 floor building head first onto a metal spike: then you can totally talk (or write, since this is a forum) for him, since the only two things he knows how to do properly is shit is pants and slobber all over his t-shirt.

Also this is spam and since I was banned twice already I think we should bring our discussion elsewhere (a place where discussions go to die, so desolate and lonely ;_; )

Less of you could be a release for the rest of us... You have absolutely no respect whatso ever and since your song Oblivion is not a masterpiece (but I mean REALLY NOT a masterpiece) you could use some listening to tips instead of shitting on other people's song.

The title of this thread includes the tag ''Metalcore''... Why did you even clicked on the link if you can't stand that genre?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:57 AM   #9
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Less of you could be a release for the rest of us...

For you I guess, but I'd be lying if I said I cared.
Quote:
You have absolutely no respect whatso ever and since your song Oblivion is not a masterpiece (but I mean REALLY NOT a masterpiece) you could use some listening to tips instead of shitting on other people's song.

I'm ok with that. Unlike you I'm okay with different opinions regarding my work. But then again you like TDWP and Chelsea Grin so should I take you seriously? I'm going towards no.
Quote:
The title of this thread includes the tag ''Metalcore''... Why did you even clicked on the link if you can't stand that genre?

Because I can. The site didn't time out when I clicked the link, the browser didn't close as soon as I started typing, it was almost as the universe wanted me to crit

And now here's some advice from a guy that's been here 3 years longer than you: want to argue? Use the PM system, I'll gladly ignore you. Stop spamming this thread up.

Last edited by Ometh : 06-03-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:07 PM   #10
amonamarthmetal

I usually ignore songs on here I don't like.

Click here if you like arpeggios
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
nikolazjalic

@Craziork thanks! I agree with what you said about there being no leading voice, the more i listen to it the more i think it sounds chaotic. I'm probably going to scrap that and try something else there. I'd be interested in hearing your ideas for that section

@Ometh thanks for the constructive criticism! I know this song is anything groundbreaking or revolutionary but I'm trying to write what I can. I was under the impression that you get better by doing and thats why im here, to share my musical creations and get feedback so that i can improve. It's fine that you didnt like it and dont like metalcore but it would be more help if you would have given some actual feedback on what i could i improve. Either way, ill still gladly accept any form of critique as long as it's honest

EDIT: If you want me to critique your song as well, leave me the link in your comment

Last edited by nikolazjalic : 06-03-2013 at 02:32 PM.
nikolazjalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Craziork

I think I'm done with this discussion who keep coming back all circle * but maybe one final reply:

Quote:
For you I guess, but I'd be lying if I said I cared.

I'm ok with that. Unlike you I'm okay with different opinions regarding my work. But then again you like TDWP and Chelsea Grin so should I take you seriously? I'm going towards no.

It's funny how you are ok with different opinion, so different ideas, but then you claim that these two band are not to take seriously...

*TDWP reference

And PS: I made a reference to Lynyrd Skynyrd one time during our debate, can you find it? Just to show you I don't only listen to metalcore...
Old 06-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #13
BloodReverence

I'm with Craziork, Ometh. Your constant barrage of insults on a genre you don't like is annoying. I ****ing hate grindcore but I'm not commenting on all the downbeat songs you post and telling you that their as shitty as they are (which, they are pretty shitty tbh).

Srsly dude, if your criticism isn't constructive, you're not helping anyone and you're just serving to seem like more of a douche than you already come across as.

As for the song, I feel like you're trying to copy Born of Osiris' first album a bit too much. Branch out and expand your influences, combine them into this piece and broaden the musicality to it. So far it's really good (by metalcore standards) but it could be much better with a more pronounced sense of direction and a bit more diversity.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #14
Ometh
nobody

First of all sorry for wrecking your thread TS. I never meant to get peoples panties in a bunch, I guess some modern metalcore fans are bound to have hemorrhoids don't even know why they would get upset: I'd get it if you were pissed or sad TS but you weren't, you were nice. That's why I'm going to give you a better crit today (I'm on my phone atm).
BloodReverence: I honestly don't care how douche-y I come across to you. Instead of derailing this thread why don't you use your brains for a bit and post a crit on one of my songs
Also btw I used to be a huge metalcore fan a few years ago, and I still am, just not this kind of metalcore lol.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

If I'm honest, to me, this song just came and went, it didn't leave an impact on me, it's something I've heard before. The issue I have is that there is barely any rhythm changes, when you boil it down, it's a similar rhythm throughout. The use of intervals is also quite predictable, there were lots of Minor Thirds, and I must say, I think the breakdown was pointless, as this piece already uses a lot of heavy open string chugs, so, really, I couldn't tell much of a difference. Some of your melodic ideas around bar 53 showed potential, however, it was so offbeat, it often sounded like you had a nice melody and put random rests in to make it sound less 'mainstream'. The difference between unsigned metalcore bands and signed ones are that usually the unsigned ones have no remarkable melodies, this piece is crying out for a decent chorus, and with a different rhythm guitar part, the melody at bar 53 can be expanded on to create a nice little bridge/solo section.

There also seems to be a bit of a row starting in this topic, really, Ometh isn't wrong. I do say that his critiques are blunt, though I say his critiques are often accurate, the pedal riffs here are uninspired, the breakdown was just a standard breakdown we've heard before, and Metalcore is such a crowded market, you've got to really break ground to be someone, and you aren't going to break ground by having your friends say "OMFG YOU ROCK MAN" or have a forum goer say "It was alright, you just need to...". While those constructive critiques are helpful, the way one responds to "You're shit, and here's why" can make or break you as a musician, you can either go "Yeah?! Well your music is crap", or you can take a step back and say "Yeah, this riff was nicked from that band I really like, maybe I can do something more original to spice up my breakdowns" Then you can start a new piece that will be better because you've learnt what not to do when composing, and your ability as a composer will grow from there.

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube

Last edited by CelestialGuitar : 06-04-2013 at 03:10 PM.
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:47 PM   #16
Ometh
nobody

^ Holy shit I like you. Alot.

You did the crit I said I would do
Basically all the points have been made.
Now let's see what I would improve. This is my opinion and obviously I'm biased so take it as you will.
The first riff is groovy yet it still feels and sounds generic. The scale selection is at fault here, but the idea behind it is also flawed since I've heard alot of metalcore bands do the same lately. I also dislike the next pseudo-djent riff, but then again I'm not a fan of djent in any way and the most interesting aspect of it (polymeters) is gone here. All we have left is some predictable sincopation, leading into an open string breakdown. Now a breakdown in a metalcore/deathcore song has the same purpose as a slam in brutal death metal per example, that is release the tension. There's no tension here since most of the riffs are mid tempo and the drums always play similar beats. The breakdown doesn't break the song at all here, it just feels like filler. If you still wanna use a breakdown? Use actual chords instead of plowing away at the low open string: experiment with polyrythmns/meters, make it jagged so it's not so predictable and place it at a better location. Older metalcore bands used to have breakdowns at the end of their songs as a tension reliever, and normally that's how they work better. The dissonant octave chords in the backround add nothing to the breakdown itself, and they're also a very generic thing to do IMO. I would also remove the tritones at the end of 38, but that's because I absolutely despise tritone breakdowns. At least it didn't go in that direction lol. The next melodic riff is ok but also overdone to death in metalcore. The placement is also fairly predictable. Scale usage is at fault here once more, since harmonic minor rape feels always tiresome. The song then seems to go on for no reason, expanding on the previous riff yet going absolutely nowhere. Shalai Hulud is a band that does this kind of riffs very well since their whole songs are based on this formula: for the first few listens they keep you wondering where it'll go next and that's cool, but in such a straightfoward song like this it feels random. The first guitar and drums then suddenly stop yet one guitar goes on: I'm guessing this part is unfinished. Also the drums are getting on my nerves right now: breakdown beats in the whole song sound horrible. Second breakdown then come in, out of nowhere and I see you noted out a third breakdown too. I'm hoping you don't want to place them like this since like I mentioned an over abundance of breakdowns will make the song worse than it already is.
Things to improve IMO:
-New drum track/more drum beats/more fills
-More riffs/different riffs/harmonies
-A bass track but then again this is not necessary, it's gp5
-Experiment with dissonance a bit, great for tension release. And by dissonance I don't mean tritone breakdowns.
I don't really have more advice for this since like I mentioned I'm not a fan of this genre, at least modern metalcore and I don't have much experience writing it. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Ometh : 06-04-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:04 PM   #17
ChemicalFire
King of Bacon Pancakes

If you don't want people to say you suck. Don't get into music.

Because no matter HOW good you are (I'm on the side of Ometh and Celestial here though, I find this stale and tired for the reasons already stated) people are still gonna say you suck.

Negative constructive criticism, if you can take it without having a bitch fit is the MOST useful kind of criticism.

Ultimately it depends on what you're trying to do. Are you trying to write GOOD music or are you trying to write TRENDY music.

Because it seems from this song that you're doing the latter. Though just because the extremely critical (and often knowledgeable) people on the internet don't like it... doesn't mean that the masses won't think it's the best thing ever.

I mean bands like BFMV, Emmure, Oceano, they're all popular... that doesn't however mean that there is ANY musical/artistic merit to their output

The Site I Write For / My Soundcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMan311
Proving yet again that you consistently have the worst taste on this forum.

Last edited by ChemicalFire : 06-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.
ChemicalFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #18
Ometh
nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolazjalic
EDIT: If you want me to critique your song as well, leave me the link in your comment

I just noticed this. I finished up 3 songs lately but I dunno how to feel about them tbh. I've been on a dry spell for almost an year now so I don't really know how good/bad my material is. I was also pretty stoned while writing all of them lol.

You can choose between these 2 grind songs: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1603506 and http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1603375
And this one, which is pretty and generic: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1603392
Old 06-04-2013, 02:42 PM   #19
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

I'm siding with Ometh on this one.
Here on UG, we create things. Tabs, original recordings, lyrics, covers, or even the occasional remix, we are creative types. And creative types only succeed if other people like what they create. Now, a good part of making people like something comes from presentation, but if the content is mediocre, it'll get a mediocre response, especially since there are millions (maybe literally) of other metalcore bands out there that all sound the same, and that don't do anything innovative. What makes people want to choose you over Verb the Plural Nouns from New Djentistan, Mass?
Since you'll be judged by other people for what you make, no matter what, getting some constructive criticism early on, instead of an echo chamber, is really important. It's why I just posted some lyrics I'd just written in S&L, even though I hate lyrics and can't stand writing them; if you think I'm a dick, feel free to give me a taste of my own medicine over there. Unfortunately, UG's subforums for content are echo chambers. People use it as a promotional tool (this is a tiny niche forum that nobody reads, you're not going to be the next Avenged Sevenfold because five people liked your demo on Facebook). It's not. It's a place to get honest, critical opinions from the sort of people that'll be listening to your music. "Don't like, don't listen"? "Don't want to be judged, don't post it on a forum made for judging."
Still, kudos to TS for taking criticism the right way; it's never easy, especially if some of the people here (that's me!) can be more abrasive than average. Bars 3 and 4 could be the beginning of a good (but generic) metalcore riff, even if the rest of it just blends into one vaguely melodic jumble.
And Craziork, nobody cares how many omg so clever references you slip into your posts. You're still only a wall in an echo chamber, your wall is just covered in the logos of shit bands.

Last edited by Cavalcade : 06-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Cavalcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #20
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

So proud of you guys

Quote:
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: