Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
drewcadaver

Unhappy Issues with pinches - but not as simple as the usual issues

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice - I'm having horrific bother getting pinch harmonics on my Jackson RR5 (with EMG 81s neck and bridge), but I can get them no bother on my DK2, Ibanez Destroyed, RG7321 AND Les Paul Prophecy.

I've tried changing strings, checked intonation, had the guitar professionally set up and the neck straightened, I'm running out of ideas.

Ordinarily, I'd blame my technique - I'm no Vai, but as I say, I can pinch like a mofo on any of my other guitars.

Anyone got any advice/suggestions before I just get rid of the guitar, cos I've spent a fortune on upgrades, setups etc all to no avail.
drewcadaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

If you're as good as you say you are at pinches, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it on this guitar. Once you learn the technique, you can do them on any guitar at all. I've even done them on a classical guitar.

Post a vid of yourself playing. Maybe we can see something that would help.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
If you're as good as you say you are at pinches, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to get it on this guitar. Once you learn the technique, you can do them on any guitar at all. I've even done them on a classical guitar.

Gonna agree with this completely.

Whilst I'm also no Vai i can still sound out pinch harmonics on any guitar. It'll take me a bit longer to get the hang of it than on my most commonly played RG but you should be able to sound them on even an acoustic. If you can't sound pinch harmonics on an acoustic then you can't play a pinch harmonic. The same principle techniques apply for pinch harmonics on every guitar so i can't understand why you can't play it on your other guitar.
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #4
Reign77

I've read some reviews of this guitar and No one else had this problem; yours may be defective or something.

I've had this same problem with my schecter and I could never figure out why. I thought it might be the horrible fret buzz it had even with high action, does your do this?
Reign77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:04 AM   #5
chainsawguitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1

Ordinarily, I would agree with this..;however, there is something else to consider.

What's the scale length on this guitar? If it's different to your other guitars then it may just be that the pinch harmonics fall in totally different places (in relation to the guitar- they will always be the same in relation to the string).

Harmonics fall at exact divisions of the string (1/2. 1/3. 1/4 etc...) and this doesn't always line up with the same points on the guitar.

Just something you might want to consider...
Old 06-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainsawguitar
Ordinarily, I would agree with this..;however, there is something else to consider.

What's the scale length on this guitar? If it's different to your other guitars then it may just be that the pinch harmonics fall in totally different places (in relation to the guitar- they will always be the same in relation to the string).

Harmonics fall at exact divisions of the string (1/2. 1/3. 1/4 etc...) and this doesn't always line up with the same points on the guitar.

Just something you might want to consider...

Yeah that's true. But I believe that most people would try in a different spot if they miss. And if TS is as good as he says, I'm assuming that he knows this.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM   #7
drewcadaver

I'd post a video, but my cab isn't at my house at present, so I have nothing to play through.

Asking the question on a guitar forum, I was sure to get folk essentially saying the problem was my playing, but if that was genuinely the issue, then I'd have realised that - I'm not a great guitarist, but I do KNOW that I can pinch on my other guitars fine - this isn't an attention seeking post, I was actually looking for insight.

The scale length thing is something I hadn't considered - i'll look into it.
drewcadaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: