Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
Hyver920

What amp head do i need?

I have an R.A.W. 4x10 400 watt 8 ohm cabinet, what rating of amp head is the best decision, as most of the amp heads i have found are rated at 4 ohms thanks
Hyver920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
DirkThrust

Most heads are rated at 4 ohms MINIMUM. That means you can drive 2 x 8 ohm cabs with a 4 ohm rated head. 2 x 8 ohms cabs connected in parallel gives a load of 4 ohms. That's why most heads are rated at 4 ohms minimum, so you can drive 2 cabs at the same time.

Just about any head will do it. What type of music are you going to play, how loud, and what is your budget?

Avoid heads that have a much higher or lower rating than your cabinet at 8 ohms, for example a 100watt head may struggle to achieve enough volume, and a 800watt head may melt your voice coils.

Personally I'd look for a head rated between 250 and 400 watts @ 8 ohms.

Last edited by DirkThrust : 06-06-2013 at 04:28 AM.
DirkThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
FatalGear41
What Fools These Mortals!

Where are you located? Location often narrows the available choices. Are you willing to go used, or must you have a new amplifier head? How loud does your band play? How loud is your drummer? What is your guitarist(s) using? What size venues do you play, or are you planning to play?

All of these questions help narrow down just how much firepower you're going to need. The answers help us recommend something that works in your situation, and may save you from wasting time and money on something that won't fit the bill.

There are a lot of good bass amplifier heads out there these days, so you'll definitely be able to find something that does what you need. Good luck with your search!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
DirkThrust

I think this is going to be one of those annoying threads where the OP never returns.
DirkThrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
Hyver920

I am in tulsa oklahoma. I have about a $500 Budget to work with. playing small clubs with a loud drummer and we are currently patching me into the p.a. system
Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Hyver920

sorry about the late reply. internet service issues.

Rate This Thread: