Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Question maybe the pit section shouldn't be on these forums

to maybe help reduce non musicians who join to goof around with posts, and maybe pull in and keep more musicians who don't see a bunch of what may be considered junk threads or junk replies.
just a thought.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fukk
 
severed-metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
People need an outlet so they don't spam other forums with their idiocy.
__________________
Planet Earth about to be recycled
Song of my soul, my voice is dead;
Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed
Shall dry and die in
Lost Carcosa.


Your only chance to evacuate, is to leave with us
severed-metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
pushingthrough
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Essential to the site. As stated, it gives an outlet to the community for more divergent topics, keeping the other forums on focus. There are plenty of forums for EVERYTHING guitar related. I dont think one free for all forum detracts from the site. I actually like reading through them its good entertainment sometimes!!!
pushingthrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:28 PM   #4
vIsIbleNoIsE
The Asian-Viking Paradox
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
how about stopping it from appearing on the front page? or am i the only sucker who pays attention to that section?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
vIsIbleNoIsE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
link no1
Also cute and fluffy!!!
 
link no1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Inglund
All forums have something like 'the pit'. If forums didn't have a pit-type part then people would be signed up to around 1,000 different specific forums just to ask people "what's the weirdest thing you've seen an animal hump?"
__________________
When I was eleven I broke the patio window and my mother sued me... She's always been a very aggressive litigator.
link no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:37 PM   #6
fanapathy
B-Tuned
 
fanapathy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
I think it's fine. Most major internet forums have similar off-topic places where regulars can go troll and joke around. It's not for everyone but it's better than having those posts in the more serious forums.
fanapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
tukk04
UG's Neil Young
 
tukk04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Did you really just join or did you lose your old account and re-sign up? Because this is a fairly strong question for someone who has only been on this site for a month at most. It's a rather pointless question at that, if you don't want to go to the pit, don't go there. Nobody is forcing you to read or reply in the pit, and other people thoroughly enjoy the off-topic discussions with like-minded people (musicians tend to agree on certain things) If you look on any other guitar-related site, they all have off-topic forums too.
__________________
Reverbnation
Facebook

Soundcloud
tukk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:40 PM   #8
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
People need an outlet so they don't spam other forums with their idiocy.


well they could find forums they relate to more so. like religious, relationship or political forums, etc. it seems kinda pointless for non musicians to join and post with lets say relationship topics so often when there are forum sites specifically for that.
when a relationship thread is started it gets hundreds of replies but when a thread is started about joining a band it gets a few replies.
that tells me that with all the hundreds of thousands of musicians in the u.s. alone they are not posting on these forums at all after reading it or anymore after they experience too much junk.
if other sites have problems with spam then they can deal with their/that problem how they see fit.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:47 PM   #9
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pushingthrough
Essential to the site. As stated, it gives an outlet to the community for more divergent topics, keeping the other forums on focus. There are plenty of forums for EVERYTHING guitar related. I dont think one free for all forum detracts from the site. I actually like reading through them its good entertainment sometimes!!!


however, the internet is already very diverse with all kinds of forum sites you can enjoy visiting very easily for that specific topic. with only musician sections on this site then i would think non musicians would find the site fairly useless to them and boring, thus not tempting them to post in musicians sections to just goof around with musicians when talking about non musician stuff.
nothings to stop them from joining to do that anyway, but i think my idea would greatly reduce that.
it's not like other sites have a musicians section to be more diverse.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:53 PM   #10
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by link no1
All forums have something like 'the pit'. If forums didn't have a pit-type part then people would be signed up to around 1,000 different specific forums just to ask people "what's the weirdest thing you've seen an animal hump?"


it wouldn't be 1000 forums. people only wanna talk about the same things. religion, racial things, politics, relationships, automobiles, houses, cooking, pets.
even if there are 100 different type of forum sites on the net, so what? there's plenty of room for them. people can easily find them on with an engine search, and if they are serious posters they can join and post.
if people have one question about pets, they would most likely have a lot more than one and also answer questions.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #11
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tukk04
Did you really just join or did you lose your old account and re-sign up? Because this is a fairly strong question for someone who has only been on this site for a month at most. It's a rather pointless question at that, if you don't want to go to the pit, don't go there. Nobody is forcing you to read or reply in the pit, and other people thoroughly enjoy the off-topic discussions with like-minded people (musicians tend to agree on certain things) If you look on any other guitar-related site, they all have off-topic forums too.

you completely missed the point. it's not about me not wanting to go to the pit, it's about pit people who fill up the musicians section with spam and helping reduce that, and so actual musicians will see less of that and take a chance with a forums that seems more serious than not, and stay if they join.
how long i been a member is irrelevant if my point is valid. you did reply, perhaps because you are a non musician who is offended or threatened by this. i wonder that because you say how other guitar sites do that, and what i learn from musicians is they usually don't do what everyone does just because everyone else does and believe that makes it okay.
there's nothing wrong with being unique. musicians know this and take pride in that. if a guitar or musicians site only had musicians sections, what would that be like?
hard to say for me or you being it hasn't happened yet. yet these types of sites are not very busy with all the musicians around often doing nothing in between musician stuff.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #12
supersac
Registered User
 
supersac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
screw you

i like the pit
__________________
a youtube link?
maybe you should click on it
http://www.youtube.com/user/supersac69


Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #13
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
screw you

i like the pit

no thanks, i'm not gay...and if i were, i wouldn't be that desperate.

i also expect non musicians to like the pit, everyone wants to be cool and hang with musicians if not be one them self. and that's okay, so long as they don't try and get involved with musicians taking care of musicians business too much.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Malchius
....
 
Malchius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
There are are plenty of other guitar forums that don't have an equivalent of the pit and they are in no where near as active as UG's non pit section.

Go to one of them if you don't like the pit.

Last edited by Malchius : 06-07-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
supersac
Registered User
 
supersac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
no thanks, i'm not gay...and if i were, i wouldn't be that desperate.

i also expect non musicians to like the pit, everyone wants to be cool and hang with musicians if not be one them self. and that's okay, so long as they don't try and get involved with musicians taking care of musicians business too much.



youre obviously not gay
the gays love me!

but seriously youre taking this way more seriously than anyone else
site is fun and peopole will comment on what they will
you can get plenty of help on here and mess around with people who have similar opiions and interests
and th epit has helped many a people here myself included
__________________
a youtube link?
maybe you should click on it
http://www.youtube.com/user/supersac69


Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #16
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchius
There are are plenty of other guitar forums that don't have an equivalent of the pit and they are in no where near as active as UG's non pit section.

Go to one of them if you don't like the pit.


i haven't seen one. don't post me a link either. i'll search for one again, but if it's dead as hell then i won't bother. maybe i'm wrong. who's to say for sure?
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #17
dog_style
UG Senior Member
 
dog_style's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: the U.S. of A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersac
youre obviously not gay
the gays love me!

but seriously youre taking this way more seriously than anyone else
site is fun and peopole will comment on what they will
you can get plenty of help on here and mess around with people who have similar opiions and interests
and th epit has helped many a people here myself included


i find it interesting when people are self proclaimed about who loves them, especially when these people haven't even told them they loved them. but maybe it's true the way you bop up and down like that and with your body shape.

there's that overly common comment about how i am not doing what everyone else is doing, like i should. that's not how musicians think, don't ever forget that.
i know i can do those things you're talking about on this sute, but i'm just thinking about improving the site with getting more musicians here rather than more non musicians because there are not many musicians here from what i would expect.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #18
Malchius
....
 
Malchius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Christ, stop double posting and fix your grammar. A capital letter isn't hard to use.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:49 PM   #19
babysmasher
unwell
 
babysmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
i find it interesting when people are self proclaimed about who loves them, especially when these people haven't even told them they loved them. but maybe it's true the way you bop up and down like that and with your body shape.


I find self-proclaimed musicians very interesting
babysmasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #20
sam b
Crystanbul
 
sam b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Suomi



Leave the pit alone!
__________________
'Veteran User of the Year' - 2013
(Life = Complete)
Newcastle United Football Club
Lewis Hamilton
Kimi Rikknen
Quite.

Last edited by sam b : 06-07-2013 at 04:59 PM.
sam b is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.