Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Misc > Ultimate Guitar Feedback > Site Suggestions
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #21
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog_style
i also expect non musicians to like the pit, everyone wants to be cool and hang with musicians if not be one them self. and that's okay, so long as they don't try and get involved with musicians taking care of musicians business too much.

fact is, a lot of people joined this site for musical/guitar related advice or tabs, and a lot of them lost interest in taking guitar seriously as they got older
but they were already members of this community at that point, and theres no reason they shouldn't stay as part of this community, they just moved on to mostly posting in The Pit (and maybe whatever B&A forum takes their fancy).
you're basically asking UG to say goodbye to the most active part of it's forum community, which makes no sense from a businesses point of view
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #22
adamgur96
Not caring no more

Location: On a Small Ugly Rock In Space, Surrounded By Over 7,000,000,000 Ignorant Cunts And Retąrds....... Status: If I Just Posted This Then I Probably Have Too Much Spare Time.....
Basically what everyone else said.

And try to look at what you're saying here TS, you basically just joined and you're trying to change a big chunk of the site. In over 12 years i think Zappp and the other admins know what they're doing.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
People need an outlet so they don't spam other forums with their idiocy.

There's a solution for that. SPAM another forum with your stupidity and you win a warning. Do it again and you win a temp ban. Do it again and you win the ultimate prize - perma ban.

Someone else mentioned that all the other sites have their version of The Pit. I don't think so. TDPRI has their Bad Dog Cafe, but it comes nowhere close to the garbage that shows up in The Pit.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #24
LeakyFlask
onaarq

Quote:
you completely missed the point. it's not about me not wanting to go to the pit, it's about pit people who fill up the musicians section with spam

They really don't, it's against the rules. The pit abides by the pit rules, but if you take that attitude anywhere else you will be warned/banned, I know from experience. I like being around the guitar related parts of the site, discussing gear and the likes, and then also mucking about in the pit. I wouldn't be interested in taking off-top inquiries to other forums, because a large portion of what makes the pit great is simply reading these posts from people you know and love, or love to hate.

Quote:
how long i been a member is irrelevant if my point is valid.

But it is relevant, because if you've only been here a month you haven't had the time to get to know and be part of this community. And community is really the key word here.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #25
wyldething
Is A Good Thing

Quote:
it seems kinda pointless for non musicians to join and post with lets say relationship topics so often when there are forum sites specifically for that.

You think non-musicians are joining a forum on ultimate-guitar.com just to post in the off-topic board?

D'ok.
wyldething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 10:48 AM   #26
Spaztikko

I like how he wants to get rid of a lot of ad revenue from forum goers.
Spaztikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #27
Kylianvb
doesn't like mondays.

Basically any forum on any specific subject (be it music, flyfishing, videogames or navel fluff collecting) has an off-topic section. It may sound odd to you, but some people like discussing other things as well, in any community really. As for pit-frequenters 'spamming' the other boards... If that's even a thing, that's a problem mods are supposed to care of, and I think they do their job quite well.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #28
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
There's a solution for that. SPAM another forum with your stupidity and you win a warning. Do it again and you win a temp ban. Do it again and you win the ultimate prize - perma ban.

That is what happens (well, not a perma ban the first time). I see no problem.
Quote:

Last edited by Hydra150 : 06-08-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #29
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysmasher
I find self-proclaimed musicians very interesting

yes.
dog_style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #30
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
fact is, a lot of people joined this site for musical/guitar related advice or tabs, and a lot of them lost interest in taking guitar seriously as they got older
but they were already members of this community at that point, and theres no reason they shouldn't stay as part of this community, they just moved on to mostly posting in The Pit (and maybe whatever B&A forum takes their fancy).
you're basically asking UG to say goodbye to the most active part of it's forum community, which makes no sense from a businesses point of view

i see what you mean, especially about the tab part.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:25 PM   #31
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgur96
Basically what everyone else said.

And try to look at what you're saying here TS, you basically just joined and you're trying to change a big chunk of the site. In over 12 years i think Zappp and the other admins know what they're doing.

that doesn't mean a good idea may not still come their way.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #32
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Not too likely that it'll come from you, though.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #33
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylianvb
Basically any forum on any specific subject (be it music, flyfishing, videogames or navel fluff collecting) has an off-topic section. It may sound odd to you, but some people like discussing other things as well, in any community really. As for pit-frequenters 'spamming' the other boards... If that's even a thing, that's a problem mods are supposed to care of, and I think they do their job quite well.

i would think that if there were more musicians here that musicians would mainly (if not only) talk about music because often they seem to eat, breathe and live music, their music that they create, their band, etc.
but there doesn't seem to be much action with musicians doing that here, not as much as i would expect.
another question is why aren't there more (tons) of musicians on this site with the thousands there are out there. what's keeping them away? many are not always out gigging and what not and could be doing something constructive with their music here in the meantime.
i could imagine that many non musicians will join here because they feel more cool being around a main musicians forum on the net.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #34
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

I'm a serious musician here at UG. I ask for help and provide it every now and then. I hate the pit. But I'm still okay with it and I understand it's purpose. And I have never during my years here seen a pit dweller troll any of the serious forums here, they keep their offtopic in the pit and I see no problem with that.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:52 PM   #35
dog_style
UG Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
I'm a serious musician here at UG. I ask for help and provide it every now and then. I hate the pit. But I'm still okay with it and I understand it's purpose. And I have never during my years here seen a pit dweller troll any of the serious forums here, they keep their offtopic in the pit and I see no problem with that.

i've seen some possible non musician people that seem suspiciously clever about trolling here.

but if non musicians wanna join just to be cool and only play in the pit and talk about relationships, racism, religion and boring subjects like that, then maybe they should consider taking up an instrument. it's not hard to buy at least an affordable acoustic guitar at a music store and learn some basic chords to bang around with just for fun if nothing more, i'm pretty sure they'd get more serious about the musicians section then.

just another though.
Old 06-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #36
Hydra150
not so cowardly

Quote:
i've seen some possible non musician people that seem suspiciously clever about trolling here.

but if non musicians wanna join just to be cool and only play in the pit and talk about relationships, racism, religion and boring subjects like that, then maybe they should consider taking up an instrument. it's not hard to buy at least an affordable acoustic guitar at a music store and learn some basic chords to bang around with just for fun if nothing more, i'm pretty sure they'd get more serious about the musicians section then.

just another though.

Your sounding pretty elitist there, mate. This is a social website, not a pro-musician only members club.
Quote:
Old 06-10-2013, 04:47 PM   #37
JimDawson
Storywriter, Guitar nerd.

Lets see...

TS has so far, in this topic, made:

1 quadruple post
1 double post
1 triple post (which would have been another quadruple post if it wasn't for Hydra150)

It isn't that hard to make multiple quotes in one post. If you can't even respect forum rules, why should we take your drastic suggestions seriously?
JimDawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #38
Malchius

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDawson
Lets see...

1 quadruple post
1 double post
1 triple post (which would have been another quadruple post if it wasn't for Hydra150)

It isn't that hard to make multiple quotes in one post. If you can't even respect forum rules, why should we take your drastic suggestions seriously?

He's also necro'd about 4 threads today, this being one of them. This is like a baker telling a mechanic how to fix a car with marzipan.
Malchius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #39
Insanity ninja
UG's resident potwash.

Quote:

just another though.

To be honest, I don't see the problem. If they want to discuss that stuff let them.

I'm actually wondering if you're a non-musician who's good at trolling, as you stated earlier.
You seem to miss the point of a community, yes this site is a guitar site, but people may want to discuss other topics with people of a like mind to themselves.
I personally enjoy the pit because the threads there give me information for something I wouldn't otherwise learn.

Overall, I think this is a poor suggestion.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:22 PM   #40
Sakke
Miika Tenkula Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDawson
Lets see...

1 quadruple post
1 double post

Exactly what I came to say here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malchius
He's also necro'd about 4 threads today, this being one of them. This is like a baker telling a mechanic how to fix a car with marzipan.

Oh and TS, who are you to say that who is a musician and who isn't?
What are the standards to be a musician from your point of view?

And to add, pretty much everyone has said it here, pretty much every forum has an off-topic section. Why not discuss off-topic stuff with people that you've met here? You'd need to take their e-mails or ask them to come to the other forum you're on. I'd be far too lazy for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6_Steven
Someone else mentioned that all the other sites have their version of The Pit. I don't think so. TDPRI has their Bad Dog Cafe, but it comes nowhere close to the garbage that shows up in The Pit.

Yes, that's unfortunately very true.

My band playing a song
Darkened Sky - End of Me

Last edited by Sakke : 06-10-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: