Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-09-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Gillthenasty

Band trouble?

Hi!

I've played in a power trio for almost a year now, but the drummer sucked so we kicked him out. Now we've found 2 guys (they're friends so they come in a package), 1 guitarist and 1 bassist. The problem is, first of all I don't want to play in a four piece, but also I feel like I'm getting almost replaced in the band, I don't have all these fun things for myself anymore.

This is making me really sad, because my best friend, the former bassist and current drummer, said at first that we should look for a bassist and how awesome it would have been, but now he's stuck with these guys in his mind, and I really don't want to play with these.

We had a gig of 1 song a few weeks ago with only the bassist, my friend on drums and me on guitar, and that was so fun! I really loved it!

The main problem is that I feel like my friend takes my space and gives it to this new guy..

What should I do?
Gillthenasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
webber243

if youre the singer then you'll be safe - you cant replace a singer with someone who cant sing. anyway, unless your mates a complete twat then i doubt he'll ask you to leave. if i were you i'd take some time to get to know the new guitar player, what he can do and what he cant and enjoy playing guitar with another guy - it opens up way more possibilities for playing than just one guitar
Old 06-09-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
Drapte

IT depends on a lot of things dude, Is the band serious or just for fun? Though to be honest it sounds like you are being a little selfish even though I see where u are coming from. If I were you I'd use it as inspiration to get better shit happens in life so don't let it get the better of you.
Old 06-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
guitar/bass95
Now actually likes BTBAM

What kind of music do you play? Having two guitarists opens up so many new ways to play music that you should consider it, playing beautiful harmonies and melodies without a second guitar can sometimes sound a bit hollow. Having only a bass to offer harmonic context might not be a good idea, even if it would work having a guitarist or a keyboard-ist for rhytm is a lot better.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Gillthenasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
What kind of music do you play? Having two guitarists opens up so many new ways to play music that you should consider it, playing beautiful harmonies and melodies without a second guitar can sometimes sound a bit hollow. Having only a bass to offer harmonic context might not be a good idea, even if it would work having a guitarist or a keyboard-ist for rhytm is a lot better.

That's something I forgot to mention, we play stuff like blink 182 and Green Day.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

So is the issue that now there's two guitarists and you want to be the only guitarist?
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
Gillthenasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
So is the issue that now there's two guitarists and you want to be the only guitarist?

The issue is that I feel like I'm being replaced by my friend.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
guitar/bass95
Now actually likes BTBAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillthenasty
That's something I forgot to mention, we play stuff like blink 182 and Green Day.

Well, then you might not need all that complex harmonies. I'd probably just talk to your friend about the situation and think things through with him, keeping your worries to yourself could harm your relationship with your current band and your future bands.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Gillthenasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar/bass95
Well, then you might not need all that complex harmonies. I'd probably just talk to your friend about the situation and think things through with him, keeping your worries to yourself could harm your relationship with your current band and your future bands.

Aight, but imma stick with this and try to "take more room".

thx
Old 06-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
HotspurJr

Quote:
The issue is that I feel like I'm being replaced by my friend.

I don't understand this. How are you being replaced?

You say "you don't have all these fun things for yourself anymore" which sort of makes it sound like it's about ego, you don't want to share duties in the band.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #11
Gillthenasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
I don't understand this. How are you being replaced?

You say "you don't have all these fun things for yourself anymore" which sort of makes it sound like it's about ego, you don't want to share duties in the band.

I don't really like how the new guy comes and makes me feel lousy xD

Mixed emotions I guess, jealousy, anger, dissapointment, all those xD

I just had to get this of my chest somewhere, cause I'm not feeling alright with it, and I can't explain how exactly..
Old 06-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
gorkyporky
I like pie.

You sound like an egotistical ass. Im guessing you are the vocalist as well as guitar player. Why does having another guitar player "upset" you? Im guessing just because you are no longer the only cool guy in the band. The band should be about music, and what is best for your songs and sound, not about how you personaly look on stage. I know people that had the exact same issues when they were in a band. They all got kicked out pretty quickly after that, because of their egos.

Also, maybe your friend is eager for the other guitarist to join because you are not a good enough player, and he doesn't wanna hurt your feelings.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:33 PM   #13
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Well, why do you feel 'lousy'? Pop-punk doesn't demand virtuosity, if you're both decent, then you won't have anything to worry about. If he is noticeably better than you, take it as a challenge, practice and become better than him. You both need to be mature about this, nothing's worse than two guitarists fighting for lead parts, you need a mutual respect for one anothers abilities, you'll have to be a team. Look at the plus sides, two guitarists will make your sound bigger, and will allow for harmonies, and even in Pop Punk, you'll want layered guitars and stuff to make the sound richer. Nowadays, you'll rarely be the only guitarist in a band, so you need to take this opportunity to explore the possibilities of having two guitarists, rather than shun the idea until it drives people out of the band.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:36 PM   #14
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

Quote:
I don't really like how the new guy comes and makes me feel lousy xD

Mixed emotions I guess, jealousy, anger, dissapointment, all those xD

I just had to get this of my chest somewhere, cause I'm not feeling alright with it, and I can't explain how exactly..

Because you want to be the only guitarist.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:21 PM   #15
ccannon1
Band Geek

Played with a guy like this. Had a huge ego and I ended up absolutely hating his guts after a year or so.

Get over it. You're not being replaced. You can do even more with two guitarists than you can with one. Chances are your band will sound more full, and yeah, you might not be a three piece like your pop-punk heroes but you'll probably sound better. IF you guys aren't total twats about it anyways.

Last edited by ccannon1 : 06-10-2013 at 10:22 PM.
ccannon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:14 AM   #16
koslack

I could see wanting to be the only guitarist because you feel another guitar is unnecessary - I've had bands where the music simply did not warrant another guitarist. But that's not what you're saying. So either deal with it, or try explaining to your buddy why you don't want his friends in the band. If that's what you choose... good luck with all that.
koslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
innovine

turn your amp up louder
innovine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:44 PM   #18
Gillthenasty

Like many of you have pointed out, it is my egotistical side that makes me feel how I feel, but it's just because I felt so ****ing happy when we played as a trio (don't know why), and for some reason I just don't feel as good in this four piece..

I've tried to explain, but I can't.. Not even I understand why. xD

Isn't there anyone who have felt similar feelings towards another guitars, like in my case?
Old 06-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #19
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
Like many of you have pointed out, it is my egotistical side that makes me feel how I feel, but it's just because I felt so ****ing happy when we played as a trio (don't know why), and for some reason I just don't feel as good in this four piece..

I've tried to explain, but I can't.. Not even I understand why. xD

Isn't there anyone who have felt similar feelings towards another guitars, like in my case?

It's probably because you called it a Power Trio, which made it sound grander than it actually is. In your mind, you were in a Power Trio, but in reality, you were a three piece band, nothing more. You've not 'lost power', you've just changed the setup, I've been in situations where there's been three guitarists, and as soon as you get past the 'Oh my god, there's too many guitarists!' stage, you can do some interesting things with more members, and when you get over your stage of 'too many guitarists', you'll realise how much of an advantage you have. Your audience won't give a damn how many people are on stage, they'll just care that it looks and sounds good, and there are likely to be bands playing your genre that use two guitarists, and, as a result, the sound will be more pleasant with two decent guitarists.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:45 PM   #20
HotspurJr

Also, the more band members you have, the tighter you need to do. And yes, it puts constraints on you, sometimes, that you need to be a better guitarist to overcome.

There are a lot of rewards for that, mind you, but you may to put in work to be able to get there.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: