Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
LordofHellfire

correct holding of the pick for metal ?

I wanted make sure I'm practicing correctly. Is this the correct way to hold the guitar pick ? I was having problems last week with hitting my index knuckle on the string with a different hold. This position seems the most comfortable--just needed some feedback--thanks. (Pick is a Jim Dunlop Jazz 3 nylon--hope the pictures post below)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (37.0 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (38.9 KB, 83 views)
File Type: jpg 20130610_133107.jpg (44.0 KB, 77 views)
LordofHellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #2
ExDementia
UG Freak

Hold it how ever is most comfortable, as long as it doesn't hinder your playing. I pretty much hold my pick the same way, if not a little tighter up towards the tip.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

What ExDementia said.

The ultimate picking technique for anyone is the one where you can play as relaxed as possible, without it hindering you in any way. If what you are doing now feels good to you, it's only a matter of developing it through perfect practice.

From experience, i had a picking technique before that was awful, i was tensing up way too much and i ended up hurting myself, only reason why i stuck with it was cause i could "play better" with it. (And with "play better" i mena i was under the illusion that i could). That was two years ago, and i have recently started working much on my picking again, this time with a very relaxed technique. I am still awful, cause i haven't been doing it for long enough, but i am improving constantly and it always feels good to play.

Moral of this story: Don't be like me two years ago. Examine your technique and find out if you are playing as relaxed as you can, and also see if you are tensing up much, be honest with yourself. Better to develop a good technique a bit slower than develop a bad technique and injure yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Sikkii
Decider

the pick should be comfortably perched between index finger@thumb, and just a tad off set to the left
Sikkii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #5
LordofHellfire

thanks for all the advice everyone !
LordofHellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:16 AM   #6
MattyPS

I used to hold the pick like you until just a few weeks ago. Now I slightly changed and I stick my middle finger just under the index finger. If that makes sense.
MattyPS is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: