Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
nick@lacemusic

Greetings from Lace! attempt 2

This is my second attempt to start this thread as I posted wrong the first time but we at Lace are starting it to bring you a direct link for questions, comments, critiques, and our own review links. Any questions about Lace Pickups can be answered here, so hopefully it helps assist anyone who is looking in to our completely unique designs!

A little about us; Family owned a celebrating 30+ years in the industry, started as a small garage shop by Don Lace, Sr. and continued on by his sons Jeff and Don. Our Gold and Hot Golds are a standard in some circles and the Holy Grail and P-90 are Jeff Lace's own signature creations, giving a modified feel on the classic strat tones everyone loves.

Alumitones are the ultimate revolution in tone since the first pickup was designed. With worldwide patents and incredible tone it is a technological leap in pickup design. Eliminates the ned for a battery while maintain a high resolution and certain dexterity, even split they'll be quiet as ever.

We also have monsters in metal tone; the Drop and Gain, Wino, Matt Pike's own Dirty Hesher, and the Nitro Hemi.

The Drop and Gain is developed specifically for drop tunings. Whether playing hard rock or drop-tuned, high gain metal, it will solve problems brought on from down tuning, preventing muddiness with a patented, magnetically more efficient design.

Wino loved our drop and gain but wanted more, and we gave it to him. These will deliver a more scooped, dynamic response and still maintains a silk top end. A higher resistance also offers more bottom end and bass, giving great character to a heavy, high output humbucker.

The Dirty Hesher was designed with Matt Pike to give that signature High on Fire and Sleep tone. Backed off or completely full blast, its a great replacement high output humbucker.

The Nitro Hemi is the choice of Bill Kelliher, who has them in his Gibson signature "Golden Axe" guitars. The bridge pickup is all about high output, and driving modern tone. A massive humbucker that needs NO BATTERIES for huge depth, detail and bass response.

All humbuckers can be split for single coil tones without losing the noiseless characteristics that have become a signature for Lace.

A varying range in Dually's and single coil designs make sure our high output, and clean, clear bell tones can be installed anywhere. With a range of tones replicating your favorite musician is easier than ever and will always be scary quiet.

We are also moving into bass designs, with Alumi-P's, Alumi-J's, and a whole series of "Man O War" style pickups in black covers in P, J, and Music Man styles. 4 string only.....for now?

The Alumi-P is another monster, this time revolutionizing bass tone. These reproduce quite realistically the exact resonant frequencies which a bass string produces, from bite to boom. They leave room for you to cut or boost anything you want, leaving your tone to be molded like clay; Huge, crushing, massive clay.

Man O War's will offer the tight, yet aggressive and controlled tone. Features precise harmonic content with an attitude that really cuts through. Low magnetic pull increases sustain and its broad, dynamic range drives amps and effects better. Think vintage vibe with modern punch and definition.

We are a premier designer in extended range guitar pickups and our focus on clarity and quality are at an all time high. Don't miss out on what could be a great pickup choice for you for years to come!

Thanks

Last edited by nick@lacemusic : 06-12-2013 at 12:42 PM.
nick@lacemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

First I thought I had never heard of you, but you do appear at my google search history. If you have a set that does progressive rock and progressive metal I might be interested. Something with a clean neck pickup and a bright but high gain bridge pickup.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
guitar/bass95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
nick@lacemusic

I think a Drop and Gain set can do that, maybe even do a Nitro Hemi in the neck as it has a bit more mid range to play with. They're split-able so you can get some single coil sounds in as well if thats something you're interested in. What model guitar are they going in to? Cesar Huesca has a good youtube review of the Drop and Gain if you have some spare time check it out! The Alumitones also offer a range of clarity you might not have heard before in a very different and unique design.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:34 PM   #4
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Welcome to UG

As long as you don't blatantly advertise you will be fine here.

Have a read through our Rules when you get a minute.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1588141

On Post #6 you will see links to 'dedicated' informational threads. Those may give you some ideas on how to craft a really meaningful thread that has content in it for our users. There is also an official 'Demo' thread that you are welcome to post demos in (again, as long as it is not advertising). If you are interested in advertising on UG there are additional resources regarding that you won't find here in GG&A. A word of warning if you have not picked up on it yet: We do not like advertising.

Personally, I would beef up your OP (original post) here to get some content in it.

Enjoy your stay here

Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH : 06-11-2013 at 03:49 PM.
311ZOSOVHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@lacemusic
I think a Drop and Gain set can do that, maybe even do a Nitro Hemi in the neck as it has a bit more mid range to play with. They're split-able so you can get some single coil sounds in as well if thats something you're interested in. What model guitar are they going in to? Cesar Huesca has a good youtube review of the Drop and Gain if you have some spare time check it out! The Alumitones also offer a range of clarity you might not have heard before in a very different and unique design.

I might watch it

I might as well ask questions, isn't it the point here? :P

1. A lot of pickup manufacturers, while versatile, often specialize to a certain genre. DiMarzio offers pickups for great lead players like Petrucci, Gilbert and others like that. EMG and Bare Knuckle have a strong selection of metal pickups. What genre is your speciality?

2. I live in Finland, and the large music stores here don't sell your pickups. What is the easiest way to acquire them?

3. Explain the Alumitones. What makes them different? How has the tone changed when you compare them to an ordinary pickups? I'm interested in the desing, at least they look extremely sexy.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 06-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
nick@lacemusic

Thanks i'll definitely do that! I don't wanna get banned, just help with our pickups on this thread and contribute elsewhere productively.

We don't really consider one genre a specialty, tho we do have a lot of metal guys coming our way due to the clarity they maintain while still having power to spare. Matt Pike and Wino have signature models and we will be working with Bill Kelliher on a signature pickup for him as well. Very Doom-Prog-heavy Blues. Our big focus is a consistent tone across the pickup surface and clarity in each note, no matter how complex the chord you're aiming to hear. Hindsight Distribution in the UK should stock us, i think its the closest to you. There is a link in our web store. Keep me informed with that.

With the Alumitone they are designed to have a broad, sensitive, wide band tone with loads of warmth, clarity (we like clarity haha) and headroom. the articulation on the low end is but won't send you into the mud zone when playing deeper tunings or extended range pickups, and the design is unique in that the whole pickup surface is picking up the sound unless you split it, then it can still have a single coil tone in a quiet, unique looking chassis. They are also far lighter than even most single coils so you can lose some weight on a heavier guitar and maintain a light weight on others.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

Bill Kelliher is a guitarist I recognize and respect. Points for that And UK suits fine. I'm not buying anything since I don't have money, but it's good to know my options.

And the thing is, I like clarity too. I like my high gain tone to have good note definition, ripping full six-string chords with distortion in a traditional Opeth style is in my opinion awesome. I'm certainly interested, do you have any bright bridge pickup models that are suited for metal?

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 06-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
thebestjoe

I've checked out your site, but it seems to lack information on the dually series. Can you give a synopsis of the Red-Red (In bridge position) and the Emerald-Purple (in neck)? Can these models pull off metal and still have clarity? Thanks in advance.
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #9
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Lace Golds are amazing. They possibly are the best pickups I've heard.

Here's a problem. Your Strat scratch plate doesn't line up with the 2011 onwards Strat. I bought one from a shop in the UK and the screws don't line up. When they emailed you guys, you basically said it was Fenders fault for changing the way they lined up. The pickups were already installed so it would have been a headache to argue it based on the response.

I don't agree. You guys should state the years and models that they fit and make sure that if you continue to reproduce a product that it should line up with the current model. It's not Fenders responsibility to make sure, it's yours. They're free to change their specs as you want. If they change and you advertise them as fitting for X model you should ensure that you're aware of the changes and send memos out so folk know that it won't fit X model.

Luckily the store sorted me out with a free setup otherwise I wouldn't have got any reimbursement.

Anyway, I forgive you. /rant.

Lace Golds, awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil : 06-11-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Awesome to have you here, Nick!
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Why can't I find 6 string versions of the Deathbar or X-Bar? Makes no sense.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #12
Spambot_2
UG's redhead

What single coil or sigle coil sized humbuckers would you choose to put on a Telecaster to play low tuned metal?

I'm looking for something that gives me a nice aggressive tone when playing low stuff, and still be (a bit at least :P) clear when playing more than two strings at once.

And by your knowledge, where is the best place to buy your pickups from, being in Italy?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:15 PM   #13
nick@lacemusic

A good bridge metal pickup would be the standard Hemi or the Drop and Gain, the Hemi will offer more mid range punch while the Drop and Gain will be a clear, more scooped tone, and probably a bit brighter by comparison. Running a Drop and Gain bridge with a Nitro Hemi neck offers great dexterity for clear, heavy bridge tone and a singing mid and bell high in the Nitro Hemi. Splitting them will give you a range of strat and tele tones as well. But if you want a more classic metal pickup a Hemi will still bring it for you.

As far as the pickguard is concerned i voice this to Jeff and we will be fixing it as soon as we can, as i agree it is a good idea to give people more idea into what they are buying.

The six string version of the Death Bar and X-Bar would be the Deathbucker and our standard Alumitone Humbucker. The way we build them insures the tone characteristics stay the same regardless of the the string count.

Our tele style pickup, the T-100 and T-150 will offer a good single coil punch, no noise, and be able to hang with a metal sound and still voice all your chords clean and with more power. They are in a standard black bridge and chrome neck set up.

A Red/Red is our hottest output sensor, perfect for the bridge position when you're aiming for fat, heavy punch in a high output setting. Combined with an Emerald/Purple will be a very dark, chunky sound. As for where to purchase in Italy, The Music Office in Greece should work for that, we have a list of International dealers on our website under "where to buy."
Old 06-12-2013, 01:37 PM   #14
guitar/bass95
Ambient jazz kvlt

It's really great to have you here nick You seem like a cool guy and you provide good help. One thing that bothers me is that your website doesn't have tone charts. So I really can't do comparison on my own, I'd like to find a mid to high gain bridge pickup with bright tone, but I can't conventionally check your site to see which pickups have most output and treble. Many manufacturers offer the bass/mid/treble chart and it helps a lot, you could consider adding that.

Ibanez S420
Peavey 6505 +112
Old 06-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #15
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
As far as the pickguard is concerned i voice this to Jeff and we will be fixing it as soon as we can, as i agree it is a good idea to give people more idea into what they are buying.

That's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:53 AM   #16
deadsmileyface
Banned

I like the new Matt Pike pickups.

I like Matt Pike.
deadsmileyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #17
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetime86
Awesome to have you here, Nick!

Thanks!

...Oh, right.
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 AM   #18
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
The six string version of the Death Bar and X-Bar would be the Deathbucker and our standard Alumitone Humbucker. The way we build them insures the tone characteristics stay the same regardless of the the string count.

Oh. Why the different names? Seems needlessly confusing.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 AM   #19
cliff_em_all

Nick, You da man. Imma buy some laces for my strat now.

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:32 AM   #20
diabolical

I remember having a really noisy strat and at that point in time your pickups were a bargain compared to the usual suspects so I dropped in all 3 Lace Sensors as you had a package deal. I wouldn't use anything else on single coil from then on.
Sadly the guitar got stolen and I don't remember what I had. I think it was blue in the neck, gold in mid and I think red in the bridge. Killer tone and no noise. Lace is what I recommend for single coil to my students and friends from then on.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: