Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-27-2013, 12:06 PM   #41
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Ooh I'd love to input on this.

Please, please do multiple styles. Every demo video is the same really generic stuff, either a blues lick or a country lick, or a very generic classic metal/shred riff.

Throw in some other massively popular styles too, like typical alt metal chord progressions (3DG, Linkin Park, all that kind of stuff), as well as some really brutal riffs (staccato tremolo picking, basically death/black/extreme metal riffs) and a little hardcore/metalcore and djent. I find that the general umbrella of "modern metal" is what is very sorely lacking in demos, and it's really hard for me to find demos of gear I'm interested in where the playing style and tone actually applies to me.

EDIT: So to that effect, having multiple amps would be great. I don't know what is feasible for you, but if you did just like 4 different genres of riffs, and cycle through a Fender Twin and a Marshall JCM and a Dual Rectifier and a 6505, one for each style, that would really give a very three dimensional idea of what your pickup is capable of, what it will actually sound like.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Last edited by Offworld92 : 06-27-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #42
UnmagicMushroom
Banded

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@lacemusic
Hey we've been getting requests for demo videos and samples of our pickups we were wondering what exactly you guys want out of those and what you think is lacking from ours or the "average" pickup demo. Should there be multiple guitars? one guitar on multiple styles? pickups before and after? anything will help! Thanks we really appreciate the welcome thus far!

I've never really pickup-hunted before, but here are my thoughts critiquing gear reviews in general that I've watched:
I think gear reviews should have min talking and a good chunk of demos to listen to. I cannot count the amount of reviews I've come across when people just talk endlessly about features and how awesome the gear is rather than playing the gear and letting the listener decide whether it's right for his/her application.
I'd appreciate a variety of genres in a demo. It really irks me when some reviewers think that the blues is appropriate for absolutely every piece of gear that they play. Don't get me wrong, I love the blues, but sticking solely to one genre of music when demoing hardly gives a rounded view of its capabilities. Play a bit of blues, jazz, rock, metal - the more diverse the better. Then again, if the pickup is intended to be low output classic rock vibe or something, I don't think playing death-corpse-smashing-devil-metal will be a way to go.
I think the gear should be price appropriate in accordance with the other gear being used. Like I think it's silly to put a really high-end pickup in a $3 Squier and play it through a cardboard box. I'm struggling to formulate a non-sarcastic version of this thought, but I hope you know what I mean
UnmagicMushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #43
Grawgos

I'd like to see the SAME EXACT guitar used with the different pickups played through the same exact amp with the same settings. I hate when people do vids with two completely different guitars.

Don't use some obscure amp either.

Clean, crunch and high gain would be nice.

Would love to see a deathbar vid 7 string, since I've been looking at them for sometime now and I'm still undecided.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #44
diabolical

I think you should take say 3 off the shelf guitars: Strat USA, Jackson Soloist (actives), Gibson LP, record same tune through the same amps without moving the mics/amp settings, say somewhat generic mics/cabs/amps.

As a studio engineer I've found these sounds for the most parts are really sought after:
Fender Bluesman (I guess one of the other Fender amps would do) - clean sounds
Marshall JCM800 (with overdrive, OD808) or maybe DSL - mid to high gain sounds
Mesa Dual Rectifier - high gain sounds
Vox AC30 - crunch sounds

For the most part the Marshall 1960 cab is the "industry standard" so maybe mic the two heads with that and the other two via their standard cabs.

Mics - I'd say some generic guitar mics like SM57 or e609, not moved between the original and pickup modified guitars, no effects., guitars by themselves.

I'd be happy to provide more input.
diabolical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:58 AM   #45
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Also, don't just upload them to Youtube. Put them on Soundcloud or something similar so we can actually hear some good quality, uncompressed sound tests.

Same guitar, same amp, same settings, same recording setup, etc, etc. A lot less talking as well, people just want to hear it, not the person demo'ing it. So have an introduction to what you're showing off and then have text during the clips of it with specifics, etc.

Also get a good player, but you probably have guys there who can play well. Nothing worse than a professional demo for a company and the guy can't even play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:07 AM   #46
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
So have an introduction to what you're showing off and then have text during the clips of it with specifics, etc.

This is a great idea, never thought of that before.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 06-28-2013, 07:48 AM   #47
godgrinder

Just a quick question:
Which single coil from Lace has the highest output?
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #48
Maineguitarist
Go to Mainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by godgrinder
Just a quick question:
Which single coil from Lace has the highest output?

I believe that it is Red, but I'm not completely sure.
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Maineguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:08 AM   #49
nick@lacemusic

Thanks guys this is all really helping. I definitely want to put them on Soundcloud, the youtube definitely doesn't translate the tone as well as it could.

We have:
Ibanez rg1570l
a Les Paul
an SG
and a bunch of strats.

We have a bunch of Fender amps including a Twin, but not too many outside that. That'll definitely have to be a priority. What about Drum Tracks? Personally I'm not a fan of the "full" demo with all the instruments but we can do that if it's something everyone likes. Also, is the originality of the riff a big deal? Could we just have someone playing certain bands riffs from different genres, seems the style will translate better with that kind of comparison, but could open people up to just hating on the band not listening to the pickups.

And the Red is the highest output. Its resistance is 14.5k.

Highest to Lowest:
Red - 14.5k
Blue - 12.8k
Purple - 10.5k
Burgundy - 8.9k
Light Blue - 8.0k
Silver - 7.1k
Gold -5.8k
Hot Gold - 13.2k, Mid/Neck - 6.0k
Emerald - 5.7k

Last edited by nick@lacemusic : 06-28-2013 at 11:31 AM.
nick@lacemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #50
godgrinder

Quote:
And the Red is the highest output. Its resistance is 14.5k.

Highest to Lowest:
Red - 14.5k
Blue - 12.8k
Purple - 10.5k
Burgundy - 8.9k
Light Blue - 8.0k
Silver - 7.1k
Gold -5.8k
Hot Gold - 13.2k, Mid/Neck - 6.0k
Emerald - 5.7k

Whereabouts do the Alumitone single coils sit? I mean the resistance of the Alumitones are really low but their output are probably reflected in some other way than the resistance? My Deathbucker definitely don't sound like a 5k resistance pickup.
VHT/Fryette GP3 | Verellen Meatsmoke pre | Mesa 2:90
Soldano HR50+ | Marshall 2203KK | Krank RevJr 50 | Holden 50
Orange PPC412 | Laney GS412 | Mesa Thiele 112 | Alron 115
godgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:29 AM   #51
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Quote:
Thanks guys this is all really helping. I definitely want to put them on Soundcloud, the youtube definitely doesn't translate the tone as well as it could.

We have:
Ibanez rg1570l
a Les Paul
an SG
and a bunch of strats.

We have a bunch of Fender amps including a Twin, but not too many outside that. That'll definitely have to be a priority. What about Drum Tracks? Personally I'm not a fan of the "full" demo with all the instruments but we can do that if it's something everyone likes. Also, is the originality of the riff a big deal? Could we just have someone playing certain bands riffs from different genres, seems the style will translate better with that kind of comparison, but could open people up to just hating on the band not listening to the pickups.

Depends on how long you're trying to make your demos. The best demos are the ones that have comparisons of the guitar signal by itself, and then the signal with a full mix. No post EQ or anything. That gives a full "3D" idea of what your product is going to sound like.

Whether the riff is original or not doesn't matter at all to me - just as long as the style(s) are clear and distinct.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 07-02-2013, 05:31 PM   #52
diabolical

I think generic riffs in each genre should be fine.

Could be nice to do a song in each style later to showcase the full production value, maybe just notes on the fx chain on each guitar, what guitar was used, pickups, etc. would be nice. Like L channel Fender strat with whatever pickup, R channel SG with whatever pickup, solo with Ibanez and whatever pickup and so forth...
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #53
nick@lacemusic

The Alumitone is designed differently to make the output determined by the surface area of the whole pickup not just the resistance. So an 8 string 5.0 deathbar is going to have greater output than a 5.0 deathbucker simply because its bigger.

Thanks for all the video help, what would be the best go-to hardware to start all this? I'm personally new to the hardware side of things, what would be good for starting up? I want to translate the tone as directly as possible to show the variations so i know that can push things into a big price range.

We also some exciting news! we have the first Drop and Gain 7 String in beta testing, so far we have EMG-sized active route replacements in the works and are looking into getting our whole line in 7 strings as well as 8 and once we have them all in active routes we're going to spec out the passive size. They will be available very soon. Is the passive route more popular or active would you guys say? Rock on.

Last edited by nick@lacemusic : 07-10-2013 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
cliff_em_all

I can't find your A+r department to email nick

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #55
nick@lacemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_em_all
I can't find your A+r department to email nick

Its Jared@Lacemusic.com. He's at Summer NAMM with Jeff this week but will be back next week to answer questions again.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #56
diabolical

Quote:
what would be the best go-to hardware to start all this? I'm personally new to the hardware side of things, what would be good for starting up? I want to translate the tone as directly as possible to show the variations so i know that can push things into a big price range.

Depends on the style, for the high gain stuff with active pups it is usually some kind of Soloist type guitar (Jackson Soloist, Schecter, Ibanez) through high gain amp, Marshall JVM, Engl, Mesa Boogie Dual/Triple Rec.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:42 AM   #57
cliff_em_all

Quote:
Its Jared@Lacemusic.com. He's at Summer NAMM with Jeff this week but will be back next week to answer questions again.

My mother wanted to call me Jared, So i feel this application is going to go well.

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
cliff_em_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #58
tim_mop

This is a great thread! Wish more manufacturers would do this!

Nick, I'm looking for a pickup change in my Ibanez S470, wondering what you might suggest. Genres I play vary from Indie (christian) rock to the 'softer' end of heavy metal. I also dabble in Jazz but that's not quite as important.

What lace pickups would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Also, the thing I want to hear most in pickup demos is a comparison between the stock pickups for the guitar in question and the new set. It really frustrates me when there are so many variables and no reference sound!
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #59
nick@lacemusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff_em_all
My mother wanted to call me Jared, So i feel this application is going to go well.

The bond of trust is already building, i can feel it in my nuggets.

Yeah i think a Schecter is a really good middle ground guitar especially for the upcoming seven string stuff we have. We might have to try and get a Marshall in here, it seems like the best middle ground for rock/metal styles. Everyone trusts a Marshall right? ha a Les Paul and SG would probably be used for the blues and classic rock styles.

I'd say if you're going for the softer sides you would want to look into some of the dually configurations so you can split into single coil modes if you wanted to for more tone options, maybe a Blue/Gold, or Red/Silver, or Hot Golds might be interesting in that set up. What kind of output are you looking for?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #60
tim_mop

Quote:
I'd say if you're going for the softer sides you would want to look into some of the dually configurations so you can split into single coil modes if you wanted to for more tone options, maybe a Blue/Gold, or Red/Silver, or Hot Golds might be interesting in that set up. What kind of output are you looking for?

This aimed at me? If so, I'm looking for medium-to-high output. Nothing insane, but definitely not vintage (if that makes any sense!). It'd be a waste not to coil split when doing soldering anyway, so that's definitely an option!

Could you send me some internet links to your recommendations? I can't seem to find them on the site!
tim_mop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: