Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #81
chivesmcpoe

Hey guys, was looking to stick new pups in my LTD super strat. It currently just has EMG-designed humbuckers.
a) I know this is an obvious question but just how much of a difference will upgrading from these humbuckers make?
b) I was considering a deathbucker in the bridge and a nitro-hemi in the neck. I'm just curious as to which is a heavier bridge pickup, the deathbucker or another nitro-hemi in the bridge?

Thanks!
Vox AC15
chivesmcpoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #82
nick@lacemusic

@chivesmcpoe - Thanks for your interest in Lace! The Deathbucker when compared to an EMG is going to be much more articulate and clear, and will have an almost chime to the B and high E string. The Nitro Hemi is going to be very big in the neck and add a lot of mid range and more control over the bass response in your amp, but its going to sound very smooth. If you wanna hear these pickups maxed out Matt Pike runs a custom version on youtube for his signature "Dirty Hesher." Overall you're going to boost the range of your EQ and once these two have their respective "sweet spots" you'll be quite pleased. If you're looking for more boom and less articulation i would go with the Nitro Hemi in the Bridge as well and if you want more heavy scooped tone but still our sensor style maybe even a Drop and Gain, thats our go-to in comparison to the EMG 81. Are the EMG's you're replacing active or passive?
nick@lacemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #83
chivesmcpoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@lacemusic
@chivesmcpoe - Thanks for your interest in Lace! The Deathbucker when compared to an EMG is going to be much more articulate and clear, and will have an almost chime to the B and high E string. The Nitro Hemi is going to be very big in the neck and add a lot of mid range and more control over the bass response in your amp, but its going to sound very smooth. If you wanna hear these pickups maxed out Matt Pike runs a custom version on youtube for his signature "Dirty Hesher." Overall you're going to boost the range of your EQ and once these two have their respective "sweet spots" you'll be quite pleased. If you're looking for more boom and less articulation i would go with the Nitro Hemi in the Bridge as well and if you want more heavy scooped tone but still our sensor style maybe even a Drop and Gain, thats our go-to in comparison to the EMG 81. Are the EMG's you're replacing active or passive?

They're passive, bottom of the line EMGs.
The guitar body is a through-neck and made of agathis so it's naturally pretty bright.
I messaged Lace customer support last night and got a reply saying the nitro-hemi in the neck will probably more powerful then the deathbucker in the bridge, which is not really what i'm after.
How does the drop and gain compare in the bridge to a nitro-hemi in standard tuning?
Thanks again!
Vox AC15
chivesmcpoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 07:08 PM   #84
nick@lacemusic

Ah i think i know what you have. Right on sounds like an awesome guitar, it would be a bit of tinkering but you could get the same push but the tonal difference will be night and day from the DB to a Nitro Hemi. The Drop and Gain is going to give you a flat powerful tone thats easy to work and mix with, and its got a naturally mid-scooped tone compared to a Nitro Hemi. The Nitro Hemi is a monster of midrange, so a lot of people like to pair the Drop and Gain bridge with a Hemi neck. I personally like the "Lifer," its a Drop and Gain with more chime on the high end paired with a Hesher. The chrome covers are different logos but the tone is worth it! Both are great for standard tuning, a Drop and Gain pushes about 24k bridge and 12 neck, while a Nitro Hemi is 19k bridge and 15k neck so output changes slightly. They'll both be wicked quiet and responsive so the lightest touch makes sound and stopping the notes stops the sound, its awesome.
nick@lacemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:30 PM   #85
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

Hey!

Anybody knows what happened with the lace custom shop that could let you buy pickups with transparent covers?
And more importantly... anybody knows if this site is legit? Lace direct
Carvin 112 cab in White

Last edited by YamiFrankc : 11-29-2013 at 11:31 PM.
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: