User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #21
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcrumpen
I have never changed anything other than strings on my guitar is pickup height something that can be done by a "dummy" or should i get it done by a pro

All it takes is a screwdriver. There are springs in there to help raise or lower the pickups. Higher with give a more defined sound, maybe more treble, I think. I don't mess with it much. Raising them a little might help your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #22
Tcrumpen

Just tried to play the fast down picking section of Master of Puppets, and other than not being able to do it to speed as all the notes blur together in a bad way making it sound horrid, my right hand/arm was rather tense, i tried to loosen it up, but in doing so i lost the "fire" at which i attacked the strings

Am i loosening up too much?
Tcrumpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #23
ExDementia
UG Freak

It just takes practice. No one technique is going to suddenly work, it just takes time a patience. Muscle memory is everything when playing guitar.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
steven seagull
not really a seagull

Quote:
Just tried to play the fast down picking section of Master of Puppets, and other than not being able to do it to speed as all the notes blur together in a bad way making it sound horrid, my right hand/arm was rather tense, i tried to loosen it up, but in doing so i lost the "fire" at which i attacked the strings

Am i loosening up too much?

And there's your problem right there.

You just need to be more patient because the longer you play guitar the less "instant wins" you'll find. You're currently trying to play a pretty tricky riff, especially if you want to play it all downstrokes. No amount of "trying different things" is going to fix the problem, what you need is practice and that's going to take time whichever way you approach it.

Slow things down, work on hitting the notes accurately, in time and with a minimum of extraneous movement, keep your motions controlled. work at it and you will get it right but it's not going to happen overnight,

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 01:52 PM   #25
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
And there's your problem right there.

You just need to be more patient because the longer you play guitar the less "instant wins" you'll find. You're currently trying to play a pretty tricky riff, especially if you want to play it all downstrokes. No amount of "trying different things" is going to fix the problem, what you need is practice and that's going to take time whichever way you approach it.

Slow things down, work on hitting the notes accurately, in time and with a minimum of extraneous movement, keep your motions controlled. work at it and you will get it right but it's not going to happen overnight,

I had already tried to play MoP last year and encountered the same kinda problem i wanted to see if a year of general playing had improved me and it did, but not enough to be able to play it at a respectable speed
Old 06-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #26
CelestialGuitar
Celestial Wish Guitarist

Quote:
I had already tried to play MoP last year and encountered the same kinda problem i wanted to see if a year of general playing had improved me and it did, but not enough to be able to play it at a respectable speed

Playing in general won't help you improve after a certain point, learning songs you can already play won't make you magically better after you do them for long enough, that's why you have some guitarists who've been playing for three years making some guitarists who've played for ten years look silly. You'll have to start slowing things down and building up speed to improve certain techniques.

Gear

Mesa Dual Rectifier
TC Electronic Polytune
T Rex MAB Overdrive
Boss NS-2
ESP Horizon NT See Thru Black (D Standard)

Celestial Wish on Youtube
CelestialGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
ExDementia
UG Freak

Quote:
You have to work on that specific technique that the song uses, otherwise you won't get anywhere on that song. That would be like wanting to play a tapping section and spending a year playing other things and coming back to it expecting to be able to do it.

Practice is the only way. Period.

You can concentrate on the minute details of technique all day, but in the end, only practice will get you there. It takes time. Lots and lots of time to build up the muscle memory needed to play guitar well. James Hetfield got to the point where he can play riff backwards while being hung upside down in a vat of milk because he played it over and over and over and over again -- not because he really concentrated on the angle that he held his pick, or the way his hand looked while playing.

Last edited by ExDementia : 06-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
ExDementia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 PM   #28
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelestialGuitar
Playing in general won't help you improve after a certain point, learning songs you can already play won't make you magically better after you do them for long enough, that's why you have some guitarists who've been playing for three years making some guitarists who've played for ten years look silly. You'll have to start slowing things down and building up speed to improve certain techniques.

Yep. I've been playing seven years and people who have been playing way less are a lot better. They have better practice habits and are consistent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:16 PM   #29
ShreddinShane

Just take it slowly and don't get frustrated. Take that Metallica song and play it at 1/3 speed a few times. Making sure you mute and pick the correct way. Then try it a little faster while continuing to really focus on muting and articulation. Then at 75%.

If you do this and stay patient and repeat this you will get it. Don't get too down on yourself though. We all had to learn the same things and we all went way to fast at first.
ShreddinShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM   #30
Tcrumpen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShreddinShane
Just take it slowly and don't get frustrated. We all went way to fast at first.

that's what she said
Old 06-13-2013, 05:49 PM   #31
ShreddinShane

Quote:
that's what she said

also true
ShreddinShane is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: