Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Chorstman

Anchoring vs. Muting

Hey Everyone,

I've noticed a lot of professional players hold their picking hand in a sort of anchoring way. I don't think they are actually anchoring I think its more of a string muting thing, but could someone clarify this for me. A lot of players seem to hang the middle, ring and pinky in a sort of anchoring position. Is this a good thing to do? I will post some links below.

Thanks

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=qGSiG416C3A (remove space) at 6:43 he holds his hand like this almost every time he solos. With the middle, ring and pinky hanging over.

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=o0oY3mE2fxc at 15:33 you can see it clearly.

http://www.youtube. com/watch?v=4fk2prKnYnI right from the beginning his hand is in this position.

I see most players do this, but why?
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

None of those guitarists are doing anything particularly strenuous with the picking hand, it doesn't matter that much what they do as long as they keep the strings quiet when they don't want them to sound.

It's fine to have parts of your hand touching the guitar, the really important thing is that it doesn't cause extra tension in your hand or inhibit your movement at all. The best way of doing this is to make sure that if you're touching the guitar that you're not fixing your hand to a certain point on the body, you need to have the freedom to move when you want to and not be stuck in one place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Chorstman

So as long as you can move your hand and aren't causing tension in your hand you aren't really anchoring? And also I notice all of these players and pretty much every blues/rock player I looked at use an open fist picking grip. Is there any benefit to this?
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Geldin

Yes. That is exactly what he means.

The album is streaming here
Geldin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorstman
And also I notice all of these players and pretty much every blues/rock player I looked at use an open fist picking grip. Is there any benefit to this?

For the most part, it's all preference. However, if you'd approach this question from a pure technical/economy perspective, I'd say it's better to tuck your fingers into a loosely clenched fist, since with everything being in balance your overall control will improve. Ofcourse, that would take some time getting used to. Another reason would be the fact that tucking in your fingers could enable for easier hybrid picking, but I don't really have any substantial proof for that.

Again, it's preference for the most part. Plenty of professionals out there who fan out their other fingers.

Last edited by My Last Words : 06-12-2013 at 06:12 AM.
My Last Words is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: