Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
JKing138

Flats with thump and growl?

As the title suggests, I'm after trying medium gauge flats. I've done some research and found that fender and roto 77's are well thought of. I'm looking for a set with punch/thump and a thick mid sound with some growl, they're going on a VM Jazz so I would like to keep some of the Jazz growl. I play rock, reggae type stuff so could you guys suggest a set thats not going to cost a fortune but cover the tone I'm after? Cheers
JKing138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Thump and growl are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are the best you'll find.
Spaz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #3
JKing138

I Know it might sound contradictory to say thump and growl, but my understanding it that thump comes from lo-mids and bass and growl comes from hi-mids. I may be mistaken.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Not exactly. Luckily you have a jazz bass so getting either tone is easy for you with any strings. For growl, solo the bridge pickup with the tone wide open and play near the bridge. For thump, both pickups with tone rolled off.

You'll want flexible strings for playing near the bridge and, as flats are a good deal stiffer, I recommend 90 or 100 rather than 105 or 110. Chrome and nickel plated shift a bit more easily than solid stainless steel, they also feel much better on your fingertips.

TI Jazz Flats. The best money can buy really.

Ernie Ball Chromes My choice, simply because they're easy to find. D'Addario Chromes are quite popular too.

Roto 77s. Don't get drawn in by the prices. These suck in my opinion.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:37 PM   #5
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

If you want to spend quite a few bucks (US$70.00), you could always try Pyramid Gold flatwounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Sounds like you want a half/ground wound string....

LaBella's Quarter Rounds are great strings and not "sticky" as other half/ground wound strings.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Zaqq

Quote:
For growl, solo the bridge pickup with the tone wide open and play near the bridge. For thump, both pickups with tone rolled off.

We have different definitions of growl. For growl is both pickups on full tone with mids/highs boosted. But I have no idea what's "thump".
Zaqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
JKing138

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark Mass
Sounds like you want a half/ground wound string....

LaBella's Quarter Rounds are great strings and not "sticky" as other half/ground wound strings.

Do the half wounds last like the flats do?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #9
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKing138
Do the half wounds last like the flats do?

No but they do last longer compared to roundwounds.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
JKing138

What are the tonal differences in chrome, nickel plated and stainless steel? And which retain their tone the longest?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Chromes don't sound noticeably different from nickel-plated strings. Stainless steel strings are a lot brighter with a sharper attack - at least, the roundwound ones are. I think that most stainless steel strings lose their tone first, followed by the nickel-plated strings and the chromes. Now, since we are talking about a fretless bass, all of those strings are good to loast a good, long time. With no frets to wear away at the strings, they will not require frequent string changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
JKing138

Its a fretted jazz, no one mentioned fretless. But thamks for the input about the string material.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #13
Spaz91
Turd polisher

There's a similar thread regarding fretlessleslesles. The beams must have crossed.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
dark Mass
邪魔よ&

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKing138
Its a fretted jazz, no one mentioned fretless. But thamks for the input about the string material.

Chrome strings aren't actually pure chromium instead they're stainless steel with higher than usual chromium content. About .015% more compared to D'Addario's Prosteels and .027% more than Rotosound 66's.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #15
JKing138

I've really over looked strings, its the one thing I've not looked in to. I'm trying to get the tones I want from my right hand and bass rather then all the gear I usually use. Are the coated strings all that different? I don't fancy spending 50+ on strings I don't get on with, although I realise its going to be trial and error to find what I'm looking for.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Phil Starr

Flats last forever so they don't work out as expensive over the long term. The sound doesn't change much over time though I guess replacing mine would liven them up a bit. They don't ring out like rounds and they have a really characteristic sound of their own. They don't lack definition and you can dial in a bit of growl but if you want an aggressive sound they are not the way to go. Best for the bassist who wants to sit under the rest of the band rather than compete for the mid range frequencies. Don't know where you got 50 from, I paid just over 20 for mine from Mansons.

I have my Jazz set up with them, with the neck pup the sound is warm and rich, ideal for pop or folk. Dial in the bridge pup and you get a sound with a lot more character, sort of woody/flutey sounding and a touch of snarl when I work the strings hard. Never as aggressive as say, a P-Bass fitted with Rotos though.

Everyone should try flats at some time but be prepared to love or hate them, they are different. Not the way to get punch or growl though, they major in deep and warm.
Phil Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM   #17
JKing138

Some sets that I've seen recommended elsewhere have been around 50, I know you can get some for far less.
The sound seems to be down to personal taste, some say they have more punch in the mix then rounds. I'm just going to have to try them out.
I'm not after aggressive, hence why I'm curious about flats, I just thought I would sample the collective wisdom of the UG forum.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:01 AM   #18
smb

I've used LaBella flats for years now, last time I experimented with strings they seemed to be the most balanced tonally. As far as flats go, they're at the brighter end of the spectrum and there's still a bit of growl rather than just being all thuddy if that makes sense
smb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #19
JKing138

Yeah it does. Bought a set of 45-105 la bellas the other day. not put them on just yet though.

Rate This Thread: